Sondheim's Sweeney Todd to DVD April 20

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Sondheim's Sweeney Todd to DVD April 20

This is the one released by RKO over 20 years ago

Per Playbill.com

On April 20 Warner Home Video will release the 1982 television version of Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street on DVD. Co-starring Lansbury and George Hearn, this version of Sweeney won three Emmy Awards and three Cable Ace Awards when it originally aired. Although the 139-minute recording will not include bonus features, the original video and audio masters have been restored and remixed, and the new DVD will be presented in full-screen with Dolby 5.1 audio. In a statement, Warner Home Video Senior Vice President George Feltenstein said, "It was the multiple camera work and direction in this TV version that created the ground breaking sense of intimacy and fluid movement. The genius of Sondheim’s score, Harold Prince’s phenomenal stage direction, and the amazing performances of Angela Lansbury and George Hearn are beautifully preserved in this outstanding production... While sadly, some original productions of [Sondheim's] other hits — like Company, Follies, and A Little Night Music — are lost to the memories of those lucky enough to have seen them, we’re fortunate that the producers of Sweeney Todd... had the foresight to preserve it for the ages. The WHV restoration from the original antiquated videotape masters makes Sweeney Todd...look and sound better than ever. Even people familiar with this production from earlier VHS and broadcast incarnations will be awed by the great improvement in picture and sound."
Old 01-31-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news! This production is a knock-out - glad I can retire my VHS copy at last!
Old 01-31-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dare I get my hopes up?!?!?
Not yet...
Not until the dvd is in my hands...

"At last my arm is complete again!"
Old 01-31-04, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very exciting news about what is perhaps the greatest musical ever written.
Old 02-03-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This title was at the very top of my wishlist. Great news!
Old 02-03-04, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait! I haven't seen this since I was a kid, when it aired on PBS. I remember for years there were rumors that Tim Burton would direct a film adaptation. I assume that's long dead?
Old 02-03-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From broadway.com... (July 2003)

Mendes in Talks to Helm Sweeney Todd Film

As previously reported, Steven Spielberg wants to bring Sweeney Todd to the big screen, and there is already a director in negotiations to work on the project. Sam Mendes is in talks to direct the motion picture for Spielberg's company DreamWorks SKG (the studio which Spielberg founded in 1994 with Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen), according to Variety.

Sweeney Todd, which features a score by Sondheim and a book by Hugh Wheeler, tells the tale of the "demon barber of Fleet Street," fresh out of jail for a crime he did not commit, who cooks up a macabre revenge scheme with his dazzlingly demented accomplice, Mrs. Lovett. Sweeney Todd premiered on Broadway in 1979, winning eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical.

Mendes is currently represented on Broadway by the revivals of Cabaret and Gypsy, which features lyrics by Sondheim. A well-known theater director, Mendes' film career took off in 1999 when his American Beauty won five Academy Awards, including Best Director. He has since directed the film Road to Perdition, which was nominated for six Academy Awards.

If all goes as planned, Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald will produce the film for DreamWorks.