DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Charade Criterion BACK IN PRINT (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/344366-charade-criterion-back-print.html)

Pants 01-30-04 03:59 PM

Charade Criterion BACK IN PRINT

After being unavailable for nearly three years, Criterion's DVD of Stanley Donen's classic spy thriller Charade is coming back in print this spring. The Charade re-release will feature an all-new 16x9-enhanced high-definition digital transfer, in addition to all the supplements featured on the original release. Look for Charade in April of this year.

Johnny Zhivago 01-30-04 04:07 PM

Good news on the new transfer.

Guess it's time to dump The Truth About Charlie... I still haven't bothered with watching that flick... :lol:

mookiemeister 01-30-04 04:20 PM

Good news. Too bad I already have Charade Criterion. Maybe I'll upgrade to the anamorphic transfer when I get HDTV.

HistoryProf 01-30-04 04:50 PM

Guess i might as well ebay my non-anamorphic copy while the gettin's good....I wonder if this will have the same commentary or any other extras added?

bboisvert 01-30-04 05:51 PM

Fantastic news! Not only for me, a current owner (who will gladly upgrade for an anamorphic transfer)... but for people who don't own this yet (the Criterion supplements are fantastic...)

etrnlevol 01-30-04 05:55 PM

Very good news to me since I missed out on it the first time around. This time I am picking it up. Also, nice to know it has a better transfer cause now I don't feel so bad about not being able to get it before :)

speedy1961 01-30-04 06:00 PM

Finally!

SideShow 01-30-04 06:07 PM

Aww, now I feel less special with my copy :\ Not really, that's great news for the fans that didn't get it the first time around. Thanks for posting the news!

illennium 01-30-04 06:41 PM

Awesome!

theneobez 01-30-04 06:43 PM

Excellent, my friend will be very happy to hear this.

darkside 01-30-04 06:55 PM

My favorite film. I have the current Criterion, but will probably upgrade for the new transfer.

Cornelius1047 01-30-04 06:56 PM

Has it really been 3 years since this movie went OOP? It feels more like a year and a half, tops. Maybe time is just flying by for me. Hmm. I'm not sure if I've seen this movie (I think I may have), but I like Hitchcock, so maybe I'll give it a rent and if I like it, I'll pick up the new Criterion edition when it's released. Does Audrey Heburn play a blind woman in it? Is Audrey Heburn even in it? Am I confusing this with something else?

K

TopHatCat64 01-30-04 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Does Audrey Heburn play a blind woman in it? Is Audrey Heburn even in it? Am I confusing this with something else?
Audrey Hepburn does NOT play a blind woman in this, you're thinking of Wait Until Dark (another excellent film).

Yes she's in Charade.

FilmFanSea 01-30-04 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
I'm not sure if I've seen this movie (I think I may have), but I like Hitchcock, so maybe I'll give it a rent and if I like it, I'll pick up the new Criterion edition when it's released.
Hitchcock didn't direct Charade--Stanley Donen did.

quackers 01-30-04 08:14 PM

Charade is called by some the best Hitchcock movie Hitchcock never directed, or something like that.

Thats good news for those that haven't gotten this yet, I may get the new transfer.

lesterlong 01-30-04 08:18 PM

I'm kinda peeved. I really loved this movie, but I don't I can re-buy it.

Tarnower 01-30-04 08:24 PM

Figures. I just ordered this used from a seller on Amazon last Sunday. He's already shipped it out. I'll probably just give it to my brother. I definitely want the new version with the better transfer.

eau 01-30-04 09:15 PM

Suddenly ebay is swamped with new listings for the OOP disc today...

jayson1017 01-30-04 09:26 PM

Originally posted by quackers
Charade is called by some the best Hitchcock movie Hitchcock never directed, or something like that.

Actually that designation goes to Clouzot's Diabolique.

According to allmovie.com:

"The greatest film that Alfred Hitchcock never made..."

HistoryProf 01-30-04 11:44 PM

Actually, "the greatest Hitchcock movie Hitchcock never directed" is a direct tagline from Charade....

And someone was kind enough to take mine off my hands 2 hours after listing it today on ebay :D

eau 01-31-04 12:30 AM

Originally posted by brizz
And someone was kind enough to take mine off my hands 2 hours after listing it today on ebay :D
how much did it go for?

HistoryProf 01-31-04 12:35 AM

I low-balled just to be sure it would sell...I got $35 for it which will pay for the new one ( and is $7 more than i paid for it)....fair enough as far as i'm concerned. I imagine ebay will be flooded with them a la scarface once the news gets out.

Ginwen 01-31-04 01:12 AM

Since I don't have a WS or HDTV, no reason for me to upgrade, but this is good news for everyone who didn't get it before.

Hopefully, someday, more of the OOP Criterions I missed come back in print.

Cornelius1047 01-31-04 02:21 AM

Samsonite! I was way off!

K

steebo777 01-31-04 06:15 AM

I may have to pick this release up.