Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Budget Home Theatre Sound - Need a system that doesn't suck for under $500

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-29-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Title explains it all. My wife set a budget of $500 and I must comply.

I have a dvd player and television, but nothing else. I don't need a loud system, just one that has good clean sound with a decent bass response. Thanks!
Old 01-29-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Onkyo HTS760 system would be my recommendation. Can usually be had for just about $500 (and sometimes under) at Circuit City and Fry's Electronics. At this price point, it seems to have the best inputs (component, optical audio, etc.), handle the most audio types, and have the highest quality. It's gotten good reviews from Consumer Reports and some of the audiophile Web sites.

Last edited by Walter Neff; 01-29-04 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's a good current deal (courtesy of FatWallet) on a 5.1 Cerwin Vega home theater speaker system ($159.99): Speakers

Here are a couple of suggestions for a good receiver deal within your budget from etronics:

Panasonic SA-HE200K $279.99: http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=4118

Pioneer VSX-D912K $324.99: http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=4118

I think a system comprised of either receiver along with the speaker setup would stack up very nicely against the Onkyo that Walter suggested, although it is also my understanding that the HTS760 has indeed been pegged by some as the best 'bang-for-the-buck' deal in HTIB (home theater in a box).

I'm also sure, having done just a quick search, that there are deals out there equal to or better than the receivers I picked, although both are apparently well-regarded by audiophiles as budget picks (I'm fairly familiar with the subject now, as I'm also in the midst of what's become a months-long search for a new receiver). You might also try the HTF and AVS forums for more info on home theater receiver/speaker choices/deals.

Edit: Looks like the speaker package is on backorder at buy.com, but Amazon has it for $179.88 with free shipping (not sure how much shipping would be at buy.com): Speakers at Amazon

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-29-04 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Onkyo has good clean sound and great low end response. I got the HTB660 for around $400 and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-29-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with the Onkyo.
Old 01-29-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Onkyo seems to have some satisfied customers. I also like the price on the Cerwin-Vega speakers. Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 01-29-04, 11:33 PM

The Fry's Electronics here has had the 5.1 Onkyo HTIB on sale for $299 a few times this month. That is pretty hard to beat. Normally, their sale price on it is $349. I suggest you see the system in person since it may not be the right one for you.

The system I like at $500 is the Cambridge Soundworks MovieWorks 58 and Sony STR-DE595. I know people have issues with the Sony DE receivers but at $500, you are either going to get bad speakers or a bad receiver. The Sony should be fine if you don't push it to its limits. I think this is a good all around set-up.

You are going to find that the quality of systems in your price range will vary greatly. You really should check them all out before selecting one.
Old 01-30-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Wannabe
I also like the price on the Cerwin-Vega speakers. Thanks for all of the responses.
You did indicate you wanted good sounding system so I would steer well clear of Cerwin Vega speakers!
Old 01-30-04, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Frank S
You did indicate you wanted good sounding system so I would steer well clear of Cerwin Vega speakers!
Although there seem to be some decent customer reviews around for that particular package, in the interest of providing something that might satisfy Frank (and others), here's a 5.0 setup [no sub, but with floorstanding fronts instead of satellites] from Fluance (Canadian maker getting some good feedback on audiophile boards) for $199: http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

Frank, you're certainly welcome to suggest an alternative, keeping in mind that we're not talking about a B&W-and-up budget.

Edit: For more info on this Fluance speaker package, there's a long thread at Anandtech and shorter ones at HTF and FatWallet. Here are some reviews:

AudioReview owner reviews (like e-pinions)

[grain of salt] Customer testimonials at Fluance [/grain of salt]

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-30-04 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-30-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check out the Tykes at http://www.av123.com

If you call them they'll put together a package with a Denon receiver for you.
Old 01-30-04, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
Check out the Tykes at http://www.av123.com

If you call them they'll put together a package with a Denon receiver for you.
Rockets are certainly nice, but since the Tykes are $499.00 I don't see how he can stay within his $500 budget -- will Onix throw in a 1604 for $1?
Old 01-30-04, 01:19 PM

Speaking of Denon, here's what seems to be a good deal on a factory-refurbished 1804, for $278.31 at eCost, apparently with free shipping: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...=297873#scroll

.... and a factory-refurbished Onkyo 501 (comparable, I think, to the receiver in the HT-S760) for $184.95 with free shipping: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...=157373#scroll

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-30-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
[B]Frank, you're certainly welcome to suggest an alternative, keeping in mind that we're not talking about a B&W-and-up budget.
I am not suggesting a high end system. I am suggesting that since he has a $500 budget he can do MUCH better then Cerwin Vega which are less then $200 (as was suggested something like Onkyo HTS760 system would be a good choice) . I have yet to hear ANY Cerwin Vega speakers that sound good and since the original poster wants good sound this is why i warned him off of Cerwin Vega,
Old 01-30-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NikePenguin
The system I like at $500 is the Cambridge Soundworks MovieWorks 58 and Sony STR-DE595. I know people have issues with the Sony DE receivers but at $500, you are either going to get bad speakers or a bad receiver. The Sony should be fine if you don't push it to its limits.
I'd avoid the Sony, even here. Its 'limits' are far lower than you'd like. And, in my experience (I uysed to have CS speakers as a 2nd setup), the Onkyo speakers are at least as good as (probably better than) the CS's. And the Onkyo receiver is *definitely* better than the Sony!!

I've also heard good things about the Fluance speakers (but haven't heard them myself).
Old 01-30-04, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Frank S
(as was suggested something like Onkyo HTS760 system would be a good choice)
Well, at least this time you actually recommended something

Edit: I still take issue with your blanket statement on Cerwin Vega speakers, though; the looking around I've done on this particular package makes it sound like the general feeling is CV did a good job with this. Now if you had said "stay away from Bose!" instead, I could understand completely. Aside from what appears to be for you a string of unfortunate experiences with CV, however, it seems that particularly in the budget HT category this 5.1 set is indeed a respectable alternative.

Edit2: I also couldn't tell from your response whether you realize his $500 budget also needs to provide a receiver to go with the speakers (yes, that Onkyo HTIB does include a receiver) .... so the CV speakers would leave room for a decent receiver such as the Panny or Pioneer I linked.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-30-04 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 03:15 PM

All of the differing opinions shows just how hard it is to put something decent together for less than $500.

I have seen the Onkyo system and the speakers seemed rather cheap to me. Onkyo does make good receivers but I have to doubt the one in this HTIB is of the same quality. The fact that it is 100W/ch when their TX-SR501 is rated at 65W/ch surely indicates they are not using the same quality components. My advice is still to check it out to see if it meets your requirements.

I know it doesn't indicate sound quality, but the CSW speakers do have a 10 year warranty which they really stand behind. It does, however, say a lot about the build quality.

I am not trying to say my suggestion is the best one. Since a $500 system is a big challenge to put together, the more options you consider, the better chance you have of getting the right one for you.

One thing you should consider is the trade-off you want to make between the quality of speakers and of the receiver. Take into consideration the possibility of upgrading one or the other in the future even if you can't plan on it now. Some would suggest spending more on speakers now since they will make the biggest noticable impact on the system. Of course, others would say get a good receiver now and get the better speakers later or just a good pair for now.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the great advice, all.

Originally posted by NikePenguin
Take into consideration the possibility of upgrading one or the other in the future even if you can't plan on it now. Some would suggest spending more on speakers now since they will make the biggest noticable impact on the system. Of course, others would say get a good receiver now and get the better speakers later or just a good pair for now.
Okay, if I just wanted a 2.1 setup for the time being (with the intention of upgrading later), how would that change my options then? I think that I'd rather go lower end on the receiver and higher on the speakers. Again, this is maintaining the $500 budget. Thanks!
Old 01-30-04, 04:30 PM

Okay, if I just wanted a 2.1 setup for the time being (with the intention of upgrading later), how would that change my options then? I think that I'd rather go lower end on the receiver and higher on the speakers. Again, this is maintaining the $500 budget. Thanks!
I think that might also be a viable option.

Did you mean 2.0, as in buying a receiver plus 2 floor-standing front speakers? If so, maybe the refurb Onkyo 501 plus these Fluance speakers for $270: http://www.fluance.com/fluansmblac.html

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-30-04 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 10:25 PM

I think NikePenguin is on the right track with the budget involved; maybe you should, as you discussed above, go with a good pair of speakers for now, along with a small sub, to go with a decent receiver. I suggest you look for a pair of good bookshelf speakers, not floor-standers, as you may be able to get more for your money with a pair of good small speakers and a small sub. Then, later, when you expand the system, you can use the bookshelf speakers as surrounds and maybe go with floorstanding front speakers along with a center speaker to match the new fronts. Anyway, just an idea. As far as the speakers to look at for a 2.1:

This Dayton sub ($124.88 with free shipping) has gotten good user reviews over at HTF and AVS: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7

The Paradigm Atoms have gotten *excellent* pro and user reviews ($189/pr) (recently won the AVS member poll for best value in small bookshelf speakers); here's the Stereophile review (please note that we're talking about nit-picky audio geeks reviewing here! ): http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/664/

That would leave (almost) enough to get the refurb Onkyo 501, although you could keep looking around and you might find a better deal on that or something similar.

Edit: One receiver I hadn't mentioned yet but which has also gotten good user reviews at HTF/AVS is the Panasonic SA-XR25, a digital-amp receiver that can be had (new, not refurb) for approx. $230 at various online sellers. I think Circuit City also carries this, so you may be able to find a good deal on an open box or display to stay closer to your limit.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-30-04 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-31-04, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Walter Neff
The Onkyo HTS760 system would be my recommendation.
Here's an excellent deal on this system, $279.99 for a factory-refurbished package at eCost: HT-S760 $279.99 at eCost

You just need to decide whether you want to go the HTIB route or start out smaller and end up with a higher-end system.
Old 01-31-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
Here's an excellent deal on this system, $279.99 for a factory-refurbished package at eCost: HT-S760 $279.99 at eCost
Before you decide to go with this deal, check the shipping cost. To have this sent to my zip code, the cheapest shipping (ground service) would set me back $141.95, making the total cost not that much less than buying it new (not refurbished) at a local store. Just FYI...
Old 01-31-04, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Walter Neff
Before you decide to go with this deal, check the shipping cost. To have this sent to my zip code, the cheapest shipping (ground service) would set me back $141.95, making the total cost not that much less than buying it new (not refurbished) at a local store. Just FYI...
Wow, that is ridiculous for shipping!!! Sorry for even posting that "deal"!
Old 01-31-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's funny, I got free ground shipping on the Onkyo (without the speakers) at ecost not more than 10 seconds ago.

...or $51.69 for overnight Fedex shipping.

Sounds like a deal to me.

However, you are looking at the one with speakers which adds more weight making it heavier and more expensive to ship.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 01-31-04 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-31-04, 01:39 PM

You will have to do some research but in the end you will have something with which you are very satisfied. Check out speakers from Klipsch, CSW, Athena, Polk etc. You should research all of them but I will give you a couple of examples to start.

[BTW, for the receiver, I would go with the Onkyo 501 mentioned above.]

CSW sells their speakers individually as well as in complete systems. If you look at the systems, the descriptions tell you which speakers make up the package. You can then buy the mains, then the sub, then center and finally surrounds. You can do this with a few of the different brands.

Another route you can take is with the Athenas. You could either start off with their larger bookshelf speakers if you can stretch your budget a little. If not go with the smaller ones which you can move to the rear when you buy the larger mains. Buy the sub second then the center channel.

Don't forget that you really need to go out and listen to these speakers. We all have our opinions but the one that matters most to you is your own. Trust your ears and don't rush into anything. Have fun.
Old 01-31-04, 01:59 PM

Our Fry's Electronics has the Onkyo 501 receiver on ad for $250 today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.