Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Oh my, February and March are turning out to have some great UK bands tour the States

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Oh my, February and March are turning out to have some great UK bands tour the States

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 02:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Great!... after nearly a couple of months of not seeing any live bands.

February/March are looking like two great months of UK music headed for these shores:

Super Furry Animals
South
Cooper Temple Clause
The High Llamas
British Sea Power
Clearlake - opening for The Decemberists
and the Delgados (again! woohoo!)

not to mention: (non Brit bands I plan on seeing as well)

Stellastarr*
The Sleepy Jackson
Broken Social Scene
Fountains of Wayne

guess I should start saving my pennies
Old 01-29-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember TV on the Radio and Blonde Redhead are playing DC at those times, as well. Are you planning on going to BSP at the Black Cat, Giles? Maybe we'll run into each other w/o even knowing it.

I'm looking at the following bands:
Les Savy Fav (tonight!)
Mice Parade
The Unicorns
British Sea Power
Broken Social Scene
TV on the Radio

maybe High Llamas and Blonde Redhead.
Old 01-29-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You forgot the Darkness, who's playin the 9:30 club in dc soon
Old 01-31-04, 04:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw travis last night. THey were fantastic!
Old 02-01-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts
Don't forget Stereophonics. I don't quite understand teaming them with Howie Day for the current tour, though.
Old 02-02-04, 02:55 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by printerati
Don't forget Stereophonics. I don't quite understand teaming them with Howie Day for the current tour, though.
I saw Stereophonics two or three years ago, at a small club, opening for a local band. It was weird. I know they're huge in Britain, but they're practically nonexistent over here.
Old 02-02-04, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
I saw Stereophonics two or three years ago, at a small club, opening for a local band. It was weird. I know they're huge in Britain, but they're practically nonexistent over here.
unfortunately the new Stereophonics album doesn't do much for me, I like "Madame Helga" but the rest of the album hasn't grown on me. My favourite performance from them was their Morfa Stadium gig in Wales and their Lee's Palace gig in Toronto.
Old 02-02-04, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Giles
unfortunately the new Stereophonics album doesn't do much for me, I like "Madame Helga" but the rest of the album hasn't grown on me. My favourite performance from them was their Morfa Stadium gig in Wales and their Lee's Palace gig in Toronto.
The last two haven't done much for me, and I didn't think their show was that great either. Kelly seems to want to play ballads all the time, which is especially bad if you're playing to an audience of people of whom most have never heard your music before at all. I couldn't understand why they didn't play "More Life In a Tramp's Vest", which may not be the best song he's ever written, but would just kill live... At least they closed with "Local Boy in the Photograph".

Last edited by wendersfan; 02-03-04 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts
I saw them on the Just Enough Education To Perform tour a few years ago as well. I agree that the last two albums have been lackluster, although I did enjoy the show. They headlined it, at least, and attendance was close to 1,000, thanks in no small part to the insipid "Have A Nice Day" that the local Top 40 stations picked up.

In other news, Idlewild's fourth album is due this summer, with a tour to follow. I can't wait to see these guys again. I hope last year's U.S. tour was worth their while; I had to drive to Columbus to see them, and I doubt there were 200 people there. It would have helped if it wasn't summer vacation for Ohio State, but still...
Old 02-03-04, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by printerati
I hope last year's U.S. tour was worth their while; I had to drive to Columbus to see them, and I doubt there were 200 people there. It would have helped if it wasn't summer vacation for Ohio State, but still...
I can't believe I missed that show. I wonder where the hell I was.
Old 02-11-04, 01:21 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I am going to the howie day / phonics tonight.

No interest in howie but will be the 2nd time in a few months seeing the phonics.

last time was in sf when stuart mysteriously 'was ill' they said he hurt his tailbone, those wags.

of course a week or so later they announced he had left for good.
Old 02-11-04, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I am going to the howie day / phonics tonight.

No interest in howie but will be the 2nd time in a few months seeing the phonics.

last time was in sf when stuart mysteriously 'was ill' they said he hurt his tailbone, those wags.

of course a week or so later they announced he had left for good.
First Cable's out of the phonics and now Alan White ousted out of Oasis, what's the world coming to?

(woohoo's tonight's the Super Furries!)
Old 02-11-04, 01:33 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
All we need now is David Gray to lose his insano drummer
Old 02-12-04, 08:19 AM

okay, the SFA show last night was good but not great. One problem was that the audience seemed to be the folks who were shut out of the 'sold out' Shins concert over at the Black Cat (i,e dead audience) Secondly, I am not that wild about 'Phantom Planet' and although they kept the new songs to a mininum, Gruf and the boys couldn't tie the less-aggressive songs, the ballads with the hard rock songs. Even though I have gotten tired of cliched 'The Man Don't Give a ****' end-song, it was definately a plus to see the band all decked out in Yeti costumes. As compared to their 'Rings Around the World' tour, this one paled in comparison, sure the gimmicky surround sound setup was amazing and they didn't end with 'The Man' but with a mind boggling vocal-less tubthumping techno song, this tour seemed less adventurous for the Furries. Oh well.. it was fun but flawed.