Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got my copy of Lost in Translation...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 02:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

and can't wait to see it again. Best movie of the past 5 years in my opinion. It is one of those movies that just lingers long after you view it the first time. Bill Murray WILL get the Best Actor Oscar hands down and I will bet my life on that. Why Scarlett was not nominated at all for at least Pearl Earring is beyond me. Having one great in enough, but two! regardless if she will be around she was most deserving this year. Anyway...
Old 01-29-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I concur

(word of the day calander)
Old 01-29-04, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Just got my copy of Lost in Translation...

Originally posted by scott1598
and can't wait to see it again. Best movie of the past 5 years in my opinion. It is one of those movies that just lingers long after you view it the first time. Bill Murray WILL get the Best Actor Oscar hands down and I will bet my life on that. Why Scarlett was not nominated at all for at least Pearl Earring is beyond me. Having one great in enough, but two! regardless if she will be around she was most deserving this year. Anyway...
She may very well have split her vote, being in Girl and Lost in the same year.

Fear not, someone this early in their career, giving so many great performances is likely to win eventually (or at least get nominated)

Some how though, I dont think The Perfect Score is gonna be that film that finally does it for her.
Old 01-29-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I concur

(word of the day calander)
You mean you "con-quer".

Based on what I've read, this looks like a blind buy for me.
Old 01-29-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

eek ... I sure hope "calander" was the world they used on April 1st.
Right, because your spelling is perfect.

By the way Jack, I caught the Simpsons reference.
Old 01-30-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
atleast someone did.

loved this movie.. even wearing my inside out lost in translation shirt right now.
Old 01-30-04, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I love this film..

Gawd, I remember the days of pre-orders and early street dates
Old 01-30-04, 11:30 AM
Banned

Lucky you.
Old 01-30-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

shes probably lucky as winning an AA hasn't seem to have done a whole helluva lot for Mira Sorvino and Marissa Tomei.

her 'reward' for good work in LIT and GWTPE will hopefully being offered more good roles in more good projects.
Old 01-30-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hoping for mine tomorrow, if not monday. Had it preordered forever it seems like (blind buy).
Old 01-31-04, 12:19 AM

I just saw this in this theaters tonight and I must say it was more of a trip to Tokyo for me. I didn't get to involved in the movie but the setting was just beautiful and the culture the movie was wonderful as well. I did laugh a few times at Bill Murray and the hard time he had communicating with Japanese but other than that I didnt get into the story too much.
Old 01-31-04, 11:05 AM

How are the special features?
Old 02-04-04, 06:56 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

anyone have any idea what bill murray whispered to scarlett at the end of lost in translation. they both seemed happier afterwards or is it one of those pulp fictions briefcase things.
Old 02-04-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by jay77
How are the special features?
Not much. Just a small documentary and some forced trailers

Still an excellent movie though
Old 02-04-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sabre
anyone have any idea what bill murray whispered to scarlett at the end of lost in translation. they both seemed happier afterwards or is it one of those pulp fictions briefcase things.
Went right to this scene and turned the subtitles on. "Whispers, non-distinct" or something like that. We aren't meant to know.

Anyone wanna make a guess?
Old 02-04-04, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BassDude
Went right to this scene and turned the subtitles on. "Whispers, non-distinct" or something like that. We aren't meant to know.

He says "I just saved 15% on my auto insurance"
Old 02-04-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My guess is that Sophia took the easy way out. I think she simply ran out of steam creatively and rather than wrap up the relationship with some meaningful dialog, she resorted to the *implication* of a meaningful dialog. One of the worst movie cop-outs I've seen in a long time.

I also think the movie is highly overrated.
Old 02-04-04, 09:10 PM
Banned

I dont think its a cop out at all...its not meant for us to know because its just between the two characters and not us...its called an imagination...give it a stretch sometimes...
Old 02-04-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Flave
My guess is that Sophia took the easy way out. I think she simply ran out of steam creatively and rather than wrap up the relationship with some meaningful dialog, she resorted to the *implication* of a meaningful dialog. One of the worst movie cop-outs I've seen in a long time.

A cop out?

At first, I didn't know if I had missed it because I wasn't listening carefully or if it was supposed to be "indistinct whispers." People on this forum pointed me to Ebert's review. Here's a piece that will hopefully up your appreciation.

I loved the moment near the end when Bob runs after Charlotte and says something in her ear, and we're not allowed to hear it.

We shouldn't be allowed to hear it. It's between them, and by this point in the movie, they've become real enough to deserve their privacy. Maybe he gave her his phone number. Or said he loved her. Or said she was a good person. Or thanked her. Or whispered, "Had we but world enough, and time..." and left her to look up the rest of it.
Old 02-04-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really question that line of thought Flave.

I completely agree with QGJ, and I go even further and say that the cop out would've been to hear him say anything. That ending really encapsulated feelings I've had in my life, very personal feelings, so it was exactly right for us not to hear what they say, but instead make us just feel what they were saying.

Also, QGJ, that Tarantino quote in your sig I think goes really with why a few viewers of this film may not have liked it.
Old 02-04-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Corvin
A cop out?

At first, I didn't know if I had missed it because I wasn't listening carefully or if it was supposed to be "indistinct whispers." People on this forum pointed me to Ebert's review. Here's a piece that will hopefully up your appreciation.
AND AND ALL of Ebert's suggestions would have been better than to end it the way she did.

They need their privacy? What? We've been privy to some of the most intimate moments of these fictional people's lives up to now but somehow the characters need their privacy at the end?! WTF?

I can see it now -- Coppolla's version of Casablanca's final scene:

As Rick and Louis walk into the mist, Rick leans into Louis' ear and whispers something. They look at each other meaningfully and smile. Fade to black.

Yup, great ending Sophia.

Last edited by Flave; 02-04-04 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Flave, why exactly would hearing them say any of those things make the ending better? What they say doesn't matter, you should just be focusing on the feelings not the words.
Old 02-05-04, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Flave

Sophia had a line written in the script, and then told Murray to whsiper it only to her instead. I think she made the right decision. I do not thing that any one thing that he could have said would have summed up the time that these two just had.
Old 02-05-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Tell the truth, ok?" can be made out but the first part is indecipherable.
Old 02-05-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Drop
What they say doesn't matter, you should just be focusing on the feelings not the words.
Well, that's exactly my definition of a cop-out.

This is what I think truly great movie moments are made of -- great lines. And that's especially true of an ending scene and doubly so in a relationship movie such as this. Sure, you can go for the ethereal touchy-feely moment (and I''l be the first to admit that this technique has its place in movies). Just don't do it at the end like this

I mean, why do you think we're even having this discussion? BECAUSE WE ALL WANT TO KNOW WHAT HE SAID! Case closed.

Sophia could not come up with anything meaningful and went with a 'feeling'. Fine, that's her right. Just as it is mine to call her on it.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.