Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

movie club for people in the seattle area

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-29-04, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I am posting on behalf of Movie Legends, a new dvd rental store in Seattle WA, about their weekly cinema club.Every Sunday afternoon they show a film (genres vary). There is a lecture before the film, as well as a discussion after. Also there are food drinks and other refreshments. The cost for all of this is only $5. It is run by a very nice man named Ed who is a true lover of film. Before moving to Seattle he lectured and started a similar club in the San Francisco bay area. Everyone who lives in the area should attend. This guy knows tons and tons about films of all types countries and genres and loves to discuss them. Here is the calender of upcoming films. I would encourage everyone, from those who have never heard of the films to those who have seen them over and over, as well as those who man not be partial to a certain type of film.

SUNDAY FEB 1 - 1:00 pm "OLD DARK HOUSE" (1932-USA)

Director James Whale's (Bride of Frankenstein) inimitable blend of wit, whimsy, and the macabre enjoys free reign in this delicious send-up of the haunted house thriller replete with larger than life eccentrics, ominous line readings, cavernous shadows, and pre-code sexual innuendo.

Director: James Whale

Starring: Boris Karloff, Melvin Douglas, Charles Laughton, Gloria Stuart

SUN FEB 8 - 1:00 pm "TOKYO STORY" (1953-Japan)

The Japanse master of humanist cinema, Yasijiro Ozo, suffses this powerfully moving tale with a becalmed plaintiveness, as an elderly couple visit their adult children and reconcile their familial hopes for the future with the disappointments, compromises, and ultimately, transcience of life itself.

Director: Yasijiro Ozo

Starring: Chishu Ryu, Chieko Higashiyama, So Yamamura, Haruko Sugimura

SUN FEB 15 - 1:00 pm "ATLANTIC CITY" (1981-USA)

Dreamers, losers, and hustlers populate Louis Malle's richly observed mosaic, feating a sageful script by John Guerre, of a decliningresort city's revitalization via a beautiful makeover as a gambling mecca in one last gasp at regaining its long lost allure in the get rich Reagan era 80s.

Director: Lois Malle

Starring: Burt Lancaster, Susan Sarandon, Kate Reid, Michel Piccoli, Hollis McLaren

SUN FEB 22 - 1:00 pm "THE KNACK...AND HOW TO GET IT" (1965-Great Britain)

The ultimate swinging 60's - mod London time capsule, this frenetic comedy about a timorous young man's tutelage by a seasoned womanizer serves as merely a pretext for director Richard Lester's vertigious array of verbal and visual gags, camera pyrotechnics and assorted satirical broadsides at "Merry Olde England".

Director: Richard Lester

Starring: Rita Tushingham, Ray Brooks, Michael Crawford, Donal Donnelly

SUN FEB 29 - 1:00 pm "MEET JOHN DOE" (1941-USA)

The susceptibility of a democratic system to latent fascist elements is explored in Frank Capra's flawed, but powerful social fable as a washed up ex-baseball player unwittingly masquerades as a populist spokesman for predatory ploitical interests.

Director: Frank Capra

Starring: Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward Arnold, Walter Brennan

Please call MOVIE LEGENDS for more information at (206)632-2092. You can also PM me for info. I hope to see everyone there. I would like to see this club grow into a thriving part of the seattle film community. Also tell your friends or other fellow film fans.
Old 01-29-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was just wondering, when you show movies like this, do you have to ask permission to show it?
Old 01-29-04, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Where are these guys located at?
Old 01-29-04, 11:33 AM

hey, thanks for the interest. the store is located on 2319 N 45th ST in Wallingford (Right next to the Erotic Bakery).
Old 01-30-04, 06:55 PM

anyone