Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Question about Upcoming "Planet of the Apes" 35th anniversary release.

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been putting off purchasing the current release of "Planet of the Apes" or the box set, mostly because of the non-anamorphic transfers and lack of extras.

The 35th anniversary edition of the original film is coming up next week and looks great. I was just wondering if anyone knows if Fox has any plans to give the other films in the series the special treament and, if so, if there is another box set in the works?

Anyone heard any news/rumours about this? If re-mastered editions of the sequels or a new (improved) box set is a possibility, I may hold off a little while and see what pans out. If not, I'll go ahead and get the new release coming up on 2/3.

Thanks for any info,

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 01-29-04 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-29-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i seem to recall that they said that they wanted to wait and see how the new release of POTA did before deciding what to do on the rest of them. my advice, pick up the new one and ebay it if need be later.
Old 01-29-04, 09:14 AM

That's what I needed to know - I'll go ahead and order it. I just wanted to check and see if there was a new box set upcoming before I did so.

Thanks!

Roy
Old 01-29-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kevin75
i seem to recall that they said that they wanted to wait and see how the new release of POTA did before deciding what to do on the rest of them. my advice, pick up the new one and ebay it if need be later.
You recall correctly. You can find it in the lastest chat with Fox at Home Theater Forum. So go ahead and buy so we can get the rest of the series redone!
Old 01-29-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

February 8 marks the 36th Anniversary of this classic!
Old 01-29-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I guess "36th anniversary edition" didn't sound quite so gripping so they scooted it in just under the wire...

Seriously, I'm looking forward to this one. I know there's grumbling that the 2-hour documentary and some other extras are just ported from the "Behind The Apes" disc in the box set, but since I never sprang for that and the only sequel I really like is "Beneath," I'm cool with this set putting it all in one place. I guess the "cast commentary" isn't that good according to DVDfile's review but all the other extras make up for it IMHO. Really looking forward to the text commentary in particular.