Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

songs that sound different on the radio then on the album (not efc songs)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

btw efc, is "edited for content")
third eye blind "semi charmed kind of life" the radio version cuts out a minute of the song
aerosmith "i don't want to miss a thing" supposingly when the song first hit rock stations (before pop got a hold of it) it was a harder rocking song and didn't have all of the strings that the current version has
chad kruger f/josey scott "hero" the rock version loses the strings (and pop radio stations pretended that josey scott didn't have a part)
evanesance "my imortal" it sounds like a complete new recording (anyone know where I can find an mp3 of this?
Old 01-28-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't care for the new 'My Immortal' vocals are too quiet, in my opinion.

Not quite on topic, but I know that Depeche Mode's, "In your Room" sounds a lot different on their Singles album, than it did on "Songs of Faith, love and Devotion". I hate the Singles version.
Old 01-28-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LivingINClip
Don't care for the new 'My Immortal' vocals are too quiet, in my opinion.
weren't they quiet on the cd?
and you are exactly on topic, thats what I mean.
Old 01-28-04, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
weren't they quiet on the cd?
and you are exactly on topic, thats what I mean.
I may be wrong, but to me, the one on the cd sounds less quiet the what is on the radio / in the music video. Like I said though, it may just be my ears playing tricks on me.
Old 01-28-04, 09:40 PM
Suspended

The Hollow - A Perfect Circle
Old 01-28-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I may be wrong, but to me, the one on the cd sounds less quiet the what is on the radio / in the music video. Like I said though, it may just be my ears playing tricks on me.
could be radio compression. all the volumes on radio have to be exactly the same. thats why when the opening cords of stairway to heaven start for instance, its louder on the radio then on the cd, its because of the compression issue.
Old 01-28-04, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
The Hollow - A Perfect Circle
How so?
As 'A Perfect Circle' fan, I have never heard The Hollow on the radio. So, what exactly is different about it?
Old 01-29-04, 12:01 AM
Suspended

How so?
As 'A Perfect Circle' fan, I have never heard The Hollow on the radio. So, what exactly is different about it?
Taken from http://www.aperfectcircle.net/ discography:

From what we understand, The Hollow was originally to be the second single released to radio from Mer De Noms. The decision was changed, and instead 3 Libras became the follow-up to Judith. However, the change of plans happened only after a limited run of The Hollow had slipped out to see release in Australia, featuring a live version of the track and the Judith Remix by Danny Lohner and Josh Eustis.
Following the radio release of 3 Libras, and shortly before the release of the 3 Libras CD single, The Hollow was more properly released, with a radio edit by Alan Moulder and solo versions from both Paz and Troy as b-sides for the various import versions. Unfortunately, neither The Hollow nor 3 Libras was ever properly released in the United States, aside from promo versions sent to radio stations.
I'd say the tempo is a tad bit faster & somewhat different in places on the radio edit. Also Maynard switches up the words on one of his lines. Very similar but definetly different. I actually prefer the radio edit version.
Old 01-29-04, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The radio cut of "My Immortal" is definitely different. Of course, I've only heard the version from the DD soundtrack, so that may have something to do with it. I prefer the version from the soundtrack. It's just piano and strings. I don't think the song needs the Linkin Park-like guitar solo towards the end. It's like they were trying too hard to make it sound like their big hit, "Bring Me to Life".
Old 01-29-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
A few of the radio singles off of Jewel's first album were re-recorded, I think.
Old 01-29-04, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Moby's "South Side"

On the (original) album version...no Gwen Stefani. Adding Gwen to the song did little for it. In fact, it may have hurt it.
Old 01-29-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Moby's "South Side"

On the (original) album version...no Gwen Stefani. Adding Gwen to the song did little for it. In fact, it may have hurt it.
actually, I think the version on the album is with Gwen
Old 01-29-04, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When Play was originally released, Gwen Stefani was not on the song. The album was re-released later, adding Gwen to capitalize on the success of her version of the song.
Old 01-29-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a big hit, but "Please" by U2 was completely changed for the radio, with a guitar solo added, as well as strings.

Also Santana's song "Why Don't You and I" is sung by Chad Kroeger on the album, but is sung by Alex Band (The Calling) on the single version.
Old 01-29-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I love the Gwen Stefani version of Southside. That girl can't seem to do any song wrong in my book.

Now watch her release "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" or "American Pie"

One that always sounds different to me is Loveshack by the B-52's. When they start the "Bang-bang-bang-on the door" lyrics, on the album there's initially another line of Fred singing "I can't hear you" much softer.
But the big thing with that song is the radio versions always seem slightly shorter. Almost like how PAL speedup does to movies. For the longest time I had a tape of stuff recorded off the radio with a version of Loveshack (that also had a neat horn intro that I'd like to find on CD), and when I got the actual album, I thought there was something wrong with it.
Old 01-29-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also, I believe on pop radio stations, 4 or 5 minutes of "money for nothing" is cut. They cut the "extended" ending, as well as the "little f**ott" verse as well.
Old 01-29-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
"All I need" by Method Man and Mary J. Blige.
The song won a freakin' grammy but the version that everyone's familar with sounded totally different on the album. Not only was Mary J not included, but it has this awful industrial-type beat.

And R.Kelly is known to have about 5 remixes for his biggest hits.

"Bump'n'Grind" sounded worse on the album than it did on the radio/video. Another remix was made that had the "rodeo" lyrics (I actually kinda liked that one)

And then he did it again with "Down Low". The radio version was the best which had the electric-guitar interlude. But of course, there were no guitars heard in the album version. And to top it off, he made yet another remix to the song with different lyrics and a different melody. Thankfully, I stopped being a fan of his in '96.
Old 01-29-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The POE song "Hello" was different on the radio from the one on the album, but it was available on the single.
Old 01-30-04, 05:17 PM

New Year's Day by U2 always sounds different on the radio. It's cut differently or something. Anyone know why?
Old 01-30-04, 06:23 PM
Suspended

speaking of U2, I know there are two versions of "Elevation".
Old 01-30-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
An oldie, but Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" had a different radio version than the one that appeared on their "Whitesnake" album.

The song was popularized from their self-titled album in 1986/87, but the song first appeared in a different form on one of their older albums, "Saints and Sinners," I think.
Old 01-30-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
Moby's "South Side"

Actually, I saw an interview with Moby on one of the music channels not long after the video was released. Apparently, he and Gwen recorded the song together, but it was mixed incorrectly. He said he was "horrified" when he heard the final mix, but it was too late to fix it. When they asked Gwen about it, she said she was afraid that she had done something to piss Moby off or something, but it was fixed for the single and video.
Old 01-31-04, 01:51 AM

For the reply for the my Immortal video, it was not evanesence fault for the change it was the recorded company. They tried to fight the record company, but the recorded company did not give up. So they ended up useing the demo verson of My Immortal instead of the verson that was on the CD. Thats record companys for you all about the all mighty dollar. I guess they want they two be LP with the two singles that they put out, but if you listen to their CD all the other songs sound no way like LP.
Old 01-31-04, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by csim
For the reply for the my Immortal video, it was not evanesence fault for the change it was the recorded company. They tried to fight the record company, but the recorded company did not give up. So they ended up useing the demo verson of My Immortal instead of the verson that was on the CD. Thats record companys for you all about the all mighty dollar. I guess they want they two be LP with the two singles that they put out, but if you listen to their CD all the other songs sound no way like LP.
huh?
Old 01-31-04, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Ergyu
huh?
I think he was trying to say that the record company wanted the version with the guitars and drums at the end as the album version, but the band wanted the original, so the video and radio version are actually the demo version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.