Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Liz Phair - sellout/bubble gum???

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flipping the channels, I saw this cute chick singing in a mini skirt on the new Ryan Seacreast show... She was singing a kind of generic song about a boyfriend and missing him.. When I looked closer, I noticed it was Liz Phair. Now I've never really heard much of her music, but I always thought of her as a alternative, "lillith fair", pissed off singer.. Has she changed in a bubble gum pop singer or am I just plain wrong?
Old 01-27-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
didn't she say that she wanted to "expand" her style of music to a much wider audience.
Old 01-27-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Liz Phair - sellout/bubble gum???

Originally posted by j123vt_99
Flipping the channels, I saw this cute chick singing in a mini skirt on the new Ryan Seacreast show... She was singing a kind of generic song about a boyfriend and missing him.. When I looked closer, I noticed it was Liz Phair.
I saw Liz recentlly and did not notice that she actually changed that much in the last few, ok many, years.
Old 01-27-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Liz Phair: Sellout = *yawn*

It's her career, she can do what she wants. How many "Exile in Guyville"s do you want?

Of course I'm not as bowled over by her new album, but it's still enjoyable. This coming from the only person to like "Whitechocolatespaceegg".
Old 01-27-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i agree.. she can do whatever she wants... i'm all for making money.. i was just curious if she was doing an "image change"

Originally posted by Andalusia
Liz Phair: Sellout = *yawn*

It's her career, she can do what she wants. How many "Exile in Guyville"s do you want?

Of course I'm not as bowled over by her new album, but it's still enjoyable. This coming from the only person to like "Whitechocolatespaceegg".
Old 01-27-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Liz Phair released EXILE in 1993.

After that it didn't really matter what she did in her career.

That record was her mark and will stay in many people's album collections for a long time.

I don't blame her for trying to use her sex appeal and new sound to sell some albums and get a radio hit or two.
Old 01-28-04, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Liz Phair released EXILE in 1993.

After that it didn't really matter what she did in her career.

That record was her mark and will stay in many people's album collections for a long time.

I don't blame her for trying to use her sex appeal and new sound to sell some albums and get a radio hit or two.
It's too bad that her sex appeal was at its high water mark about 10 years ago too.

She's still attractive, don't get me wrong, but I just saw her on Leno and she didn't look nearly as good as I thought she did back in the mid-90's.
Old 01-28-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy
It's too bad that her sex appeal was at its high water mark about 10 years ago too.

She's still attractive, don't get me wrong, but I just saw her on Leno and she didn't look nearly as good as I thought she did back in the mid-90's.

I'll take Liz Phair at 35, after having a kid, over almost any attractive 25-year old.

She just gets me going.
Old 01-28-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was Liz Phair ever popular? I think her new song was a hit for about a week and I doubt that many people really knew who she was before that song came out. The stations what play it are those clear channel ones marketed for the MTV high school crowd. Those people were in elementary school when she came out in 1993.
Old 01-28-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

as an Indie rock chick yeah

definitely a MILF
Old 01-28-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
I think her new song was a hit for about a week... (snip)

Actually, wrong. It just recently left the top 40. This after being released, what, last summer? That's pretty good. The video also did really well on VH-1's Top 20 Video Countdown. Not that that matters. Incidentally, Liz must've taken note on her critical backlash on this last album. She only does like 2 or 3 songs from it in concert. The rest? Pure old school Liz. Hey, I enjoy all of Liz's albums. And Andalusia? I love "whitechocolatespaceegg"!
Old 01-29-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking 4ward to the free concert of Liz on DirecTV next month.
Old 01-29-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully I'll get to see the show.
Old 01-30-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to the daily viewing of this forum I stumbled across this thread and read BTP's response wrong.

But thanks to him I found out at Phair is coming to Portland in March. In `03 I talked myself out of driving the 110 miles roundtrip to see here, but damn it for a $25 ticket and $15 in gas Im going this time.

Thanks Buford.
Old 02-04-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Free Liz Phair show on DirecTV? SWEET. Though my guess is she won't be doing any of her songs with more risque lyrics since the Freeview thing is available to everyone.
I first took notice of Liz Phair back in '94 when the Supernova single was released. I liked the song but quickly forgot about her. One of my ex girlfriends really liked her but she never got me to listen to any of Liz's stuff.
I bought Exile in Guyville back in October in part due to the reccomendations of those on this forum and hearing a few tracks from it on XM Radio. It's definately one of my top ten favorite albums of all time. I also bought Whipsmart, Whitechoclatespacegg, and her Self Titled one(and I downloaded the Come and Get it EP that is available when you put the self titled disc in a computer) and got the Insanity single from the iTunes store.
I just got Whipsmart today and haven't given a strong listen to whitechocaltespacegg, but I like what I've heard so far. There's a few songs on her new album that are decent, but they're definitely nowhere near as lyrically amazing as Exile. I've got no problem with her making some more pop oriented songs, but what annoys me is when I talk about Liz Phair with people and they have no idea she's more than just a one trick pony(thank to Why Can't I? being overplayed ) It's funny, Why Can't I? while not bad for a pop song is not only a terrible Liz Phair song, it's not even the best song on that album(I like songs like My Bionic Eyes much better than Why Can't I? though as I said they're still not up to Liz's usual caliber)
I'd definiately like to see her in concert so if anyone hears of any shows in New England or the NY/NJ area let me know.
Oh and as far as the looks comments, she was good looking then (more along the lines of cute instead of hot) now she's downright smokin'.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 02-04-04 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 10:37 AM

I used to work in an independently-owned music store and her first album came in. We had no idea what type of music she was (indy?, rock?, folk?, country?) and it happenned to be payday so I bought it and gave it a listen. I have loved her music ever since but I would say that, so far, she definitely peaked early in her career. Exile and Whip Smart are very different from each other and both are amazing.

Her new album was alright but I liked the EP much better and quickly made an Ipod playlist that took out the Matrix-pop songs from the album which makes it much more palatable.
Old 02-06-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

oh and buford and anyone thats interested, she is touring this winter.
portland march 2
houstan march 18
phili april 2
those are the dates that are listed in entertainment weekly
Old 02-08-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just saw the ad but she won't be coming through my area and I'm not going to drive 2-4 hours for the show.
Old 02-08-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Looking 4ward to the free concert of Liz on DirecTV next month.
I'm not familiar with her music so I tuned in to this broadcast last night.

I admired her legs in the stiletto heels for about a song and a half and then became very bored with the songs.
Old 02-08-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She is a MILF.
Old 02-08-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I caught the DirecTV concert. Suprise suprise, they silenced out any expletives, which needless to say means, they didn't show her playing Flower
It was pretty good though I felt like even she didn't want to play "Why Can't I?" given the little explanation before playing it (I could have gone without hearing it frankly) but overall the show was pretty good. A good amount of stuff from Whitechoclatespacegg and Exile, hardly anything from Whipsmart and luckily only two songs from her self titled (though they happened to be FM friendly songs that are being overplayed.) she could have easily picked two other songs that aren't as popular and are IMHO better from that album. Anway, she looked great though and sounded very good live so I think I'm going to look into going to see her in either Boston or New York.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 02-08-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-08-04, 05:03 PM

Yes she sold out

You know it's bad when Michelle Branch is calling her out for doing that crappy pop song "Why Can't I"
Old 02-08-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, Michelle Branch is ripping on Liz? That's rich. Maybe she should hold off till she can come up with an album half as good as "Exile". Ah, doesn't matter, she won't even be around in five years...
Old 02-09-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is such an old discussion but Liz is still cool by me. The new album is her least consistent in terms of quality for my ears (Whitechocolate... was fantastic, I thought, as were the earlier two) but it has some strong stuff. Frankly, the radio songs aren't the ones that bother me. HWC and Favorite really bug me. Just too obvious and boring. The two standouts, for me, are Rock Me (which I LOVE) and Little Digger (which actually made me get all choked up the first time I heard it!)

Liz wants to provide for her kid and decided to try to grab some ducats. Who cares? It's not like she's doing tv commercials (oh wait... never mind...)
Old 02-09-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you all don't think that changing one's art with the sole intent of making more money (by Liz's own admission) isn't the very definition of "selling out", I wonder how you DO define it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.