Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Non-Ozzy Black Sabbath alumni solo albums.... [inc. Iommi's latest]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-02, 12:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New "Sabbath" Album....

.... as seen on Usenet last month:
I found out there's a brand new Sabbath studio album coming out!

It's almost the classic line-up too: Bobby Rondinelli on drums; Neil Murray on bass; Tony Martin on vocals - and Iommi has been replaced by Teddy Rondinelli.

Finally, a REAL reunion album from Sabbath. It would be really cool if Geoff Nichols was on it, then it would be perfect.

Unfortunately, they're releasing it as a "Rondinelli" CD! Must be the record company forcing them to do that, just like making Iommi release Seventh Star as a Sabbath album.

It doesn't matter though, all the real Sabbath fans will know this is a Sabbath album through and through.

Whew! A real Xmas present from the Sabbath crew!
The Oldschool Rock'n'Roll Newgroup
Old 01-27-04, 08:29 AM
Mod Emeritus

They've all done it! Released solo albums, that is. And some of them have made pretty good listening!

I've just read that Tony Iommi plans to clean up and release some material recorded way back when with Glenn Hughes and which, for a few years, has been circulating as a bootleg under the title "8th Star". At this point I'm not sure to what extent the clean-up might involve re-recording the drumming. We'll see.

From the Black Sabbath website:
Tony Iommi intends on releasing what's commonly known as the "Eighth Star bootleg". This material was recorded back in 1996 for what was then to be a Tony Iommi's first official solo album. It was later abandoned for what eventually did become Tony's first official solo album, "Iommi".

The album featured former Deep Purple & Black Sabbath singer Glenn Hughes on vocals and bass, former Sabbath & Ozzy and current Deep Purple keyboardist Don Airey, and former Judas Priest drummer Dave Holland on drums. I've heard the album, and I have to say it shows that Iommi can play more than just Black Sabbath riffs. There's some great bluesy stuff here, some awesome vocals from Glenn Hughes, and some good heavy stuff, too. Here's some facts about the release of the album.
  • Tony will be going in and mixing the album with the intent of releasing it later this year
  • No details yet as to a precise release date, other than "later this year".
  • No details as to the final track listing or track order
  • No details yet as to what form the release will take (Internet download, a CD, etc)
  • The sound of the existing bootleg will be crap compared to the final, finished album.
  • No details as to what the actual name of the album will be upon release (8th Star is a bootleg name).
Furthermore, of interest to those following the career of Sabbath's longest serving non-member:
Sanctuary Records will re-issue the debut album from Birmingham heavy metal band QUARTZ in early 2004. Originally issued on Jet Records in 1977, the album was produced by BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi and features guest appearances by Ozzy Osbourne and QUEEN guitarist Brian May.

Considered one of the leading NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) bands, QUARTZ guitarist Mike Hopkins had previously played with John Bonham's WAY OF LIFE while second guitarist Geoff Nicholls would join BLACK SABBATH in 1979. Drummer Malcolm Cope was involved with pre-production for BLACK SABBATH's "Born Again".

Over their career QUARTZ toured heavily — playing the Reading Festival three times ('76, ''77 and '80) — and touring as support to the likes of UFO, IRON MAIDEN, SAXON, GILLAN and RUSH. The band released four albums.

The following is an edited extract from Garry Sharpe-Young's acclaimed BLACK SABBATH biography "Never Say Die":

QUARTZ was on the rise and having Tony Iommi acting as producer on their album lent extra kudos. "Working with Tony as a producer on our debut record was great, very different to some of the big name producers we had used in the past," reckons Malcolm Cope. "Tony put guitar on two tracks on the record and even played his flute on 'Sugar Rain'. He's a great flute player. Not many people know that."

Contracts kept any notion of actual performance credits out of the public arena as acknowledged by Geoff Nicholls. "Tony had produced the record and he was obviously going to play on it too. It's just that we couldn't say that at the time for legal reasons. He did quite a bit on the record actually, a couple of solos. Ozzy sang on 'Sugar Rain' too. Again, we weren't allowed to credit him."

It would not only be the SABBATH duo that featured on the record. Tony's friend Brian May of QUEEN fame was invited down to the recording studio. The man would get to add a splash of that famous hand made guitar onto the track "Circles", once more featuring a certain Mr. Ozzy Osbourne on backing vocals. "Ozzy tried to put some harmonica on too," laughs Malcolm.

"Circles" inexplicably never made the album, only appearing as the B side to the subsequent "Stoking The Fires Of Hell" single.

The Sanctuary re-release features many bonus tracks, including "Circles", and liner notes from Garry Sharpe-Young. A detailed QUARTZ biography and discography can be found at Rockdetector.

Last edited by benedict; 01-27-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-27-04, 03:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That Quartz album sounds interesting. Any info on why the 8th Star wasn't released back in 1996?
Old 01-27-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been looking for the Tony Martin solo album forever... no luck, it's super hard to find.
Old 01-28-04, 02:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Tony Martin is rotating all the tracks - three at a time - from his solo album as mp3 downloads from his web site: http://www.tonymartin.net/

Not the same as having the CD proper but that won't happen unless/until he wrests the rights from a former manager and re-releases it.
Old 02-22-05, 02:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Joe Siegler of BLACK SABBATH fan site Black-Sabbath.com has posted the following update on the new solo album from SABBATH bassist Geezer Butler, entitled "Ohmwork":
"'Ohmwork' has a current release projection of April 2005 (the exact date is not set yet). The album will be released by Sanctuary. There's no cover art available yet, but Geezer's people tell me that it should be completed shortly, and when I have it available, I'll put it online here. The track listing for 'Ohmwork' is:

01. Misfit
02. Pardon My Depression
03. Prisoner 103
04. I Believe
05. Aural Sects
06. Pseudocide Pull
07. The String Alone
08. Dogs of Whore
09. Don't You Know

"A bit about the band behind 'Ohmwork':

"Of course, it's got Geezer Butler on bass. Geezer also produced the
album. If you're reading this news on my BLACK SABBATH site, and you don't know who Geezer Butler is, what's wrong with you?

"On vocals we have Clark Brown. Clark also handled vocals on Geezer's last solo release, that being 1997's 'Black Science'.

"On guitar, we have Pedro Howse, who has been on both of Geezer's previous solo releases in 1995 and 1997. He was also involved with Geezer back in 1985 when Geezer first tried to put together a solo project under the moniker of 'THE GEEZER BUTLER BAND.'

"Manning the drumkit and forming the rhythm section with Geezer is
newcomer Chad Smith, a drummer from the St. Louis area described as 'incredible.'

"Also involved on the production side as the album's mixer is Toby
Wright. Toby has been involved with a lot of high profile bands such as SLAYER, ALICE IN CHAINS, PRIMUS, JERRY CANTRELL, and SEVENDUST.

"The band will be marketed as 'GZR'. This is kind of amusing as on the 'Plastic Planet' album the band was marketed as 'G//Z/R', and on 'Black Science' as 'GEEZER'. So it'll have to be some other combination on his next album.

"I hope to have album cover art shortly (within a week or so), when I get that, I'll repost with the cover art (or any other 'Ohmwork' information I get)."

Last edited by benedict; 02-22-05 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 06:12 AM
Mod Emeritus

Click for Iommi.com

Old news now but this was the place to put it:

TRACKS AND MUSICIANS

1. Dopamine
2. Wasted Again
3. Saviour of the Real
4. Resolution Song
5. Grace
6. Deep Inside a Shell
7. What You're Living For
8. Face Your Fear
9. The Spell
10. I Go Insane
and:
Let it Down Easy (Bonus track Japan)
The Innocence (iTunes only)
Slip Away (Rollingstone.com, real.com)

Musicians:

Tony Iommi - Guitars
Glenn Hughes Vocals, Bass Guitar
Kenny Aronoff - Drums
Bob Marlette - Keyboards

Production:
Produced by Bob Marlette

Engineer:
Mike Exeter

Tony Iommi, the legendary Black Sabbath guitarist, will release his new album, "Fused", on July 12th, 2005, via Sanctuary Records. This will be Iommi's third solo album. Joining Iommi on "Fused" is former Deep Purple vocalist/bass guitarist GLENN HUGHES and former John Mellencamp drummer Kenny Aronoff, who has also played sessions with the likes of the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, Lynyrd Skynyrd and countless others. The trio will hit the road to promote "Fused" later this year after Black Sabbath finishes headlining the 10th anniversary Ozzfest tour.

Iommi has worked with both Hughes and Aronoff in the past. Hughes is a longtime friend who sang on the 1986 Black Sabbath Featuring Tony Iommi album, Seventh Star. In 2004, previously unreleased songs they had collaborated on eight years earlier were completed and released by Sanctuary as The 1996 DEP Sessions. Aronoff played drums on the song "Black Oblivion" on Iommi's self-titled 2000 solo album, which was loaded with all-star guest appearances. "Fused" was produced by Bob Marlette, who also manned the studio boards for Iommi.

"I put some ideas for four or five tracks down about three years ago, but I hadn't written them specifically with Glenn in mind," Iommi says. "After The 1996 DEP Sessions was finished last year, I said to my manager that I should try Glenn on my solo album. Glenn came over to England and we did a trial run writing more material and it was unbelievable. His enthusiasm is amazing. He is so full of energy and great song ideas."

Pitriff
Blabbermouth
MetalUK