Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's up with Orbital - any new material in the coming year?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 10:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Orbital seems to have been in hiding for the last couple of years now. Has any fan heard if any new songs have been recorded or when we can expect a new album? The last thing I had read about them was that they had done some songs for a motion picture soundtrack. Anyone?
Old 01-26-04, 11:28 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From their website: http://www.loopz.co.uk/begin.html

2004 - New Orbital Album
The next Orbital album has been finished and is slated to be released in 2004. At time of writing we cant say too much about the album but we will be running quite a few updates whenever we can. Keep checking the NEWS page!
Old 01-26-04, 11:34 PM

oh wow! great! Now if only their record label would press the upcoming album either in mutlichannel DVD-Audio or as a SACD Hybrid disc (preferably the latter - I'd be in heaven).
Old 01-27-04, 02:17 PM
Suspended

I just wish they would release that multi channel DVD of theirs in the US. Why they have not is beyond me.
Old 01-28-04, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by MJKTool
I just wish they would release that multi channel DVD of theirs in the US. Why they have not is beyond me.
It was downright cruel to their fans that Warner Home Video did nothing to release this. There was even a US magazine interview/article that talked in great detail about the 6-channel soundmix for the DVD. Thank god I went multi-region.
Old 01-28-04, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Giles
It was downright cruel to their fans that Warner Home Video did nothing to release this. There was even a US magazine interview/article that talked in great detail about the 6-channel soundmix for the DVD. Thank god I went multi-region.
This mix was only for their last album correct? The Altogether?

I didnt really care for that album, (only a few good tracks) so its not THAT big of a deal to me, but it sure would be nice to hear it eventually.
Old 01-28-04, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
This mix was only for their last album correct? The Altogether?

I didnt really care for that album, (only a few good tracks) so its not THAT big of a deal to me, but it sure would be nice to hear it eventually.
yes only for 'The Altogether'

I agree the album on the whole is a tad disjointed and not their best. But the DTS soundmix and the video for the song "Oi!" is really fun - two giant robots clashing around Paris, France.
Old 01-29-04, 09:52 AM

Also not released in the U.S. -

The soundtrack to the film "Octane", recorded by Orbital last year and released in the UK last fall. It's not quite like their albums, nor is it exactly like their score to "Event Horizon", but definitely worth a listen in my opinion. Very dark, minimal, and occasionally frightening.
Have a listen to samples at loopz.co.uk.

So the brothers have been busy, but the fruits of their labor just aren't being released stateside.

Also, my two cents on the Altogether DVD - the videos may not be the best, but it's worth it solely for the full length (22 minute) version of meltdown.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-29-04, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by mbrunet

Also, my two cents on the Altogether DVD - the videos may not be the best, but it's worth it solely for the full length (22 minute) version of meltdown.

Cheers,

Mike
ahem, where exactly is this on the DVD... ?