Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else floored by Cash's version of Hurt?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I've heard it a few times, and I finally got around to picking up the CD. It came with a DVD for the video, and man, it's powerful stuff. I work with this total goth chick and I had her listen to it. She said that she thought it was better than the original. I have a hard time disagreeing.

I don't know what else to say but this man was a real talent. To take a song like Hurt and make it what he did is unbelieveable.

Anyone else with me on this?
Old 01-26-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly. The song and the video are incredibly moving when put in the context of Cash's life. I've been moved to tears several times by both.
Old 01-26-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no question it's better than the original.
Old 01-26-04, 09:38 PM
Suspended

To be honest... when I first saw the video, it did move me, which is something that NEVER happens to me with music videos anymore. Great song and video.
Old 01-26-04, 09:54 PM

He took a 'woe is me'-pity party crap song and made it into one of the most beautiful songs of his career. The video was just amazing and heartwrenching even before his death. That just makes it so much more powerful.
Old 01-26-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
'woe is me'-pity party crap song.

Wow, could you be any more out of place?
Old 01-26-04, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went to the Austin City Limits Festival this year. Rosanne Cash cancelled her set...it was right after her Dad died, so they replaced it with a Johnny Cash tribute. The Old 97's, Drive By Truckers and Tift Merritt did an hour long tribute to the Man in Black. They closed it with an airing of his first Austin City Limits performance and a showing of "Hurt." The whole tribute was full of emotion. "Hurt" pushed it over the edge. Watching that video with 40-50,000 other people on an enormous screen and a wonderful sound system. I fought back tears from the moment the song began.
Old 01-27-04, 12:06 AM

i'll take the original anyday.
Old 01-27-04, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by Ergyu
Wow, could you be any more out of place?
I used to be a big NIN fan back in the day, but you have to admit when Trent does the song it seems tired and cliche, especially within the context of all his other songs. Cash made it into something that Trent's version never could be IMO. That album was the last tour I had seen NIN on (well actually I saw them when they toured with Prick and Bowie a few years later, but that doesnt count since I went to see Prick and Bowie), by then I was bored with the melodrama. It is just an honest observation.

Last edited by fnordboy; 01-27-04 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-27-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well when he wrote it it couldn't have been tired and cliched. He never really wrote any other songs like that, up until that point anyway. The original is quite an emotional piece as well, though cash's version may have suited his situation better.

Now a days, well 4 years ago rather, performing it live every night WOULD get tired and cliched, and take away a lot of the meaning. I hope he doesn't end every set with it this upcoming tour now. As much as I enjoyed seeing it, it's not very fitting of his life right now I would say, as it was 10 years ago when he wrote it.

Personally I enjoy the original more, but that's just me. Cash's is amazing though, I'm not going to take that away from him.

How could you say ANY NIN song (other than a few certain tracks from PHM and Closer) could be a party song though? I'd feel pretty out of place at a party if I started hearing most anything other than Head like a hole or Down in it.
Old 01-27-04, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Ergyu
How could you say ANY NIN song (other than a few certain tracks from PHM and Closer) could be a party song though? I'd feel pretty out of place at a party if I started hearing most anything other than Head like a hole or Down in it.
Oh, I think you read that wrong (or i wrote it wrong). I said "pity-party", lol not a "party" song.

As far as NIN goes, not to get too off-topic here, I just got sick of him by that point. I never really cared for that album so much and as far as industrial goes I have always considered him fluff, but that is my personal taste as far as that goes.
Old 01-27-04, 07:23 AM

It sucked. I was floored by how bad he buterched that and other great songs. Just because he is Cash, doesn't mean he can make something good.
Old 01-27-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LivingINClip
It sucked. I was floored by how bad he buterched that and other great songs. Just because he is Cash, doesn't mean he can make something good.
Spoken like someone who is completely happy with MTV and Top 40 radio.
Old 01-27-04, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Spoken like someone who is completely happy with MTV and Top 40 radio.
Actually, I don't watch MTV or listen to the top 40. Thanks for assuming that though.

I love how if it's Johnny Cash, then it's good, but , in my opinion, his version of it was crap. Along with the rest of that album. Powerful? Hardly. It was forced and boring. It's a shame such a legend went out on a piss-poor note. However, see'ing as I don't like that version, I must be a fan of MTV.
Old 01-27-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering that Rez was blown away by Cash's version... I highly doubt Cash butchered it or 'sucked'.

"We were in the studio, getting ready to work -- and I popped it in," Reznor says. "By the end I was really on the verge of tears. I'm working with Zach de la Rocha, and I told him to take a look. At the end of it, there was just dead silence. There was, like, this moist clearing of our throats and then, 'Uh, OK, let's get some coffee.''

Sounds to me like Cash did a respectable job of covering a song.
Old 01-27-04, 08:57 AM

I could care less what Trent Reznor thought of the cover. I didn't like it. I thought he butchered it.
Old 01-27-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, I don't watch MTV or listen to the top 40. Thanks for assuming that though.

I love how if it's Johnny Cash, then it's good, but , in my opinion, his version of it was crap. Along with the rest of that album. Powerful? Hardly. It was forced and boring. It's a shame such a legend went out on a piss-poor note. However, see'ing as I don't like that version, I must be a fan of MTV.

It has nothing to do with Cash. We disagree, and that's fine. But Trent himself disagrees with you too, and I'm curious to know why that has no relevance to you. Does this song have a deep personal meaning to you that makes you feel this way? I knew someone who Heaven by Bryan Adams meant alot to, and (even though it's terrible) she went ballistic over that dance remake.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 01-27-04 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-27-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could care less what Trent Reznor thought of the cover. I didn't like it. I thought he butchered it.

Melodramatic to the nth degree. I'm surprised you haven't written about how the first time you listened your ears began to bleed from the pain they were forced to endure and then you wretched up your stomach in disgust.
Old 01-27-04, 10:33 AM

Cash covered NIN's 'Hurt'? Cool. We should have discussed this months ago. They should make a video!
Old 01-27-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The song and the video are incredibly moving when put in the context of Cash's life. I've been moved to tears several times by both."

Couldn't have said it better Penny!! The Man In Black will always be with me through his wonderful music.
Old 01-27-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I could care less what Trent Reznor thought of the cover. I didn't like it. I thought he butchered it."

Now that, simply put, is the most ignorant satement I have ever heard in my entire life. NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

consider me floored!
Old 01-27-04, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by C_Fletch
"I could care less what Trent Reznor thought of the cover. I didn't like it. I thought he butchered it."

Now that, simply put, is the most ignorant satement I have ever heard in my entire life. NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well........c'mon now. The most ignorant satement ever. Isn't he just stating his own opinion. Why should Trent Reznor's opinion have any bearing on his own. Simply because he wrote it? If he thinks Cash butchered the song he has every right to think that. Is he in the minority? Yes.

Btw, I think the song is very well done. Maybe Trent and I can be friends!
Old 01-27-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No problem if you did not like it but to say the cover sucked (even thought the original writer and many, many others say otherwise) and Cash sucks ... is utter nonsense
Old 01-27-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
Oh, I think you read that wrong (or i wrote it wrong). I said "pity-party", lol not a "party" song.
I did haha, thanks. Sounds like you were around way back in the day though. I didn't get into NIN until right before The Downward Spiral came out. I don't listen to industrial though, and don't really consider nine inch nails industrial, so I have a different approach.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.