Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Caribbean Questions [Spoilers; Ye be warned]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this movie about 10 times, and I would say its in the top 3 of last year easily. However i always find myself puzzled by a few things:

1) Was the apple ever poisoned?

2) Why do they need Bootstrap Bill's blood? Yes, i know to lift the curse, but why HIS blood?

3) At what moment does Jack Sparrow receive the curse? This has always been kind of foggy to me.
Old 01-26-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
1) No, as far as i know the apple just represents the cursed pirates loss of humanity and part of being able to taste again.

2) As far as the curse goes, they need the blood of everyone who took a piece of the gold. Bootstrap was on the crew of the Black Pearl and took a piece.

3) When Jack is telling Barbosa about the british navy waiting outside, he runs his hands through the chest and picks up a handful of coins. He proceeds to drop them back in one by one, but holds on to one.
Old 01-26-04, 02:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
1) I don't think so, no.

2) They needed the blood from all of the crew members (not to mention all of the coins) in order to lift the curse. Bill was the only one missing.

3) Watch carefully and you'll see him lift a coin and play with it in his fingers. From that moment on, he's cursed (but the reveal doesn't come until a bit later).
Old 01-26-04, 02:35 PM

Okay, thats along the lines of what i thought.

Delving deeper into #2. They killed bootstrap bill, right? If he took the Gold, and he was cursed, how did they kill him?
Old 01-26-04, 02:38 PM

They didn't kill him. They weighted him down and dumped him in the sea. His fate is pretty horrible if you think about it.
Old 01-26-04, 02:40 PM

So he sat at the bottom of the ocean drowning yet unable to die until the curse was lifted? So when his son played a part in lifting the curse, he actually played a roll in killing his father? Or perhaps maybe he made it out of the ocean and can show up in the sequel?

I don't know why i'm over thinking this.
Old 01-26-04, 02:42 PM

Yes, when the curse was lifted Bootstrap Bill would drown. Probably a good thing from his point of view, eh?

I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up in the sequel.
Old 01-26-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See that always bothered me . . . surely, after years of sitting at the bottom of the ocean, surely he would have figured some way to get out. If all of those other guys were losing limbs, etc. and coming back to normal, he could have popped his leg off and pulled it out of a shackle and then reconnected it and walked the ocean floor until he hit dry land.

Or something like that . . .
Old 01-26-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I never thought about Bootstrap being alive, but it very well could be true.
Old 01-26-04, 03:06 PM

I was almost positive about #3, About when jack gets the curse. But Part of me wondered if maybe he got in 10 years ago. The moonlight in the prison cell disproved that. I guess i was just looking for it to be a bit more complicated than lifting a coin out of a chest and being cursed for 5 minutes.

I think a nice opening for the sequel would be 10-15 minutes Setting up the BootStrap Bill storyline. Taking the coin out of the chest, sending it to william, getting thrown overboard, his escape from "Davy Jones' Locker" ... I actually kind of like the idea of him being a character in the next movie, but it will probably be ignored. They've woven him into the story pretty well already. The reason why he sent the coin off in the first place, and got thrown overboard, was because he objected to the mutiny against Jack and thought they deserved to be cursed.
Old 01-26-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Bootstrap Bill being "dead" has bugged me since I first saw this in the sneak peak. He would have to be undead untlil they remove the curse, and it is shown that he should had possessed the power to escape, so where was he? In town or still in Davey Jones's locker?
Old 01-26-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
So he sat at the bottom of the ocean drowning yet unable to die until the curse was lifted? So when his son played a part in lifting the curse, he actually played a roll in killing his father? Or perhaps maybe he made it out of the ocean and can show up in the sequel?

I don't know why i'm over thinking this.
You're not alone.
I just watched this last weekend and was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-26-04, 06:01 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
From an earlier thread...

Originally posted by Goldberg74
One more observation (that I haven't read here so far)... if Bootstrap Bill Turner was an undead like the rest, when Barbosa tied the cannon to him and dropped him, wouldn't he have just been there at the bottom of the sea... alive and well (sort of)?

The it seems to me that Bootstrap had about 8-10 years to get free and swim to an island and lead a semi-normal life. Right? Would he have sensed the last piece of gold and tried to follow it to the location of his son?

Makes me wonder what the sequel is going to be about... will the Captain of The Black Pearl meet up with his only supporter?

We'll see...
Old 01-26-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
What about the monkey? It was cursed, so then it take a gold piece too?
Old 01-26-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You would figure if they dumped in him deep enough water the pressure alone would have crushed bootstraps bones so he would be um... dead?
Old 01-26-04, 10:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
See that always bothered me . . . surely, after years of sitting at the bottom of the ocean, surely he would have figured some way to get out. If all of those other guys were losing limbs, etc. and coming back to normal, he could have popped his leg off and pulled it out of a shackle and then reconnected it and walked the ocean floor until he hit dry land.

Or something like that . . .
Ok, but didn't they need moonlight to turn into skeletons? Not much moonlight at the bottom of the ocean.
Old 01-26-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally posted by caligulathegod
Ok, but didn't they need moonlight to turn into skeletons? Not much moonlight at the bottom of the ocean.

Moonlight only revealed their true forms to mortals. It had nothing to do with their being dead or alive.
Old 01-27-04, 06:09 PM

Remember the scene where they put the bomb in the skeleton's chest then shoved him out of the moonlight so he couldn't get it out (or some such thing)? They seemed to physically become skeletons in the moonlight and flesh in the absence of moonlight.
Old 01-28-04, 12:03 PM

Remember the scene where they put the bomb in the skeleton's chest then shoved him out of the moonlight so he couldn't get it out (or some such thing)? They seemed to physically become skeletons in the moonlight and flesh in the absence of moonlight.
Yep, and after hearing about Aron Ralston amputating his own arm, I figure Bootstrap should be able to beak his leg and somehow get out of his shackels (grab a passing swordfish and saw through his flesh and bones perhaps ).

We were clearly told that they couldn't die, and yet he was dropped at the bottom of the ocean. I can't believe someone involved with the movie didn't notice this. I believe they must be addressing this in the sequel.
Old 01-28-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, I never delved this deep into the movie. Interesting stuff though.
Old 01-28-04, 12:11 PM
Retired

Originally posted by dom56
What about the monkey? It was cursed, so then it take a gold piece too?
Probably, if you watch after the credits there's a scene where the monkey is still alive, takes a piece of gold from chest and is cursed again.
Old 01-28-04, 02:58 PM

I rewatched the movie last night. A couple of things i noticed:

-I never really picked up that the curses were "individual" until i watched the deleted scenes. This also applies to the monkey i suppose.

-Limbs can be dismembered, then reattatched, all while still being "alive" ... so it would be really simple for bootstrap to get free. And also they can clearly walk on the bottom of the ocean floor with a problem, so Bootstrap could have just walked until he hit an island.

BOOTSTRAP LIVES!

Old 01-28-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's very possible that Bootstrap was/is alive and living a somewhat normal life. As long as he didn't show himself in the moonlight, he could pretty much blend in with the rest of the population
Old 01-28-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Ok fine. But moonlight had nothing to do with the curse other than revealing their dead forms.
Old 01-28-04, 05:52 PM

Right, but someone was saying he could just pop his leg off then reattach it later. He'd need to be a skeleton to do that and he couldn't become a skeleton unless exposed to moonlight. Just addressing a possible issue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.