Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

do you feel pressured to watch a movie coz everybody has seen it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just an honest question
Old 01-26-04, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
no
Old 01-26-04, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
no

I watch the movies I watch because I honestly would like to see them and not because it's a trend to watch a "cool" movie the rest of the public thinks is cool.
Old 01-26-04, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite the opposite, at least from one specific recollection.

Quick story: I was in Tokyo when Jurassic Park came out, and you would think the entire city was paid to advertise for it.

There were banners on every building, in every window, and movie marketing stuff everywhere.

It was so overexposed that I simply had NO desire to see it.

To this day, I have never seen Jurassic Park (although I do own the Box set on DVD, that I do finally plan on getting around to watching some day).

--LVM
Old 01-26-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is coz a word?

to answer the thread-- NO.
Old 01-26-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely not. Like one of the above posters said, if a movie is hyped and everybody is talking about it then it makes me not want to see it. It's been my experience that if there's a movie that everyone thinks is great, then I will probably not like it.
Old 01-26-04, 08:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Letting the "masses" dictate what you won't see is just as silly as letting them dictate what you will see.
Old 01-26-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nope.

Still havent seen the entire movie of "Titanic" or any of the "Lord of the Rings" movies.
Old 01-26-04, 08:57 AM
Banned

Re: do you feel pressured to watch a movie coz everybody has seen it?

Originally posted by joeydaninja
just an honest question
I don't feel pressured... but I end up watching just out of curiousity and not to be left out of the debate...assuming I care about the debate...

Last edited by jayson1017; 01-26-04 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-26-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I still refuse to see Titanic as well.

I will watch something that people at places I semi-respect their opinion, such as here or Ebert's best list, rave about, usually a movie that I have not heard of, or did not know much about.
Old 01-26-04, 10:19 AM
Banned

I have never been pressured into watching a movie. I do take recomendations from 2 of my close friends because we share the same tastes in movies. But like an earlier post said when I see a movie being shoved down my throat it makes me not want to see it.
Old 01-26-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope....not even close.

Still haven't seen Titanic, The English Patient, and any number of other "blockbusters." And i'm strangely proud of the fact
Old 01-26-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope, and any pressure I get usually invokes the opposite effect.

I just caught Spiderman on HBO not long ago.
Still have yet to see Titanic, and proud.
Old 01-26-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes. I find it hard to believe that many of you haven't watched a few "classic" movies simply because of their status, like the Godfather movies or Casablanca or Citizen Kane. I think its pretty much the same thing
Old 01-26-04, 11:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
I find it hard to believe that many of you haven't watched a few "classic" movies simply because of their status, like the Godfather movies or Casablanca or Citizen Kane.
Or because of their spine numbers.

I'm constantly amused by people who are "proud" because they haven't seen one movie or another. Talk about a non-accomplishment!
Old 01-26-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
No.
Old 01-26-04, 01:12 PM

No
Old 01-26-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

I probably would've been among those who refuse to watch Titanic, if it wasn't for the fact that I saw it a couple of days after it came out -------------and this was before the hype on Titanic blew up...... It was a great movie before the hype... After the hype, I could see how some people might be disappointed.
Old 01-26-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Umm, maybe I'm alone, but I'll go see a movie because the hype around it is good. Everybody says it's a good movie? Sure, I'll probably go see it. Why? Because, I LOVE movies, and if everyone is watching it it is very possible there is a reason for that.

Do I feel pressured? Well, that's just the wrong word. I could care less if I've seen the movie everyone else has seen. Some films don't appeal to me, so I never bother seeing them. I might finally watch Seabiscuit cause so many people have said good things about it. But that's not pressure...I just like watching good movies.
Old 01-26-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a funny reaction to hype (or maybe not . . . you tell me). A lot of good publicity may convince me to see a movie that I might not have, but definitely not all of the time. Where it gets wierd is that the more hype I hear about it, the lower my expectations get. This usually ends up benefiting me in the end because the movies tend to beat my low expectations.

And it works with both good and bad hype. Hulk was a good example, I enjoyed it much more than I ever expected to, so it was really a pleasent surprise. It even happened with Return Of The King . . . I thought it was going to be good, but I didn't think that it would not match the rave reviews that it was getting. When I watched it, it blew me away.

Anyone else react this way?
Old 01-26-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
I have a funny reaction to hype (or maybe not . . . you tell me). A lot of good publicity may convince me to see a movie that I might not have, but definitely not all of the time. Where it gets wierd is that the more hype I hear about it, the lower my expectations get. This usually ends up benefiting me in the end because the movies tend to beat my low expectations.

And it works with both good and bad hype. Hulk was a good example, I enjoyed it much more than I ever expected to, so it was really a pleasent surprise. It even happened with Return Of The King . . . I thought it was going to be good, but I didn't think that it would not match the rave reviews that it was getting. When I watched it, it blew me away.

Anyone else react this way?
I agree with you 100%
Majority of the very hyped movies i watch i am disappointed by, even if they are hyped up by regulars viewers/friends. This was the case with Pirates of the Caribbean, i bought it on DVD because everyone raved about the movie.. when i watched i was not very impressed. On the other hand i only watched Fight Club, about 6 month to a year after it was released on DVD because of the relatively avg reviews i got on it, but once i saw it, it became one of my favorites instantly. The one thing it taught me is that my taste in movies seems to differ form that of most of my friends.. so i watch any movie that sounds interesting to me no matter how good/ bad the reviews are.
Old 01-26-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Umm, maybe I'm alone, but I'll go see a movie because the hype around it is good. Everybody says it's a good movie? Sure, I'll probably go see it. Why? Because, I LOVE movies, and if everyone is watching it it is very possible there is a reason for that.
No there isn't, there are too many sheep in the world. This explains everything from My Big Fat Greek Wedding to reality tv, to the popularity of U2. Just because a bunch of sheep like a movie, does not make it a good one.
Old 01-26-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No
Old 01-26-04, 03:36 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No - because most people watch movies for different reasons than me.

I do however seek out the 'classics' because I figure they've stood the test of time and its not marketing but rather good word of mouth.
Old 01-26-04, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
Or because of their spine numbers.

I'm constantly amused by people who are "proud" because they haven't seen one movie or another. Talk about a non-accomplishment!
I agree. As movie fans I would think people would at least make an attempt to see a whole lot of movies. Not purchase just watch. Being proud because you've never seen Titanic is just plain stupid, being proud because you don't own Titanic is another.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.