Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Saw" starring Cary Elwes & Danny Glover

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.efilmcritic.com/review.ph...0&reviewer=128

SCREENED AT THE 2004 SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL: If I told you this one was "Seven" meets "Cube" by way of a Nine Inch Nails video (with a sprinkling of "The Silence of the Lambs" thrown in for flavor), you'd probably dismiss the movie as something less than unique or original, let alone brain-crackingly cool. In which case you might overlook "Saw", which is easily one of the most deliciously gruesome and addictively entertaining horror movies I've seen in years. Yes, I said years.

Two complete strangers awaken in a disgusting bathroom in the middle of god-knows-where. They're both chained by the ankles and escape seems quite impossible; but a handful of disturbing clues are left behind (not the least of which is a dead man with his brains blown out), and the pair quickly find themselves unraveling a collection of mysteries that are probably better left unmolested.

This is the opening scene of Saw, the brilliant new horror flick from first-time filmmakers James Wan (director) and Leigh Whannell (screenwriter), and one that will fascinate anyone with even a passing interest in the horror genre. To divulge much more of the deliciously twisted storylines would be a grave disservice to those who wish to be so wholly blown away by the nasty twists that Saw provides...

...but suffice to say that the flick's about one serial killer, two desperate cops, three or four skin-wrenchingly slick sequences of terrorizing torture, and five or six well-earned scares that will have even the most jaded Gorehound squirming happily in their seats.

If you're even half of a true blue movie nut, then you certainly harbor some admiration for actor Cary Elwes. This is the guy who stole scenes whole in Glory, The Chase, Shadow of the Vampire, Liar Liar, Hot Shots!, Twister and Kiss the Girls. Heck, he's the Dread Pirate Roberts! (If you don't know The Princess Bride by now, you're officially banished from reading my reviews. Sorry.) When Cary's name pops up in the opening credits (usually 4th or 5th), we think "Hey, cool. At the very least I get another visit with a character actor I dig."

Anyway, Cary plays Dr. Gordon, one of the chained and detained, Whannell himself snags the role of the also confused & captured Adam, Monica Potter is the doctor's wife, Danny Glover and Ken Leung are the detectives on the case, and heck - even the adorable Dina Meyer pops up as a criminologist with a few horrific tales to tell.

Saw boasts one of those fractured narratives, one that doubles back on itself a few times to divulge the creepiness in the most shocking doses, and it's great to see a movie that uses this technique because it actually works. Most filmmakers that attempt this gimmick do so for one reason: if they told their story in A-B-C fashion...you'd fall asleep. Not so here, as Wan and Whannell tip their cards craftily and quite confidently. As the surprises unfold, you feel satisfied and not cheated. That's good stuff.

Visually, Saw is gritty, grungy, pallid and stark. It's gross, grimy bathrooms and dark, dreary dungeons. Some may opt to dismiss many of Wan's directorial flourishes as those overtly inspired by David Fincher or David Lynch or Clive Barker, to which another could respond "And? The kid's got good taste!"

It would be a stunning disservice to Charlie Clouser and his brutally effective musical score were I not to mention how blisteringly cool it is, so I just did. Clouser's strains (not at all unlike the work he's done for Nine Inch Nails as a producer, songwriter and drummer) deliver rough-edged icing onto Saw's cold, rusty cake.

Shot, cut, finished and ready for its film festival debut in just under five full months, and clearly conceived by two young filmmakers who have just as much love for the Horror Genre as they do talent to pull it off, SAW is the absolute highlight of the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, a potential goldmine for the fine folks at Lion's Gate Films, and a classic waiting to happen for those who like their Horror Movies dark, smart, twisted and hard.

A shockingly good time. Grandmothers need not apply.
Old 01-25-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Did anybody manage to catch this one at Sundance?
Old 01-25-04, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "chained together" set up reminds me of that Sidney Poitier/Tony Curtis movie The Defient Ones
Old 06-05-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a trailer up for this at IGN that looks pretty interesting, as does their description.
Old 06-05-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
What the hell, that was messed up - can't wait!!!
Old 06-05-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
neat.
Old 06-05-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Can't wait for this one!
Old 06-05-04, 09:15 PM

I'm THERE dude!
Old 06-06-04, 12:57 AM

I'm just glad to see Glover still working. Brother, you are not to old for this shit!
Old 06-06-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
it looks alright. looks like it would have the potential to be good, but who knows what else is in that movie. hopefully nothing super cheesy
Old 06-06-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it in February....This movie is awful (In my opinion , of course). Elwes (in this movie) and Wanell are both really bad actors. Over-acting in every scene. Elwes is constantly crying like a little girl.

Many scenes have techno music pumping and MTV flash-cut editing. The scene in the trailer is actually the only scene I found to be slightly inventive. That 'reverse beartrap' the killer has the girl wearing.

I wanted to like it. The plot intrigued me. But I hated it...and so did the 5 other people I saw it with. We all talked about it afterwards, saying we couldn't believe how bad it was.

Now i'm seeing 'rave reviews' for it on the internet. I can only imagine that when this film comes out, there's gonna be quite a few dissapointed people who are let down because they bought into 'the hype'. Like I said, it's my opinion (and the opinion of the 5 people I saw it with).

You'll wish you never SAW it.
Old 06-06-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally posted by Seantn
I saw it in February....This movie is awful (In my opinion , of course). Elwes (in this movie) and Wanell are both really bad actors. Over-acting in every scene. Elwes is constantly crying like a little girl.

Many scenes have techno music pumping and MTV flash-cut editing. The scene in the trailer is actually the only scene I found to be slightly inventive. That 'reverse beartrap' the killer has the girl wearing.

I wanted to like it. The plot intrigued me. But I hated it...and so did the 5 other people I saw it with. We all talked about it afterwards, saying we couldn't believe how bad it was.

Now i'm seeing 'rave reviews' for it on the internet. I can only imagine that when this film comes out, there's gonna be quite a few dissapointed people who are let down because they bought into 'the hype'. Like I said, it's my opinion (and the opinion of the 5 people I saw it with).
I was hoping somebody who already saw it would have great reviews..............crap, that bad huh?
Old 06-06-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4 out of 5 fresh on Rotten Tomatoes , although the 5 reviewers they have leave something to be desired.
Old 06-07-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Good trailer, I've been reading good stuff about this on Creature Corner, so I am excited for this. They just need to submit an official release date already.
Old 08-27-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: "Saw" starring Cary Elwes & Danny Glover

Being re-released in theaters for the 10th Anniversary this October.

Good Lord this thread was pretty dead 10 years ago. Only 1 person actually gave a review.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/saw-re-r...nsgate-825810/

This October horror hounds can catch the horror hit of Halloween 2004. Lionsgate has announced it will re-release the gruesome franchise-launcher Saw in a limited nationwide one-week engagement starting Friday, October 31 with Thursday midnights in select locations. The serial killer pic spawned a seven-film, $874 million franchise with a simple high concept premise: Two men wake up in the lair of a serial killer named Jigsaw, forced to do the unthinkable to survive while figuring out their captor’s identity.
Old 08-27-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Only 1 banned person from a thread-resurrection. Not bad!
Old 08-27-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 years.... Crazy... Glad the whole collection is coming next month.
Old 08-27-14, 04:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

can't wait for the whole collection. i actually liked 1-5ish...
Old 08-27-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Pants
The "chained together" set up reminds me of that Sidney Poitier/Tony Curtis movie The Defient Ones
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oPwrodxghrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-27-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Holy shit, dude! How did this movie only get fourteen posts?

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-27-14 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Holy shit, dude! How did this movie only get four posts?
Well, there was this vaguely titled thread that made it up to 2 pages:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ughts-saw.html
Old 08-27-14, 07:23 PM
Banned

This is the only one I liked.
Old 08-27-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I'll go the other way ... It has ONLY been 10 years? Aren't there 6 of these!?
Old 08-27-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I'll go the other way ... It has ONLY been 10 years? Aren't there 6 of these!?
Weren't they churning one out a year for awhile. These aren't exactly the most painstakingly crafted films.
Old 08-27-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There was one per year from 2004 to 2010, it was a big cash cow franchise for Lionsgate. Never got into any of these, partially because they tap into my worst fears, partially because I'm somewhat squeamish, but mostly just frankly because of lack of interest. Heard that the narrative got surprisingly intricate as they went along.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.