Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panasonic or Sony Trinitron TV sets?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of purchasing a new tv. Not widescreen but a 27-32" flat screen TV with good picture quality. I want to be able to play video games and DVD's on it [without burning images on the tv]. Are SONY Flat Screen tv's reliable? I've read some great reviews on the picture quality on these sets. But I've also read that they break down just after a couple of years....some reviewers on amazon mention that there are pink vertical lines that show on the screen!?

Any sites you can point to me besides amazon that have good user reviews on TV sets.

Is Panasonic better? Give me your honest opinions. Pros/cons. Thanks.
Old 01-24-04, 06:13 PM

i personally have a sony WEGA 34" widescreen HDTV, while a buddy of mine has a regular 36" Sony WEGA TV.

Be both love our TVs. I use mine to watch DVDs, play video games (Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast) and to watch TV (DirecTiVo)

i think you can't go wrong with sony, imho.
Old 01-24-04, 08:54 PM

How long have you had your set scslider? Should I get like an extended warranty with the WEGA? I've read reviews about problems with the picture titling a little...the geometry settings?
Old 01-24-04, 11:41 PM

i got my SONY WEGA Widescreen HDTV (KV34HS510) in Sept 2003 from bbuy.

i went ahead and got the extended warranty when i got the TV. it was a big investment (TV cost $2k) while i got the matching TV stand ($400) plus a monster power surge protector ($200). in all, i spent over $3k on my stuff.

i absolutely love my TV, and its hard to see how i lived without it before. i was watching my Alien3 extended version DVD today. looked brilliant on the set.

best of luck to you. hope this helps. if you have any other questions, go right ahead and ask.

i have to say i hate these forums. pretty hard to login, just to reply to stuff.
Old 01-25-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are looking at the lower-end Sonys, I would avoid any of the FS100 (ie: KV32FS100, KV36FS100) models. You are getting are far superior product if you step into the FS210 or FS310 level of product for approx $100 and $200 more respectively. Some will tell you that PIP is the only difference, but that isn't true. From auto 16x9 detection to improved comb filters, it keeps getting better.
Old 01-27-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I have a 32" Wega. Overall i've been happy with its performance for the 1 1/2 yrs Ive had it, but there a few issues that bug me.

During any dark/high contrast scenes, when the shot changes, i've noticed some 'ghosting' as i call it (the brighter images fade out, instead of just switching with the shot - can be a bit distracting)

Also the way the screen is made, there are several horizontal lines running across the screen, and they can be noticed at times on widescreen films (being in the black bar area)

Anyone else notice these things?
Old 01-28-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had a 27" Wega for a little over 3 years with no problems whatsoever (FV26 model, i think?....I don't know....can't remember)

Anyway, it's been great. I haven't seen any ghosting or extra lines.