Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best online game rental?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best online game rental?

I am really surprised this is not in the FAQ's.

What is a good online video game rental place? I looked at many of the options, and I pretty much think "gamefly" looks to be the best. Any advice guys? Thanks
Old 01-24-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There have been a few discussions about this in the past... but nothing too recent.

This month's issue of PSM compared two online game rental stores and came to roughly these conclusions: Both companies services are about the same, games do not included DVD cases or instructions.

Gamefly: www.gamefly.com

Gamefly has been around a lot longer than most, and has a larger selection of older titles. 2 games at a time = $22 per month which is a little more expensive than others.

Gamerang: www.gamerang.com

Gamerang is a newer company with less selection of older titles. 2 games at a time = $20 per month, but you can also rent 1 game for $15 per month.

Personally, I think you could just as easily buy one game a month for $15-20 and not have to worry about returning it before you're finished. But if you are interested in just burning through all the recent releases, either of these services would work for you.
Old 01-24-04, 07:06 PM

Thanks "cheapskate", but actually you failed to mention that gamefly ALSO has a 1 game plan as well

Its 13.95. You mentioned no instructions (that really sucks). However, they do post game controls for each game on thier site for you to view, which I thought was kinda cool! Here is a quote from thier FAQS

"Do you send instructions with the games?

We do not send instructions with game rentals. We do post the game controls on our website. While these are not the full instructions they will get you started quickly. Just visit the game's detail page for the basics, or click on the instructions link in your shipping confirmation e-mail.

If you currently have the game checked out, then a link to that game's instructions is also conveniently available on Your GameQ page. Keep in mind that games and instructions are being added all the time. "

I used RED OCTANE a long time ago (back when you could only rent one at a time without having to commit to a montly fee) and they actually included instructions which was really cool.

Thanks again for the advice "cheapskate", I am going to sign up for gamefly now.
Old 01-24-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrmagoo
Thanks "cheapskate", but actually you failed to mention that gamefly ALSO has a 1 game plan as well
Ahhh... they missed that in their article too...oh well

Good luck with gamefly; let us know how you like it!
Old 01-24-04, 07:23 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Gamefly.com also gives you a free 1-year subscription to EGM magazine.

Rentzero.com (which I haven't tried) includes the game manuals.
Old 01-25-04, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
ign recently did a comparison article of the 2 big ones. I think they said gamefly was a bit more expensive than redoctane, but that octane had more of a selection. They said gamefly was better though cuz they allowed you to buy your game if you want for like 30 bux and they would send you the case and manual in mint condition... plus, they said gamefly's site was designed better.
Old 01-27-04, 12:19 PM

I signed up for Gamefly five minutes ago and the site is now down...right after I gave them my credit card and started setting up my Q. Seems like a reliable site...
Old 01-27-04, 06:26 PM

I was a gamefly subscriber for a bit, they are really quick to ship, and had the more popular games in stock when nobody else did. I just found it too expensive for the long term.
Old 01-27-04, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried gamefly and triggerfingers. As people have mentioned gamefly is pretty good (good interface and selection) my major problem w/ them is they were on the opposite coast so shipping was also a little slow. Triggerfingers was good in that respect since they are in Colorado (I think it was), the selection was iffy though and frequently they didn't have new games. Overall like Calico said it just got to be too expensive to keep up w/.
Old 01-27-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TheBigDave
Gamefly.com also gives you a free 1-year subscription to EGM magazine.
That's why I started gettting EGM! I didn't remember subscribing. I enjoy the service. Turnaround isn't too bad and you can buy used games pretty cheap.

Here's the deal, I've had a few games shipped to me upon their release. These games come to me brand new. I keep them for a couple of weeks, and then buy them "used" from Gamefly for at least $10 less than "new."
Old 01-23-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone tried Gamerang recently? I'm trying Gamefly (as is my brother who lives just down the street from me) and so far we've noticed the turn around time kind of stinks). Since Gamerang has a NJ center I thought maybe they'd be faster. I'm only really trying them to burn through the new XBox360 games since there's no way I could afford to buy the ones I want to try out and no local place rents 360 games.
Old 01-23-06, 05:42 PM

I am currently a member of www.gameznflix.com and I am VERY happy with it. As you are navigatiing throughout thier site it sort of has a "someone is running this business from thier basement" kind of feel to it But that aside for 16.99 a month I can have up to 3 games or dvds or a combo out at a time.

Whatever you do, just DONT sign up for the free trial. Its VERY weird how they run it, once you sign up for it, THEY pick what games and dvd's you get for your trial basis, you have no control over it. Very weird.

Basically I gave them a shot because first off they were real cheap, and secondly one of thier shipping centers is in PA which for a new yorker like myself means QUICK turnarounds both ways. I am VERY happy with them so far, they are NOT perfect but for the $$$ I like them. I have been a member now for a hair less than a month.

If you do sign up, make sure you use the coupon code DVDWEEKLY

I did a search online before I signed up and someone had posted that in another forum. If gives you a discount for your first 3 months (I forgot how much the discount was, but it was well worth it)
Old 01-23-06, 06:13 PM

gamefly.com is pretty cool shit
but cost $__$
Old 01-23-06, 06:31 PM

where is the EGM magazine thing at on gamefly site
Old 01-24-06, 07:18 AM

I used Gamefly for a couple months and I really liked it. My only complaint was they only have one hub that's located in CA and I'm in Ohio.
Old 01-24-06, 02:10 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Gamerang wasn't worth the effort for Xbox 360 games. In fact, I only managed to rent Kameo from them for my month trial. The vast majority of the games were labeled short wait which usually meant a week. Also, their shipping times were below average.

I signed up for Gamefly last week and I'm impressed so far. 3 days to get the games to me from California. I just mailed off the 2 games I had out today, so we shall see if the quick return thing works and they ship out my new games tomorrow.
Old 01-24-06, 05:38 PM

I signed up for gameznflix and every single 360 title is out. Most of the new PSP titles are also out. Extremely limited inventory, but cheap cheap ($12/mo- 3 titles out at a time). But if I'm not getting my rentals I want, what's the point? I'll cancel after a month if I don't at least get a couple 360 titles.
Old 01-24-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess I'll stick with Gamefly until I'm through the crop of 360 games. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-24-06, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by warcp
I signed up for gameznflix and every single 360 title is out. Most of the new PSP titles are also out. Extremely limited inventory, but cheap cheap ($12/mo- 3 titles out at a time). But if I'm not getting my rentals I want, what's the point? I'll cancel after a month if I don't at least get a couple 360 titles.

Be patient. I am almost done with my first month, and my opinion of them was " so so " in the beginning but I am starting to like them more and more. You will find that your "short wait" 360 games are really SHORT WAIT games. I practically have a whole Q full of short waits, but when they receive one of my rentals, I always get another one sent right out (a "short wait" one). Give them a month or 2 before you make a decision. If you used that coupon I provided you should have like 3 months at $12 a month (not to shabby)

Just out of curiosity, what state are you in? I am in NY and when I send a game/dvd out in the morning, they receive it by the following night, and send another out by the next afternoon! According to thier FAQS There distribution centers are in Southern California, Denver, Kentucky and PA
Old 02-07-06, 03:54 PM

Update: I've had the service since 1/24. They sent 3 games out 1/25. I received 1 on the 27th. Nothing since. Then when I asked customer service if they could send out replacements, they said wait til at least the end of the week and let them know if they haven't arrived. I've gotten 1 game rental over the course of 2 weeks. And they still list all the 360 games as out. Think I'll be cancelling after this month. Also they received the game back yesterday and still haven't shipped out the next.