Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite storytelling medium

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 05:16 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite storytelling medium

My favorite medium is TV followed by comic books and I get annoyed by how little respect they get. I was thinking about this today because I keep hearing people talk about what movie's going to win at the Golden Globes. I was also looking for the nominations for WGAs today and everywhere I looked on the internet for these just listed the movies nominations. The fact that they both honor television is completely ignored.

I thought about including more mediums, but I figured I'd tried to focus on mediums that are usually used to tell a story, so I left out music, painting, etc. I also figure comic books aren't popular enough to get their own option.
Old 01-23-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Books, no contest. They leave everything to the imagination, which is how I prefer it.
Old 01-23-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I said TV but it was close with books. The edge goes to TV because they can make me wait in suspense for a week, or season, or whatever. A good book just makes me read the whole thing in one sitting, and then I have nothing but my lonely thoughts.
Old 01-23-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I voted for books because of the imagination factor.

Originally posted by kvrdave
I said TV but it was close with books. The edge goes to TV because they can make me wait in suspense for a week, or season, or whatever. A good book just makes me read the whole thing in one sitting, and then I have nothing but my lonely thoughts.

Books can do the same, such as in series. You finish one book, but it is only a part of the story, and you have to wait several months for the next book to be published for the continuation of what was occurring. I know I've anxiously awaited quite a number of books...much more so than TV.
Old 01-23-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I couldn't decide between books and tv. I don't read that much anymore actually because of tv and just plain laziness, but I can't bring myself to pick one.
Old 01-23-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some reason I feel more satisfied after finishing a story told in a novel. It's like you worked a little harder, and explored the plot and characters yourself when you read it... however I understand kvrdave's "lonely thoughts" comment. This is why I force books on others so I have someone to talk about them with...

I am so pretentious.

Not that I don't love movies too... I'm really a lazy jerk.
Old 01-24-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also say books. I don't read half as much as I would like to because I am lazy as all get out. That being said I think a good/great book is always better than a good/great run of tv shows (which would be my second pick).
Old 01-24-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Books here. You are so much more invested in the story and characters than a 2 hour movie. That 2 hour movie would probably take 8-10 hours in book form.

There is nothing quite like finishing a great chapter and having to go off to work or something and have to wait hours or days to get back to the story in a good book. I've spent many a day at work wondering what was going to happen to my favorite characters when I got home.
Old 01-25-04, 07:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice poll.

Books, for me.
Old 01-25-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like all three mediums equally. Some stories are better told in one medium than another. So we need all of them to be able to tell all the stories most effectively.
Old 01-25-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
TV. I like books alot, but I have problems with them for two reasons. There's usually alot of extraneous stuff in them that doesn't advance the plot. TV and movies can't do that, so they basically get the point. Also, when I often read a book, I'll forget alot of it. If I see something on TV, it's engrained in my memory usually for life.
Old 01-25-04, 04:12 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I like all three mediums equally. Some stories are better told in one medium than another. So we need all of them to be able to tell all the stories most effectively.
You should vote for other. Poor other is doing so badly. You do make a good point though.

I didn't post how I feel about the mediums earlier. I feel that any story you tell in a novel or movie can also be told in TV or comic books, but the latter has the advantage of having all the history of an ongoing story. I realize of course that there are a few movies and even more novels that continue ongoing stories, but comics and TV are almost always ongoing. I love having characters that I can form attachments to. I love having plots that can run on for years.

One advantage that comic books have over other mediums for me is the fact that I love superheroes and other mediums have tended to shy away from that genre. Another thing that comics have is that they don't have the budget constraints that TV and movies have. Novels have the unlimited budget aspect also, but my imagination must suck because I think artists can do a better job of representing stories than my mind can.

One thing that can really affect my enjoyment of the various mediums is music. This is a little odd since I'm not like a music afficionado or anything. Good music can turn an average TV show or movie into a good TV show or movie for me.

Also, when I read comics, I always listen to music and to some extent try to have something playing that matches the mood of what I'm reading. I've gotten so used to this that I now have trouble reading novels. Music can be too distracting to me when I'm reading a novel, but I don't really like the silence.

I think the biggest mystery for me among the mediums is comedy. For some reason, TV is the only medium that can put out lots of great comedy. IMO, there's about one really funny movie a year whereas The Daily Show and various talk shows can make me laugh every night. I realize that may not be a fair comparison since they're not trying to tell a story, but I'm just trying to show how large a discrepancy there is. I think most sitcoms are pretty bad and still I'll find more comedy in even the dramas on TV than I find in most comics, novels, or movies.

I think the immediacy, diversity and cost of TV along with my own laziness really help TV my favorite medium too.