Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best way to hook a Powered Subwoofer up?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a new receiver and I wanted to know the best way to hook a subwoofer up to it. Currently I am using a passive set-up, where i'm using my speaker in&out on the back of my subwoofer.

I'm not complaining much...it sounds good, but I want the BEST way to do it.

The sub I have now also has a L&R line in, however, the receiver only has ONE Subwoofer out connection. Do I need a Y-cable to run this?

Also, I want to upgrade my subwoofer anyways.....I noticed Polk Audio has a subwoofer with an unfiltered LFE in

Seen here:

Would this be my best bet to have the best sound quality. Then I would just run all my speakers directly to my receiver.

My receiver is the Sony STR-DA1000ES:

I'm currently using an old powered subwoofer that came with a JBL home theatre in a box.

THANKS!!!!!
Old 01-22-04, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's pretty simple. Just hook up a single RCA Audio Cable from your Subwoofer Out on your receiver and connect it to either L or R Input on your sub. You don't need a Y Cable unless you have two subwoofers. Set all your speakers to small, set up the cross over point, and you are all set.
Old 01-22-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is the crossover point?

Also, how much better is this than the current way I have it connected....passive that is.
Old 01-22-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
OK, first, if you plan on watching any DVDs, then you need to hook it up through your 'Sub Out' on the receiver to your LFE in on your sub. That is the best way (it may be the only way) to transmit the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) signal to your sub.
Next, go out and buy the Digital Video Essentials DVD from a retailer. It should be around $20.
Third, go out and buy a SPL meter (Sound Pressure Level) from Radio Shack. It should be around $25, and make sure to grab the analog and not the digital meter.
Finally, calibrate your system with all of these tools (using both the video and audio through DVE shouldn't take more than a few hours). This will make your theater as good as possible until you get some pro tools and calibration items.

Good luck

BTW, a crossover point is the point where you want your speakers to slope down in the curve of the signal, and your sub to slope up in the curve. It is explained in DVE and all over the internet (and probably in your sub/receiver manual) more in detail.
Old 01-22-04, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
What is the crossover point?

Also, how much better is this than the current way I have it connected....passive that is.
Your receiver should be able to set a sub crossover frequency. It is generally better to have the amp/receiver handle the crossover function than to have to sub handles it. The sub will have one less job to worry about and thus better longetivity. Set the crossover point on your Sony to the lowest possible (usually 80htz) and turn off crossover knob on the sub. If crossover cannot be turned off on your sub, turn the knob to the highest frequency possible.
Old 01-22-04, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by hoyalawya
Set the crossover point on your Sony to the lowest possible (usually 80htz)
DJ_Longfellow,
I don't know what speakers you have, but check the frequency response of your L,C,R speakers and set the crossover in the receiver at or just above their lowest response. If your Left,Center,Right spkrs can't respond at 80Hz then you'll have a hole in your frequencies.
Old 01-22-04, 02:12 PM

hoyalawya.... this might be a dumb question but can you clarify....when you say the highest do you mean 60 or 120? Where do you set the volume knob(min or max)?
Old 01-22-04, 02:21 PM

Let's back up all the way to the top for a second. Polk recommends a completely different way of hooking up their subs. Note that there are Speaker In and Speaker Out jacks in the upper left corner of the picture. Polk says to forget the LFE coax. Set your reciever's menu for Large Fronts and No Sub. Then connect the receiver front outputs to the Speaker In jacks. Then connect the front speakers to the Speaker Out jacks. Check out the manual that came with the sub.
Old 01-22-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PJAceto
Let's back up all the way to the top for a second. Polk recommends a completely different way of hooking up their subs. Note that there are Speaker In and Speaker Out jacks in the upper left corner of the picture. Polk says to forget the LFE coax. Set your reciever's menu for Large Fronts and No Sub. Then connect the receiver front outputs to the Speaker In jacks. Then connect the front speakers to the Speaker Out jacks. Check out the manual that came with the sub.
Yes, this is basically how I have mine set-up now. I have my Sub "Off" on my receiver. I was just wondering if the LFE In was a better solution.

I do NOT have the Polk Sub, it was just one that I was looking at. I have an old JBL sub as stated earlier. I guess I'm not going to tinker around with it too much, I just got done watching SWAT, and things seemed to sound pretty good anyways.
Old 01-22-04, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by HTROB
hoyalawya.... this might be a dumb question but can you clarify....when you say the highest do you mean 60 or 120? Where do you set the volume knob(min or max)?
Based on the picture, highest frequency means 120htz. As for volume, do not set the volume knob past halfway (12 o'clock). To set it up the sub correctly, you need to get a sound presser level meter. Radioschack has one for about $50 (returnnable). Run a test tone on your receiver and adjust the volume of each channel, including the sub, to produce the same amount of output.
Old 01-22-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would NOT put the volume at 50% until you can verify that at 50% you will not bottom out the sub when playing very loud scenes on a DVD or music. I would suggest you start at about 25% and play a very loud scene (like the explosion on LOTR:TTT when Helms deep's wall is blown up) and if it seems a bit weak turn the volume up slightly. Do this until you get the big bass sound you want without bottoming out the sub. I'm not saying to keep going up on the volume until the sub bottoms out (this is never a good thing to do) but keep increasing it until you get the bass you want. Then you can calibrate the sub with either the built-in test tones or a calibration DVD and make the fine adjustments with sub level through the receiver itself.