Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Digeridoo music?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digeridoo music?

I'm looking for some recommendations for some good digeridoo music. Perhaps with some drumming etc. - kind of trancy stuff. I've listened to some Xavier Rudd and really enjoyed his stuff.

If you know of anyone who has some legal mp3s online to sample that would be even better
Old 01-22-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
For Christmas my brother got me a didgeridoo - completely unexpected, but a cool gift nonetheless. He says the ladies'll love me for it and I'll be known as the "Didj Guy." I can make some of the sounds, but I really need to pick up the circular breathing technique.

But to answer your question, Aphex Twin has a cool song called "Didgeridoo." Other than that, though, I can't really help you.
Old 01-22-04, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When my realtives went to Australia about 6 years ago they brought me back a tape with all digeridoo music on it. I still have it somewhere, I could give it to you for price of shipping if you wanted it.
Old 01-23-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've got no further suggestions, but Xavier Rudd is awesome!
Old 01-23-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SNKapcom
When my realtives went to Australia about 6 years ago they brought me back a tape with all digeridoo music on it. I still have it somewhere, I could give it to you for price of shipping if you wanted it.
That would be cool - my email address is listed in my profile so jet me your addie and how much oyu want for shipping and i'll get some money out to you
Old 01-23-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Cosmic Bus
I've got no further suggestions, but Xavier Rudd is awesome!
Yeah, i really like what i've heard but i've had a very difficult time finding any of his stuff to buy. All my usual sources in the area that special order things for me have never heard of him and i had someone look for his discs in Australia and they couldn't find them. Kind of odd.
Old 01-23-04, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by xmiyux
That would be cool - my email address is listed in my profile so jet me your addie and how much oyu want for shipping and i'll get some money out to you
You know what, I swear I just saw the thing a couple days ago but now that I think about it I think it got packed away in the attic along with the XMAS stuff in a box of VHS/cassettes that I moved out of my closet. If I happen to find it in the next day or so i'll let you know.
Old 01-24-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SNKapcom
You know what, I swear I just saw the thing a couple days ago but now that I think about it I think it got packed away in the attic along with the XMAS stuff in a box of VHS/cassettes that I moved out of my closet. If I happen to find it in the next day or so i'll let you know.
Excellent - no rush at all obviously so whenever you happen to come across it send me an email.
Old 01-24-04, 10:04 AM

xmiyux, you can get Rudd's albums directly through his website:

http://www.xavierrudd.com/disco.htm
Old 02-05-04, 10:12 PM

Dr. Didg = http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Blgjc7i38g7dr I've got their first two albums - fantastic stuff.

I also picked up a cd back in 1994 by someone called NOMAD, but I can't find any information about it.

But you should check out Dr Didg. It features Graham Wiggins, who used to be in the band Outback, which also has Didg stuff in it.

Cheers.
Old 02-06-04, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was also going to suggest Dr. Didj. Saw him live a few years ago, and he's really interesting. Certainly not "standard" digeridoo music but really likable and even catchy at times.

By the way, he really is a doctor. Apparently has a doctorate in music for playing the instrument.
Old 02-07-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
"Garden" by the Levellers has some didgeridoo (just listened to it again today at work) -- they may use it in some other songs as well, but I can't remember offhand.
Old 03-03-04, 05:02 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846
Old 03-03-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yothu Yindi is an Aboriginal Australian band that mixes traditional (including loads of digeridoo), rock, and house/techno into very interesting music. They had a minor hit in the U.S. a few years back with "Treaty" from this album:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
Old 03-04-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you're looking for something a little less modern, check out "Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser" while not didj focused, it has some didj in it and is a lot more trance inducing than stuff like the australian Dave Matthews aka Xavier Rudd. DCD uses a lot of traditional tribal instruments in their music, lots of drumming. If you like Spiritchaser, check out "Toward the Within" and "Into the Labyrinth" as well.

You can check out free sound samples at amazon.

spiritchaser
Old 03-04-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by monkeyboy
If you're looking for something a little less modern, check out "Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser" while not didj focused, it has some didj in it and is a lot more trance inducing than stuff like the australian Dave Matthews aka Xavier Rudd. DCD uses a lot of traditional tribal instruments in their music, lots of drumming. If you like Spiritchaser, check out "Toward the Within" and "Into the Labyrinth" as well.
Actually i have all the Dead Can Dance cds and adore them. Not only do i like DCD but Lisa Gerrard in general is pretty incredible imo.
Old 03-04-04, 09:35 PM

Actually i have all the Dead Can Dance cds and adore them. Not only do i like DCD but Lisa Gerrard in general is pretty incredible imo.
Right on. Lisa is pretty cool. She's really pretty arrogant if you've ever seen her in interviews or anything, but she makes great music. I'll always regret not getting to see them perform live.

I have a Didj myself and have looked around for some good music and really haven't found much. I have a friend in australia, maybe I'll drop her a line and see what she says.
Old 03-05-04, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Didj myself and have looked around for some good music and really haven't found much. I have a friend in australia, maybe I'll drop her a line and see what she says.
That would be great to get some recommendations from someone in australia who might have a little more access to some good stuff. I go through periods of time when i break out all my drumming cds and that is all i listen to - so i need to keep picking up stuff with good djembe, ashiko type music and relatively recently discovered how incredible the didj can be. One of these days i'll learn to play one of them (didj or one of the hand drums).

As for Lisa Gerrard, i've never heard or seen any of her interviews so i really have no clue at all how she is as a person.
Old 03-08-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where can one pick up a digeridoo (sp?)? I'm in South Florida...that may be an advantage...or a disadvantage...not sure which....
Old 03-09-04, 09:04 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Stephen Kent of Lights in a Fat City, Trance Mission and solo recordings under his own name.
Old 03-09-04, 10:26 PM

That would be great to get some recommendations from someone in australia who might have a little more access to some good stuff. I go through periods of time when i break out all my drumming cds and that is all i listen to - so i need to keep picking up stuff with good djembe, ashiko type music and relatively recently discovered how incredible the didj can be. One of these days i'll learn to play one of them (didj or one of the hand drums).

As for Lisa Gerrard, i've never heard or seen any of her interviews so i really have no clue at all how she is as a person.
My friend got back to me. Her brother's going to burn a cd of didj stuff that he has and she's going to send it to me. If it's any good, maybe I can shoot one your way.
Old 03-09-04, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by harpo787
Where can one pick up a digeridoo (sp?)? I'm in South Florida...that may be an advantage...or a disadvantage...not sure which....
Lots of places online to order from. If you want to see and play it first you could just call some local music stores. They could probably direct you where to go.
Old 03-10-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My friend got back to me. Her brother's going to burn a cd of didj stuff that he has and she's going to send it to me. If it's any good, maybe I can shoot one your way.
Sounds great to me. Let me know via email (listed on this site) and we can set up something. I would love to hear the cd he makes you.