Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hacking JP PS2 memory cards

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hacking JP PS2 memory cards

Unsure if this is the right forum or not, sorry!

I'm (hopefully) buying a modded japanese PS2 from someone on another forum and I want to be able to watch R2 dvd's on it. The problem is that it doesn't come with a memory card and that on this model, it's already fixed so that the region codes are on a flash chip in the console.

To be able to have it region free, or just able to play R2 dvds, I need to either hack the flash and change it or find a way to set the drivers on a memory card.

Any of you go through this or have an easy solution? Ideally, I would like to be able to use a memory card. Any place to find one fo the ones with the drivers on it or a simple method to copy them?

Note that this is not for dvd piracy, I just want a region 2 or region free player for my living room.
Old 01-20-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buying a Gameshark V3 is the easiest solution for PS2 DVD Region free I think.
Old 01-20-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why don't you just buy a cheap region free dvd player? Would not be much of a price difference and will be better quality.
Old 01-20-04, 12:04 PM

tenaciousdave,
someone who's resourceful enough to buy a modded PS2 probably would have already heard about region free dvd players.

He's obviously just looking to make the most of the money he's already invested.

Therefore, I don't understand the purpose of your comment.

But alas, i have nothing very constructive to add myself, other than if it's Xbox hacking, there's surely something about it on Xbox-scene, so I'm sure that if you look around there'll be a few good PS2 modding sites with more info to offer.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-04, 12:14 PM

Squi23 has it about right, my dvdrom is region free so I can watch dvds on that, it's more to add to the Ps2 the functionality it should already have. I'm not just buying the console for dvds you know, I do plan on using it to play game

For the gameshark, I'd prefer to find a lower priced solution that doesn't cost me anything, this is more for novelty purpose than anything.
Old 01-20-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

eBay usually has copies of DVD-X for auction. I got one a couple years ago and it worked great. It ran me about $20.

Jeremy
Old 01-20-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I meant it wouldn't cost much more than a Gameshark.

Feneant, you must excuse me. I work retail, and the masses stupidity is starting to affect how I interact with non morons.
Old 01-21-04, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by tenaciousdave
Actually, I meant it wouldn't cost much more than a Gameshark.

Feneant, you must excuse me. I work retail, and the masses stupidity is starting to affect how I interact with non morons.
I work with stupid people all day so I can't even say if your comment is sarcastic or not

It comes with Dvd-X I do believe, I'll figure something out when I receive it sometimes next week.
Old 01-25-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
I work with stupid people all day so I can't even say if your comment is sarcastic or not

It comes with Dvd-X I do believe, I'll figure something out when I receive it sometimes next week.
I seriously think that dealing with morons on a daily basis for the past 5 years I've worked retail is starting to affect me. I manage a Gamestop and you wouldn't believe the dumbass questions I get all day. To clarify though, I wasn't saying you were a moron. They might have infected me though. On the Interact/Datel Gameshark 2 Version 2 it did have DVD-X, on the current Mad Catz Gameshark ver 3 , I'm not sure. The Action Replay I think would have it though.

Do you guys have hubcaps for a 1972 Pinto Hatchback? Ooooh, Mini Trucker Magazine!...
Old 01-27-04, 01:48 AM

Wow was that a clerks reference?