Reload this Page >

American Idol - Season 3 - Audition Night 1

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-19-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh dear, how do the judges sit through all those bad and bizarre auditions? And why don't people have enough self awareness to know that they can't sing well?
Old 01-19-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People go there hoping they will be shown on tv cuz they were really bad. Some of them have to just go on purpose.
Old 01-19-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'm wondering why they didn't pick little soldier girl...I thought she was both sweet and a pretty good singer.

Looking forward to seeing how far SCOOTER GIRL goes...and how long it will be before she flips out and starts killing some of the other contestants....
Old 01-19-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
The worst thing about this show is how many commercials are shown. I swear it is like 5 minutes of show then 6 minutes of ads.
Old 01-19-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by BigDaddy
The worst thing about this show is how many commercials are shown. I swear it is like 5 minutes of show then 6 minutes of ads.
..and out of those 5 minutes of show, 3 minutes of that was showing what they are going to show in the next segment.
Old 01-19-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone else miss part of the end of this show? My Tivo had no idea it was running late. I was watching it on a delay and I heard Seacrest say something about "super-sized premiere". I hurried up and switch over to live TV at 9:04 and they were praising Scooter girl, so I completely missed hearing what she sounds like.

I guess Fox is just trying to boost ratings for the Big Fat Fiancee show.
Old 01-19-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Yea it ran over but I was watching it live. KInd of annoying.
Old 01-19-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
That red haired kid could sing. I don't think he has the look they want, but damned if he didn't have that old crooner sound to him.
Old 01-19-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The last segment dealt with Scooter Girl who is a zany blonde chick who has no compunction on telling the world her sordid past, but she could sing, so she made it to the next round.

Randy really wanted Scooter Girl to stay in NYC and go for Broadway, but Paula and Simon figured with some coaching, she could be a contender in the AI competition and gave her the yellow ticket to Hollywood. Randy also wanted her to bring the Scooter with her. But the other two made her give it away to someone on the streets of NYC. They finally gave it away to some big black guy.
Old 01-19-04, 09:20 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
I was laughing throughout the entire segment where Simon bet the girl she could clear out a restaurant/bar.

Old 01-19-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Drink Coca-Cola the bet was too Ford Focus is Cool staged and lame, but it was still predictably funny. Scooter Girl was AT&T Owns You a riot.

das
Old 01-19-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
I thought Drink Coca-Cola the bet was too Ford Focus is Cool staged and lame, but it was still predictably funny. Scooter Girl was AT&T Owns You a riot.

das
It's not like the spontaneous "We spent so long on your farm here in Arkansas, we thought we would give you this Dodge pickup. It has a hemi."

(yes, it took all of 20 minutes to watch The Simple Life Reunion tonight, we saw it while waiting for A.I. to build up enough buffer )

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 01-19-04 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 10:57 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, last season I didn't watch any more episodes after the first round, but I may have to watch more this season to see how young Conan O'Brien does.
Old 01-19-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He'll probably get bumped early like Danny Rodriguez, last year's crooner. America's not ready for a return of class.

das
Old 01-19-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do the judges sit there? Don't forget how much Fox is paying them not to mention being in the spotlight.

I'm surprised how Simon dealt with Scooter girl. Let's see how long he can handle that sense of humor of hers. Frankly, the girl behaved as if she fell on her head when she was born.

Last season, Simon said he was bringing back the good-looking people. I'm going to be watching to see if he keeps his word.

Last edited by big whoppa; 01-19-04 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey

das
I thought it was funny how the judges were drinking WATER from Coca-Cola cups.

Ringing endorsement, there.
Old 01-20-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones
That red haired kid could sing. I don't think he has the look they want, but damned if he didn't have that old crooner sound to him.
That guy reminded me so much of Eddie Kaye Thomas. Good voice, but I don't see him making the cut into groups of ten. I just cannot picture him singing pop.

Scooter Girl was cool. I thought she was going to be derailed by her gimmick (why must they bring props?), but she did well enough to advance. She really looked like she was going to cry when they made her give away her scooter.

The guy who sang "Unchained Melody" will be in the top three finishers. Talented, and the stuff of which preteen girls' dreams are made.

That bar crap was definitely staged.
Old 01-20-04, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I must be the only person in America who watched (most of it) the show last night that didn't think the guy that sang Unchained Melody was all that great. Wasn't bad and deserved to move on, but Simon's comment about that being the best he's heard that song shocked me. I really wasn't impressed at all. But your right about his looks and i'm sure he'll do well.

I too thought the crooner was quite good. Its too bad he won't last long.
Old 01-20-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think the guy who sang "Unchained Melody" was that great either. I thought he had awkward pauses and strung out notes that didn't need it. I thought it was passable to the next round, but didn't really do it for me.

Usually, if a singer can get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand at attention, and I get that jolt/tingle down my spine as I listen to them, that's usually where my interest gets piqued. Clay had that sort of effect on me last season.
Old 01-20-04, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Joeboo835
I must be the only person in America who watched (most of it) the show last night that didn't think the guy that sang Unchained Melody was all that great. Wasn't bad and deserved to move on, but Simon's comment about that being the best he's heard that song shocked me.
I think that what the judges hear live in the room (with the acoustics and all) may sound significantly different than what we end up hearing (after being picked up by the mics, etc.)

Of the people that passed, the only one I couldn't believe was the Bulgarian girl. Bad phrasing, awkward pauses, and absolutely no flow to her vocals. It sounded like she was just hitting notes that had no relation to one another. Surprised the heck outta me when the judges praised her and sent her on to Hollywood. Which leads me back to my first point: They must be hearing something different in the audition hall than what I am in my living room.
Old 01-20-04, 08:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was hoping that army girl would get sent on so that we could start back up the "American Hero" jokes from last season that we told about the "Achy Breaky" guy.
Old 01-20-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
I didn't think the guy who sang "Unchained Melody" was that great either. I thought he had awkward pauses and strung out notes that didn't need it. I thought it was passable to the next round, but didn't really do it for me.
In fairness to him, though, I think that Unchained Melody is not easy to sing a cappella. The melody is not that strong so without the music it sounds a little all over the place. I thought he had a nice voice and was very good-looking. I think he'll go farther than the JD Adams guy from last year. Something about his face looked like Elvis.

I'd like to see Teen Martin/Conan O'Brien do well. I think he could sell some records as Clay Aiken has shown. There is a real demand now for a more adult sound and it would be cool to have a young person bring back the classic Rat Pack style sound.

Did anyone else think that the Clay Aiken wanna-be/camp counselor was mentally challenged? I felt uncomfortable at how they held him up to ridicule because I suspected he was disabled. I'll laugh at dorky singers all day long, but I don't feel right snarking on someone who clearly can not help it. He seemed like a nice kid, though, but way too much of an American Idol fan. I did have to laugh that he sang a song from "American Juniors". I think me & him must have been two of the very few people who actually watched that show.
Old 01-20-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think sometimes the fatigue of listening to so many bad audition will allow someone with an average voice slip through to the next round. I think the Bulgarian girl was one of these slip-throughs.

I have to say, the reaction to the judges losing it had high comedic value.
Old 01-20-04, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Patman
The last segment dealt with Scooter Girl who is a zany blonde chick who has no compunction on telling the world her sordid past, but she could sing, so she made it to the next round.

Randy really wanted Scooter Girl to stay in NYC and go for Broadway, but Paula and Simon figured with some coaching, she could be a contender in the AI competition and gave her the yellow ticket to Hollywood. Randy also wanted her to bring the Scooter with her. But the other two made her give it away to someone on the streets of NYC. They finally gave it away to some big black guy.

I was a little surprised that Randy thought she'd be better suited for broadway, especially considering the quality, or lack thereof, of what' we'd previously been shown. Maybe that stomach surgery effected his brain. I recall another contestant from last year sufferring from similar criticizms. Can't remember his name, but I think he's done pretty well for himself .
Old 01-20-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't understand their reaction to Airborne girl. She had a pretty good voice. And cute as a button. C-U-T-E.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.