Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Steel Battalion 2

Old 01-19-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steel Battalion 2

Well, it seems that this will be coming out in March. The things I have read sound very cool, and to be able to play online sounds great. The question is, will it be worth it? A person would have to spend $200 for Steel Battalion + Controller (Restocking in February) + $50 for SB 2.

So to everyone that already purchased the original, do you feel it was worth it?

Here are some pics for SB2:

Old 01-19-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Lord, that looks nice. But I can't beleive that they aren't going to sell it with the controller. That's just idiotic.
Old 01-19-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker
Lord, that looks nice. But I can't beleive that they aren't going to sell it with the controller. That's just idiotic.
How do you figure? If anything it is smart, anyone that owns the original already owns the controller. It is not like there is no reason to play the original.
Old 01-19-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like fun for the 500 or so people that blew all that extra money on original game and controller.

Last edited by Outlaw; 01-19-04 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just for a laugh... here's a picture of the controller in question:

I can totally understand why they're not selling SB2 with the controller - if only for the reason that owners of the original aren't going to pick up ANOTHER controller just to play the sequel. Unless the original is OOP or something?

Anyway, own up... who bought this thing!??!

(not exactly the most wife/coffee table friendly accessory)
Old 01-19-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Outlaw
Looks like fun for the 500 or so people that blew all that extra money on original game and controller.
That makes me wonder...how many were actually released the first time through? I also wonder, how many they are going to be rereleasing in February..
Old 01-19-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Originally posted by flashburn
How do you figure? If anything it is smart, anyone that owns the original already owns the controller. It is not like there is no reason to play the original.
Well, I would want to release versions with and without the controller (like Namco did with the Time Crisis sequels). If they're planning on re-releasing the controller anyways (and they are), why not package it with the new game, rather than forcing new consumers to buy the two-year old original and the remake. They're dealing with a very limited market and I can't imagine how they make any money on these games; might as well make it as appealing as possible to the consumers.
Old 01-19-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker
Well, I would want to release versions with and without the controller (like Namco did with the Time Crisis sequels). If they're planning on re-releasing the controller anyways (and they are), why not package it with the new game, rather than forcing new consumers to buy the two-year old original and the remake. They're dealing with a very limited market and I can't imagine how they make any money on these games; might as well make it as appealing as possible to the consumers.
Well I cant imagine someone already spending $200 for 1 game and a controller worrying over spending $250 for 2 games and a controller.
Old 01-19-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I cant imagine someone already spending $200 for 1 game and a controller worrying over spending $250 for 2 games and a controller.
...or wanting to fully utilize the 2-player split-screen option.
Old 01-19-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about those who didn't get the first game but are intersted in the second?

Very happy to hear Capcom is brining this over here.. even if I may or may not get it.. good to have these quality niche titles out there.
Old 01-19-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PixyJunket
What about those who didn't get the first game but are intersted in the second?

Very happy to hear Capcom is brining this over here.. even if I may or may not get it.. good to have these quality niche titles out there.
Why would someone want the second game but not the first? Thats crazy talk.
Old 01-19-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would someone want the second game but not the first? Thats crazy talk.
Xbox. Live.
Old 01-19-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Maybe because the first game's reviews didn't make me want to spend 200 dollars, but who knows how the second game will rate? What if it's vastly improved, and I want to play this but not the first? I think it's perfectly reasonable to either sell the controller separate or offer two versions of this game.
Old 01-19-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought one, I love it. Can't wait for Lines of Contact so I can get online and get my mech butt kicked!
Old 01-19-04, 10:33 PM

That makes me wonder...how many were actually released the first time through? I also wonder, how many they are going to be rereleasing in February..
I don't know the exact number but it sold a little over 16,000 in the US and was basically sold out and impossible to find anywhere, meaning they didn't print much more than that. Not great numbers for a game, but for the price of the game you can't really expect it to.
Old 01-19-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This game would be sweet in a cockpit cabinet setup.
Old 01-20-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2nd game is on-line only.

http://www.capcom.com/xpml/game.xpml?gameid=750071
Old 01-20-04, 01:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally posted by edstein
This game would be sweet in a cockpit cabinet setup.
This is the first post/thought from this forum that made me drool.

That would be amazing.
Old 01-20-04, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Lastblade
I bought one, I love it. Can't wait for Lines of Contact so I can get online and get my mech butt kicked!

I own one too. And Lastblade you'll probably kick my mech butt. I'm not that good at it either.

Ok for the people who don't have it.
Yes it's Pricey!
Is it worth it? Yes and No depending on your opinion

I love it cause it's such a niche title. And by far a cool immersion to the game with that controller!

Rereleasing it with the original title and controller makes sense cause If you need the controller you don't own the original So you'll might as well get it.
Releasing the SB2 by itself will make all of us previous owners happy for not having to drop another $200 bucks.
Old 01-20-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by azeledge
I own one too. And Lastblade you'll probably kick my mech butt. I'm not that good at it either.
Eh... no! I positively suck at this game.

What's your gamer tag if you are on XBL?

Mine is "Will Hunting".
Old 01-20-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by azeledge
Rereleasing it with the original title and controller makes sense cause If you need the controller you don't own the original So you'll might as well get it.
Releasing the SB2 by itself will make all of us previous owners happy for not having to drop another $200 bucks.
That's exactly what I meant. Even more so now that the first one is single player only and the second is xbox live only.
Old 01-20-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I'm interested in picking it up though this is the first time I heard about it being Live only. I'll be in Army training from the end of March through the summer, so it really depends on availability. If it's actually still in stores (or if I can get someone to hold me a copy) that'll be great, otherwise I figure I'll cope without it

But I'd definitely want to pick up a copy of the first game if I did buy the game + controller -- get my full value out of it.
Old 01-20-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll chime in also. Preordered the first one about 4 months in advance paid a little every two weeks till it was paid off, and already have my preorder in for SB:LoC.

Lastblade, and azeledge you can both kill me if you like.

Tuan Jim Steel Battalion w/controller is supposed to be released 2/23/04, and SB:Line of Contact is out 3/16/04. I would assume there will be a limited supply again so getting at least the first one w/controller would be a good idea.

Last edited by Edison; 01-20-04 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 12:38 PM
dgc

I love it cause it's such a niche title. And by far a cool immersion to the game with that controller!
...not to mention that the gameplay is pretty good. Exactly why I'm getting it. This will be a classic piece of gaming hardware destined for the "Hall of Fame".

People can say what the will about this game and it's value. The $200+ price tag seems extreme but since I'm a big mech fan and I missed out the first time around, I preordered it a few weeks ago.
Old 01-20-04, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Lastblade
Eh... no! I positively suck at this game.

What's your gamer tag if you are on XBL?

Mine is "Will Hunting".
FYI my Gamertag of course is: AzelEdge

Maybe Edison, Lastblade, and I will be all on the same team!
Then we can collectively get our Mech Butts Kicked! lol

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.