Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Optical Lead Vs Coaxial Lead

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-19-04, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Wondering if you could tell me which of the above would produce superior 5.1 digital surround sound.

Cheers
Jabba
Old 01-19-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

waht type of equipment, I would say you would be hard pressed to hear a difference.
Old 01-19-04, 11:02 AM

Just a sony HT SL-40 (its in the UK) - nothing to fancy.....

I went out and bought a optic cable thinking the unit didnt come with anything but it ended up comming with a coaxial cable for the surround sound.... so I'm wondering if I should just return the optical or not....
Old 01-19-04, 11:03 AM

You're not going to hear much of a difference over a short run. The drawback to optical is that the connection is easier to pull out and more susceptible to kinking. Basically, the audio is digital, so either it gets there or it doesn't. That said, I prefer coax with good shielding.

Last edited by jscout; 01-19-04 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-19-04, 12:02 PM

But optical cable does not need shielding. It cannot pick up a radiated signal since there is no metal conductor. Plus you get the benefit of isolating the grounds of the two pieces of equipment that you are connecting. Properly inserted, optical cable is no more susceptable to being pulled out of it's connector than coax. For a technical discussion of the issue, visit http://members.cox.net/pjaceto
Old 01-20-04, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the info

PJAceto - Great link mate! Cheers.
Old 01-20-04, 07:03 AM

BTW, I can say based on first hand experience that the optical cable is indeed more prone to being pulled out. I have my CD changer connected with optical and it has popped out at least once, granted I was moving stuff around, which doesn't happen often. Previously I had it connected via coax and never had a problem no matter what I moved. I had to switch because I added another component that didn't have optical.

I also remember telling a friend to check his optical connection after describing his problem to me. Sure enough, he came in the next day and thanked me. All things being equal in signal quality, I'll take coax and it's RCA connection any day.
Old 01-22-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's a good cheap optical cable and where can I get it. My new player has only optical out, but I used coax on my older one.
Old 01-22-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by PJAceto
But optical cable does not need shielding. It cannot pick up a radiated signal since there is no metal conductor. Plus you get the benefit of isolating the grounds of the two pieces of equipment that you are connecting. Properly inserted, optical cable is no more susceptable to being pulled out of it's connector than coax. For a technical discussion of the issue, visit http://members.cox.net/pjaceto
My favorite all-time response to the idiot BB employee trying to sell me on the benefits of buying a $70 monster optical cable -

BB: "See how thick the cabling is? Very well shielded compared to the bargain ones"

ME: "What are you shielding it from"?

BB: "Um...the more sheilding the better."

ME: So you are sheilding light from other light?

BB: Um....

I don't know if I was even right, but it sure stumped him. I was hoping he'd say "there's bad light and then there's good light..." We could have had some fun with that one.
Old 01-22-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by svadas
What's a good cheap optical cable and where can I get it. My new player has only optical out, but I used coax on my older one.
Any of the Acoustic Research ones at BB are fine. You shouldn't spend more than $20 for an optical cable.
Old 02-01-04, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by svadas
It's hard to beat hififorless.com 3ft cable only $2.24 + $7.42 UPS ground (you can combine and save.) I ordered a couple of cables from them, turned out ok for me!