Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

(Tenitive) One-And-Only Best Console For a Particular Game Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
(Tenitive) One-And-Only Best Console For a Particular Game Thread

OK, I'm not sure this will work and will be happy to delete or lock the thread if it doesn't, but it seems to me since so many games are coming out on multiple consoles and most here own more than one console, maybe we can keep a thread going for people who would like some guidance in which console they should buy a given game for. I know there are some with IGN Insider access (god knows I'll never spring for it), and they have comparison articles that can be helpful. I'm sure there are folks on this board with some insight positive or negative that can help as well.

So rather than start a new thread everytime some one considers a purchase, maybe we can have one perpetual thread?

Oh, and as always, please don't turn this into a console-bashing thread. Comments about better graphics or shorter loading times are fair game, but outright console defamation is not.

Anyways, I have a couple of choices myself with the recent price drops:
Does anyone know which system is preferred, Xbox or PS2, for NBA Street 2 and/or I-Ninja? I have $30 and a couple of Gamer's coupons buring a hole in my pocket. Thanks.
Old 01-16-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
With those two games its really about what controller you like best. I haven't read about there being any major differences in those titles. I'm sure the PS2 will have slighty worse graphics and longer loading times, but thats going to be true 9 times out of 10.

I think you play the Xbox a lot so that controller is probably the most comfortable to you and might be your best choice for NBA Street and I-Ninja.

Last edited by darkside; 01-17-04 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stop playing games long enough to watch ED2. That sig has been irking me for over a year now. ITS EVIL DEAD DAMMIT!!!
Old 01-16-04, 10:33 PM

IGN makes some pretty weird statements about NBA Street 2:

"While the game indulges in a fanciful interpretation of 1970's styles -- lots of stars and stripes, wide curving lines in all aspects of the interface, including cut scenes and even infiltrating the edit-able characters' clothes -- the PS2 version looks different from the other games. It's got harder lines and a slightly gritty look associated with the characters and the backgrounds. It's as if the PS2 version is an upgrade from the first PS2 version, while the Xbox version looks almost entirely different. The Xbox iteration shows off a smoother, rounder look, and it even looks a little washed out, while the PS2 version, again, comes in with harder colors, lines, and textures. It's a technical difference to be sure, one can make the argument that the PS2 version doesn't have the graphical power of the Xbox."

I guess they make it pretty clear that the Xbox version looks better, even though they make the differences sound like they look like different games altogether. I'm probably going to spring for the Xbox version, especially since I won't be giving up online play in this one case. Still, I've been a little disappointed with SSX on the Xbox since I feel it's a lot harder and less intuitive to pull off big tricks with the controller-S than Tricky was on the Dual Shock. This makes me a little nervous about getting an "extreme" game from EA Big on the Xbox.
Old 01-16-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me the tiebreaker is the wavebird, unless there is a reason like Spawn in SCII Im buying the Cube version. The exception being sports.
Old 01-16-04, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict
Stop playing games long enough to watch ED2. That sig has been irking me for over a year now. ITS EVIL DEAD DAMMIT!!!

Sorry. Now I feel like I'm contractually obligated to refrain from seeing it. That, and High Fidelity is one of my favorite movies (if you haven't seen it yet, please do). I really should update my sig, but until I find one I like better, I'm sticking with this one.
Old 01-16-04, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madden or NCAA - I have played these games on all three consoles, and I have to say that they are best played on PS2 hands down. The major reason is because of the controller. The ability to use the shoulder buttons to juke/stiff arm the correct direction without having to use the directional pad is so crucial to a good running game, that lacking it in the Xbox and GC versions is a punishment to gamers.
Old 01-16-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Burnout 2 is better on the GC than the PS2 - lots more crash modes, 4-player modes, and 480p support. In turn, the XBox version is better than the GC - more car skins, minimal XBL support, some other extra features.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 is renowned for being best on the PS2.

WWE wrestling games seen to have their best version every year on the PS2. It's as if they take what they learn in a given year on the PS2 (ex. SD Shut Your Mouth), apply it to the other consoles' games the next year (ex. WMXIX for GC, RAW2 for XB), then create the best version on the PS2 again the next time around (ex. SD Bring the Pain).

And of course the GTA Double Pack for XBox beats the PS2 versions, balanced out by the couple of years PS2 owners got to play it exclusively.
Old 01-17-04, 01:07 AM

Anything EA--best on the ps2

Everything else--best on the xbox or gamecube, depending on whether you need progressive scan support or not.

This is just a general rule, and I'm sure that there are many exceptions.

Taylor34
Old 01-17-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah most EA games are better on PS2 because of the controller and online features. Tony Hawk is also better on PS2 for the same reasons.
Old 01-17-04, 09:39 AM

You see, this may or may not be the case depending on the game. I'm interested in The Sims Bustin' Out and I can't decide if the limited online functionality is worth the downgrade in graphics ( I don't think it's much different, but I don't know).

Dammit EA, get on Live already!!!
Old 01-17-04, 09:13 PM

I prefer sports games on the XBOX, but when it comes to a game like Tony Hawk or NBA Street, I go with the PS2 because it's easier to pull off tricks and moves with the Dual Shock.

Racing games I always go with XBOX because most support the custom soundtrack feature and that makes all the difference IMO.
Old 01-17-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Decker: "I've never seen Evil Dead II ...yet."

Actually, it's "I haven't seen Evil Dead II...yet."

/High Fidelity nerd
Old 01-17-04, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
Decker: "I've never seen Evil Dead II ...yet."

Actually, it's "I haven't seen Evil Dead II...yet."

/High Fidelity nerd
Damn. You're right. I just checked.

Well, I'm off to fix that.

BTW I just picked up NBA Street 2 for the Xbox. It was damn hard to find. None at CC or 3 local BBs. I got the last copy at a local Target and used an old 33% off raincheck to boot. I suppose they'll put out a PH version soon enough, but now it seems scarce, at least around LV. I wasn't able to find a single copy of Def Jam Vendetta for the PS2 either.
Old 01-18-04, 12:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by V-ism
Yeah most EA games are better on PS2 because of the controller and online features. Tony Hawk is also better on PS2 for the same reasons.
No. Tony Hawk is 720p on the Xbox and looks awesome. For that it is better on the Xbox.
Old 01-18-04, 11:18 AM
Retired

But again, most gamers don't have HDTVs and Tony Hawk plays best on the dual shock in most reviewers opinions due to having the 4 shoulder buttons.

This thread is a good idea, but will be tough to be definitive for the reasons above. Some features are only accessible to some gamers (like HDTV support, surround sound etc.) and some features are subjective (preference in controller, interest in online gaming etc.)

Hell, even reading professional reviews usually results in mixed results. For instance, EGM said graphics wise ROTK ranked X-box, GC, PS2 and Gamepro said PS2, GC, X-box, which is exactly the opposite!

So I think rather than trying to say which game is better, this thread would work better if people listed the differences between the versions.

Like for ROTK, I could say the PS2 is the only with online play, graphics are comparable across platforms as reviews have listed them in different rank order, and IMO it plays best with the Dual Shock as the shoulder buttons are used a lot and the analog triggers on the GC and X-box tire out my index fingers in these type of games.

That way it's informative and people can use the info to decide which version is best for them.

By just focusing on which is best, you run the risk of system loyalists just promoting their console of choice's port, or them getting pissed off and starting a flame war when someone claims the competitions port is better.
Old 01-19-04, 12:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
No. Tony Hawk is 720p on the Xbox and looks awesome. For that it is better on the Xbox.
Please take in to consideration that some people like to play the games they purchase, not just look at them.
Old 01-19-04, 01:02 AM

Well, I guess things have gotten a little off track. The purpose of this thread was that if people had specific questions about specific games, they might find some info and not have to start a new thread each time (like the recent NFL Street one, for an example). I don't think we need to deal in generalities.
I'll give my previous example, as I'd still like to know:
As I asked before, does anyone know or have the IGN Insider info as to which version, xbox or PS2 would be better for The Sims Bustin' Out? I don't have an HDTV, but I appreciate pretty graphics as much as the next guy. Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other about the differential of the graphics on the Xbox vs the online capabilities of the PS2 in this case. For that matter, how about ROTK? anyone try that online?
Old 01-19-04, 02:29 AM

-Decker,

I for one would love to have a thread such as this for someone like me. I was actually trying to find some information on Splinter Cell since I wanted to jump on the POP/SC deal they have going on this month.

After some serious searching, I still have yet to get some hard facts, but some stuff that I was able to find were console exclusives.

Splinter Cell is available for all platforms and the PC. I already have the PC version and I have no idea what it has except for graphics. The Xbox has downloadable content and graphics. The PS2 has 4 exclusive levels, but has the worse graphics. The GC has GBA/GC thing going on.

So with all that said, I'm still torn between which system I should get Splinter Cell for. I guess I'm going to have to look at what Prince of Persia has to offer because I have to get both games for a particular system. I do believe that POP on the Xbox is more superior.
Old 01-19-04, 11:09 AM

I've played SC on the PS2 and the Xbox. It looks so much better on the Xbox that I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone on the PS2. That said, there were some other improvements to the PS2 and GC versions, such as cut scenes (not a big deal to me), the inclusion of binoculars (nice), an improved inventroy management system and perhaps most importantly, a series of alarm triggers that made it so the entire mission wasn't over the first time somebody noticed you. Some might complain that this made the game too easy, but honestly, this game is so much tial-and-error anyways, I think it's an improvement. Perhaps the GC is the way to go as far as the improvements implemented and nice graphics. Otherwise, I'd pick the Xbox since it looks so much nicer and in this game the graphics make a huge difference in the gameplay.
Old 01-19-04, 02:08 PM

As far as soul calibur 2 I have only played the x-box and ps2 versions, and I would say x-box is better. DD 5.1, and Spawn. Heichi kind of sucks. If was Brian Fury that would be a different story, but as it is I say x-box.

Max Payne, both games, are definately better on x-box than PS 2. The graphics are just crappy on the PS 2. I usually rely on IGN.com to decide if I'm going to get a game on PS2 or x-box (I know, I'm sorry, they are not so bad), PS2 usually loses out becasue of DD 5.1.