Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hi. I'm Spanky, and I'm addicted.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I'm Spanky, and I'm addicted.

For the last year or so, I was avoiding the newer game systems, because when I had a PS1, I never played it. It just didn't pique my interest, and I didn't think I'd play one of the new systems much, so I didn't buy one.

Then, about a week before Christmas, I was doing some Christmas shopping with my brother. We came across the XBOX display, and he made an off-handed comment that I should buy an XBOX along with Halo and the Simpsons Hit & Run. He implied that I should buy it so he could come over to my place and play. I thought, "Well, I like the Simpsons, so what the hell." I went home that day, the proud owner of a new XBOX. But I still figured that I wouldn't play it much. Worst case scenario, I'd just put it in my bedroom as a DVD player.

So, I got home and hooked it up. Popped Simpsons H&R into the tray. I played it for six solid hours. My brother loved the game so much, he went out that night and bought himself an XBOX with the Simpsons, cuz he knew he'd never get to play it at my house.

That night, after deciding that six hours on the XBOX was enough, I sat down to watch some TV. A commercial for PGR2 came on, and it looked cool. So, I went and picked up a copy the next day. Dammit, another addiction. I've logged about fourty hours on it so far, with no end in sight.

Next thing I know, I've stopped buying and viewing DVD's (well, OK. I bought "Freddy Got Fingered" but I don't think that counts as a real DVD). I upgraded the hard drive in my TiVo because I wasn't watching TV anymore. Since I'm not buying movies, I start buying games. To date, I've picked up MechAssault, GTA III & Vice City, Medal of Honor Frontline & Rising Sun, Celebrity Deathmatch, Halo, PGR2, Simpsons H&R and Road Rage, Rainbow Six 3, NHL Rivals 2004, NFL Fever 2004, Links 2004, Crimson Skies, CounterStrike and Voodoo Vince. Of course, I've got the Tetris & Star Wars: Attack of the Clowns that came with the system too.

I even ordered DSL so I could go on XBOX Live. I never cared about having internet access at home before, since I do all my web surfing at work.

Now there's no end in sight.

My brother's situation is similar. His wife keeps yelling at him to "get off the damn XBOX." But he never does.

Am I alone in my plight? Am I the only one so afflicted? Am I doomed to never see the sun again?

Spanky

Last edited by Spanky BananaPants; 01-16-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-16-04, 11:10 AM

^ what he said.

Im in the same boat dude. Before getting an x-box last christmas, i only had a sega genesis. My thinking was that this new systems were way overrated and only people with no lives played it. Well, i got my x-box and bought MOH: Frontline and was completely addicted to it. Then i bought Desert storm, then max payne, sega gt/jsrf, splinter cell and halo for starters. i also stopped collecting dvd's and shifted toward games. I havent yet tried x-box live since i'm currently on dial-up but will get dsl or cable soon. But from what i hear from x-box live im also destined to never see the sun again.

This thread should be titled VGA- Video Gamers Anonymous

Last edited by spfanatic; 01-16-04 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-16-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's why we're all here, Spanky. Welcome to the support group.

Jeremy
Old 01-16-04, 11:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
My problem is that I spend all of my free time finding great deals and buying games, but not enough actually playing them.

Although I did start Xbox D&D Heroes last night and am positive that I'll play it thru within a couple of weeks. Not as good as BGA probably, but these type of games are very addictive for me.
Old 01-16-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-16-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait a minute.... You *bought* 'Freddie Got Fingered'???
Old 01-16-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Heh heh. Look at what my wife says about me in her newlywed journal in another forum:
Okay nothing new to post. I just watched tv while Mario played his games. He was upset with me since I didn't want him to play on the Xbox. I just wanted some quiet time together watching TV but he didn't want to watch what I wanted and just went to the bedroom and played on his gameboy. Ugh! I get really upset that he's always playing games whether it's on his Xbox, Gameboy, Arcade (MAME machine) or his computer. It just bothers me sometimes that he can spend that much time playing.
Then one of her friends responded:
OMG - I can relate here. Jason & his damn PS2 & his stupid football game is driving me CRAZY!! I swear I can go upstairs for 10 minutes & I come back down & he's playing! I'm like "I thought we were watching something??" His response: "Oh, well I thought you weren't coming back down..." I just want to strangle him! LOL.. so I feel ya here!
And my wife responded with:
Lisa I was LMAO when I read this!!!!!!!! Seriously I was laughing out loud at that one. That's exactly what Mario will do ALL the time. As soon as I leave he thinks I'm not interested in the show I was watching and on goes the Xbox! AAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHH! It makes me want to scream sometimes! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants to strangle her husband when they're playing.
I wouldn't be playing so much if there weren't so many damn_good games out there, I swear! PGR2 is so addicting.

Last edited by rabbit77; 01-16-04 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rabbit77
I wouldn't be playing so much if there weren't so many damn_good games out there, I swear! PGR2 is so addicting.
And therein lies my problem, I suppose. The games are far & above what I grew up on, even over PS1, which I had most recently. It really reminds me of back in the day when I'd go to the arcade and pump quarter after quarter into Space Invaders and Mario. I'd go in early on Saturday morning and play until they kicked my ass out.

In fact, even right now I'm thinking about how I'll get onto PGR2 right when I get home from work. I even have to remind myself to eat, it's that bad.

This thread really does feel like a support group now; all we need is coffee and donuts at the door!

Originally posted by Gromit
Wait a minute.... You *bought* 'Freddie Got Fingered'???
Well, yeah. It was a moment of weakness... Not a bad movie to watch if you're drunk, stoned or (preferrably) both.

Last edited by Spanky BananaPants; 01-16-04 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by Spanky BananaPants
Well, yeah. It was a moment of weakness... Not a bad movie to watch if you're drunk, stoned or (preferrably) both.
Yes, otherwise you literally feel more stupid after having watched this trainwreck of a film...

Originally posted by Trevor
My problem is that I spend all of my free time finding great deals and buying games, but not enough actually playing them.
I need to join a support group for this...
Old 01-16-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can quit whenever i want... but, i CHOOSE not to...

--
rabbit's quotes are dead on; seems like our generations' addiction (for men) are video games.
Old 01-16-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally posted by Trevor

Unfortunately that statement exactly describes me as well.

Spanky, if you think that your Xbox is addictive now, just wait until you get LIVE. You will never see grass again (or at least want to).
Old 01-16-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Spanky, if you think that your Xbox is addictive now, just wait until you get LIVE. You will never see grass again (or at least want to).
Actually, I hooked it up two nights ago, but haven't had a chance to play online yet. I'm actually giddy to go home and play online tonight.
Old 01-16-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Video games almost screwed up my life. It's a long and sad story. If it wasn't Friday afternoon, I'd stick around and share my story. But I gotta go home and play my games now.
Old 01-16-04, 04:49 PM

My fiancee and I have a related problem...we're BOTH addicted to video games (we both work in the industry, too), so the issue for us is the fact that all three consoles are in the living room on the same TV. We finally moved the PS2 to the bedroom so that we can play at the same time...which was fine until I got hooked on Culdcept before he beat FFX-2 (both are PS2 games). We actually tossed around the idea of buying a second PS2, though we weren't entirely serious and didn't wind up doing it.

Old 01-16-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Just do what I do. Play a game until it gets boring and sell it. I just unloaded Rainbow Six 3, Links 2004, Crimson Skies, and Medal of Honor: Rising Sun.

Of course the only problem now is that I have new games to control me.

When is the support meeting?

Old 01-16-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel mildly addicted to finding good deals on games (and only on games I want anyway), but I only spend about 2-3 hours a week playing them. My real addiction is music.
Old 01-16-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm also more addicted to buying games that are cheap. I bought D&D:heroes and hopefully i can get my wife into playing it (she liked gauntlet on the N64) so i can have more game time. Usually when i have a little time i just end up playing GTA:VC. i got xbox live but havent played much on it, i want to play Inside Pitch and mechassult. I have to learn how to play Ghost Recon before going online. I havent even really started Halo. My main current hobbie is fixing arcade games, so i end up spending my big chunks of free time working on fix sinistar, millipede, stargate or ms pacman. My wife does like to play the new Mario Kart, so i can play that fairly often and hopefully start on D&D heroes tonight.

ps. am i a loser?
Old 01-16-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Hi. I'm Spanky, and I'm addicted.

To date, I've picked up MechAssault, GTA III & Vice City, Medal of Honor Frontline & Rising Sun, Celebrity Deathmatch, Halo, PGR2, Simpsons H&R and Road Rage, Rainbow Six 3, NHL Rivals 2004, NFL Fever 2004, Links 2004, Crimson Skies, CounterStrike and Voodoo Vince. Of course, I've got the Tetris & Star Wars: Attack of the Clowns that came with the system too.

Spanky
You need to pick up KOTOR. Then you'll have to buy some Depends because you'll not only be forgetting to eat, but you won't want to take the time to hit the bathroom either
Old 01-16-04, 07:45 PM

Re: Hi. I'm Spanky, and I'm addicted.

Of course, I've got the Tetris & Star Wars: Attack of the Clowns that came with the system too.

How's Attack of the Clowns?
Old 01-16-04, 08:05 PM

If you don't want to fuel your addiction any more don't buy or play Rainbow Six online. You'll play for hours to just get a few more kills and it will end up being like 5 in the mourning. I've put almost 100 hours into this game and will easily triple that. Wonderful game, but highly addictive and a blast and challenge online.
Old 01-16-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by blakwngbrd
My fiancee and I have a related problem...we're BOTH addicted to video games (we both work in the industry, too), so the issue for us is the fact that all three consoles are in the living room on the same TV. We finally moved the PS2 to the bedroom so that we can play at the same time...which was fine until I got hooked on Culdcept before he beat FFX-2 (both are PS2 games). We actually tossed around the idea of buying a second PS2, though we weren't entirely serious and didn't wind up doing it.

I'm lucky too...my girlfriend loves video games. We have a PS2 (hers), a Gamecube (mine), 2 Xboxes (we ended up getting another Xbox when we were both hooked on Morrowind), 2 GBA SPs, and 2 PCs. Currently she's hooked on Horizons (a MMORPG) on PC and I'm playing Star Wars: Galaxies on PC and Prince of Persia on Xbox. I still buy DVDs, but have little time to watch anything except an episode of STS9 while eating dinner. I also got back into Magic: The Gathering (the card game) due to my girlfriend, so I also try to keep up with that. Plus there are so many other things I want to do. If I only didn't have to sleep.
Old 01-16-04, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by karnblack
I'm lucky too...my girlfriend loves video games. We have a PS2 (hers), a Gamecube (mine), 2 Xboxes (we ended up getting another Xbox when we were both hooked on Morrowind), 2 GBA SPs, and 2 PCs. Currently she's hooked on Horizons (a MMORPG) on PC and I'm playing Star Wars: Galaxies on PC and Prince of Persia on Xbox. I still buy DVDs, but have little time to watch anything except an episode of STS9 while eating dinner. I also got back into Magic: The Gathering (the card game) due to my girlfriend, so I also try to keep up with that. Plus there are so many other things I want to do. If I only didn't have to sleep.
Maybe it's the SoCal air that churns out us female gamers? It looks like we're neighbors - I live just on the other side of Buena Park from Anaheim. Though we're moving to Irvine next month. In any case, it sounds like we're in the same (great!) situation
Old 01-16-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dear Spanky,

I have seen many letters like yours on the internet regarding online gaming addiction.

If you need a divorce lawyer, give me a call. I am one and would like to help you get the most out of your assets before she builds a strong case against you and leave you nothing but your xbox and internet connection.
Old 01-16-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another thing I don't get.... I have all these great games, but instead of playing, I spend a lot of time on the internet reading about games. Why am I here?
Old 01-16-04, 11:08 PM

Re: Re: Hi. I'm Spanky, and I'm addicted.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, I've got the Tetris & Star Wars: Attack of the Clowns that came with the system too.

Originally posted by khai
How's Attack of the Clowns?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.