Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ROTK Possible Spoiler: Catapult Question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The title warns of possible spoiler so I am not tagging this.

During the battle at Gondor, we see the trolls loading the catapults with boulders and other debris. But who and what is loaded in the catapults in Gondor? It looked like they were flinging debris from the Orc catapult assault, but who or how did the men of Gondor load said debris so quickly?
Old 01-16-04, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was wondering the same thing.........some of those pieces where huge, and i don't see how men could have loaded them.

also the orc's where using catapults which hurl large objects, but the men of Gondor where using trebuchets which are for hurling small objects at high speeds. no way could a trebuchet hurl objects that large
Old 01-16-04, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Daytrip
i was wondering the same thing.........some of those pieces where huge, and i don't see how men could have loaded them.

also the orc's where using catapults which hurl large objects, but the men of Gondor where using trebuchets which are for hurling small objects at high speeds. no way could a trebuchet hurl objects that large
Yeah, I noticed this too. I think it is one instance where they allowed the look of something in the film to defy logic/physics or whatever. On whole though, it is something small and I think forgiveable.
Old 01-16-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Daytrip

Agreed, those chunks were way to big for men to move. But they did have a wizard . . . maybe this is the "magic" that people were looking for Gandalf to use?

As for the catapult vs. trebuchets . . . didn't they have both? I thought that the catapults were on towers and the trebuchets were on the walls.
Old 01-16-04, 04:10 PM

not sure, i only remember the trebuchets but you may well be right
Old 01-16-04, 09:03 PM
Banned

I dont know...but it looked really sweet...
Old 01-20-04, 08:58 AM

talemyn: "Agreed, those chunks were way to big for men to move. But they did have a wizard . . . maybe this is the "magic" that people were looking for Gandalf to use? "

hmmmm.. a logical peice of the EE? id love to see gandalf doing something like this. but it almost seems too much for him to do at once???

i tried to think of it as maybe since the trebuchets have those large parachute-like throwers, they somehow wrap or twist them around a rock.. i dont know..
Old 01-22-04, 06:19 PM

Maybe they had some kind of rail-system with blocks lined up, then slid into place for firing. Could have been as simple as a big stone block on logs or something.