Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How do I recieve and HD signal over-air?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy,

We've got the 53" Pioneer HDTV (no built in tuner) and would like to know what is neccessary to receive HD signals for CBS, Fox, ABC, and NBC over the air.

We currently have Dish Networks HD receiver and the HD package and love it, but it's tough being limited to just whats on those few channels.

And every time it says "available in HDTV" during a football game I get sad that I can't take advantage.

So what do I need to do/purchase?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't you have an antenna input on your HD receiver? Just plug an antenna in. You might have to roof-mount the antenna and/or get an amp for it, but some say indoor antennas work also, depending on your location.
Old 01-16-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
You need an over the air HD tuner and appropriate antennae. I know some of the DirecTV HD boxes have an OTA tuner built in.

The Dish 811 and 921 HD recievers have an OTA tuner. If you have one of those all you would need to do is connect an antannae to it to recieve the signals. Depending on your location you may only need an indoor one, if you can't get much of a signal you may need to go with an outdoor solution.
Old 01-16-04, 10:34 AM

Go to AntennaWeb to find the right antenna.
Old 01-16-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

okay, we've got an 811 reciever so it does have the input. yay!

i checked that website, it listed a lot of local channels and told me what size antenna i needed for each station.

should i be looking at stations in digital/analog or both.

just because a national carrier (CBS) has hd feeds, will my local CBS? (wcax in this case)?

thanks!
Old 01-16-04, 12:18 PM

If you don't want to go to the trouble of mounting a rooftop antenna without knowing exactly what you're getting, the absolute hands down best indoor antenna is the Silver Sensor from Antiference, which is rebadged and sold by Magnavox, Zenith, and Gemini and goes for $30 to $40. This a a UHF antenna only, which is fine since 99% of HD channels are UHF. Don't waste money on Terk or Radio Shack antennas.
Old 01-16-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hanson
If you don't want to go to the trouble of mounting a rooftop antenna without knowing exactly what you're getting, the absolute hands down best indoor antenna is the Silver Sensor from Antiference, which is rebadged and sold by Magnavox, Zenith, and Gemini and goes for $30 to $40. This a a UHF antenna only, which is fine since 99% of HD channels are UHF. Don't waste money on Terk or Radio Shack antennas.
thanks!
Old 01-16-04, 05:07 PM

Re: How do I recieve and HD signal over-air?

Originally posted by db27
And every time it says "available in HDTV" during a football game I get sad that I can't take advantage.
Go get the antenna before Sunday. The Colt-Pats game will be in 1080i and will look great! Should be a good game too. The Panthers-Eagles will only be in ED (480p widescreen) but still looks much better than SD broadcast.

But if you arent able to get hooked up this weekend, you do have two weeks before the Superbowl.
Old 01-19-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, i did pick up the silver sensor, but sadly it's just not good enough.

probably just cause i'm in vermont. but either way, did not get good signals, and don't even think that these were in HD locally.

gonna return it tomorrow.

thanks for the help though!
Old 01-19-04, 12:48 PM

Did you go to www.antennaweb.org as suggested above? That site will tell you how far away the transmitting towers are and what direction. It will also tell you which type of antenna you would need.
Old 01-19-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by NikePenguin
Did you go to www.antennaweb.org as suggested above? That site will tell you how far away the transmitting towers are and what direction. It will also tell you which type of antenna you would need.

I did, but I'm not sure what that tells me, bottom line the antenna wasn't strong enough I guess, and a rooftop antenna is not a option.

if you can explain it better to me, my zip code is 05452
Old 01-20-04, 12:03 AM

Looks like bad news for you.
Old 01-20-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by NikePenguin
Looks like bad news for you.
thanks for finding this, indeed crud news. but I must say I'm not surprised.
Old 01-21-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So can someone explain all these numbers for me? Do the different compass directions mean the antenna has to be adjusted(moved) to pick up the best quality signal?

(Louisville, KY 40299)
Old 01-21-04, 07:44 PM

Compass directions matter most if you are using a directional antenna. As I understand it, VHF antennas are much more directional than UHF ones.

In your case, there is only one station in a different direction than the others and it is VHF (the PAX station). I think the Silver Sensor, as recommended above, might work for you. You could also try an old pair of rabbit ears if you have a set since you seem to be pretty close to the broadcast tower.
Old 01-22-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the reply Nike. Yeah, there are no big trees/buildings/antennas anywhere near me. Clear skies. I figured and indoor would suffice just wanted to make sure before purchasing. So my next question is about stand alone tuners.

What is the difference between "on-air" and "off-air."

Any recommendations for a moderately priced one with decent features? I read the Motorola is buggy. I don't have cable or satellite and have no desire, the only things I watch are on the broadcast networks.
Old 01-22-04, 07:59 PM

I am not sure what you mean between "on-air" and "off-air" unless you are referring to "over-the-air".

The only OTA STB I am familiar with is the Samsung 351. I bought it online for $350. It changes channels a bit slow but I do not know if that is typical of these tuners.

You may want to browse the hdtv hardware section at www.avsforum.com for feedback and a complete list of available tuners. Ignore the DirecTV/OTA tuners and just look at the tuners for OTA only.
Old 01-23-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, when researching on the web (samsung, motorola, sony) tuners various sites list them as 'on-air' or 'off-air' tuners. My guess (and I don't want to base a $300 purchase on a guess) is that 'on-air' is though a provider(cable/satellite) and 'off-air' would be standard broadcast channels though an antenna.

Anyone else have any ideas.
Old 01-23-04, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Well, when researching on the web (samsung, motorola, sony) tuners various sites list them as 'on-air' or 'off-air' tuners. My guess (and I don't want to base a $300 purchase on a guess) is that 'on-air' is though a provider(cable/satellite) and 'off-air' would be standard broadcast channels though an antenna.

Anyone else have any ideas.
I was told that OTA (over the air) antennas were what you're referring to as "off-air". As a matter of fact i bought the Zenith Silver Sensor last night, and it just doesn't cut it, and i'm only 16 miles fromt eh broadcast towers. I'm going to try hooking up my rooftop antenna to my HD receiver this weekend.
Old 01-23-04, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by mee2
I was told that OTA (over the air) antennas were what you're referring to as "off-air". As a matter of fact i bought the Zenith Silver Sensor last night, and it just doesn't cut it, and i'm only 16 miles fromt eh broadcast towers. I'm going to try hooking up my rooftop antenna to my HD receiver this weekend.
If you have a rooftop antenna, you should definitely use it.

Click here for a thread at www.avsforum.com discussing actual performance of the silver sensor.
Old 01-24-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Great link to see the range of opinions. As we say here, YMMV. Or as one guy says:
Like all antennas & locations, it is situational ~ too many variables ~ if it works ~ Great.
Old 01-24-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm so bummed that I won't be getting the Super Bowl in HD, I hate Vermont

I'm having people over and such, and am annoyed they'll see a stretch satellite transmission instead of crystal clear HD.

POOP!
Old 03-16-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alright I just got an OTA receiver, Samsung t165, and Silver Sensor antenna. After 3 hours of playing with both I can receive a grand total of 0 stations worthy of watching. According to antennaweb I am less than 20 miles from every station. I have clear skies, no trees or big buildings around but nada. The analog channels sound fine but are total snow. Complete BS. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-16-04, 08:37 PM

Are you pointed in the right compass direction? Those silver sensors are pretty directional.
Old 03-16-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It seems to be. I mean I'm not even getting a blip from the DTV led.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.