Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

why is the idle session timeout period so short?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 01-15-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These forums log users out waaaaaaaaaay toooooooooo fast...

It will probably happen while I type this if I can't type it fast enough. (It did happen. I had to re-enter this post again! What a royal pain the the butt )

The problem is this: The idle session timeout period is way too short, what is it like 5 minutes? Christ give me 15 minutes at least!

So, when I attempt to post a reply to a thread (and I've already logged in), if I don't submit the reply quick enough, my session will be dropped and my thread will get lost because I will have to log in again. And at this point it's too late to go back and copy my reply, because you can't go back to the thread at that point. So, I am usually forced to copy the text before I hit the submit button, so IF I have to login again, I will still have the content of my post to paste into a new reply.

And to furthur make it more user-unfriendly, when I am forced to login again, I am not returned to the thread I was at like it claims it will do. I have to start all over again, finding the forum section and thread all over again, and then pasting(or re-typing if i forget to copy) in my content into a new reply.

Can someone please improve/fix this behaviour?

Otherwise, this forum pretty much rocks out.
Old 01-15-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Is there something wrong with your cookies? Try clearing them out and starting all over. Also, try logging in through the forum index rather than the Quick Reply box, if you're not already. I stay logged in for months at a time, if not longer than that.
Old 01-15-04, 06:48 PM

I never get logged out. I didn't know that was an option. I sometimes, however, leave my computer for an hour and come back to find all the forum threads marked "read"....grrrrrrr
Old 01-15-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I can even log in and out on another computer without it logging me out on my main one
there's another forum I use that will invalid the cookie on my main computer and log me out if I log in from a different computer

last time I had to log in on my main computer was a few weeks ago because I purposely deleted all my cookies, but before that I had probably been logged in since my last format/windows reinstall which was over a year before the time I did my cookie delete
Old 01-17-04, 04:30 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using the login feature through the quick reply window?

Because if so, it's broken with this version of the software.

You need to adjust your user control settings to keep yourself logged into the forum.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-19-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spankasmurf
I never get logged out. I didn't know that was an option. I sometimes, however, leave my computer for an hour and come back to find all the forum threads marked "read"....grrrrrrr
Yep. That happens for me after leaving the computer for 15 minutes or so. Kind of annoying, but otherwise it's fine.