Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

George Harrison catalog to be reissued Feb 24th

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-15-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From billboard.com

Capitol has set a Feb. 24 release date for a bonanza of George Harrison reissues originally issued on his Dark Horse imprint. The albums "Thirty Three & 1/3," "George Harrison," "Somewhere in England," "Gone Troppo," "Cloud Nine" and "Live in Japan" have been out-of-print for years. Each has been digitally remastered and bolstered with bonus tracks, new liner notes and rare photographs. A deluxe boxed set, "The Dark Horse Years, 1976-1992," with an exclusive DVD, will also be available.

The 1992 Billboard Century Award winner had been planning to reissue these albums, as well as his 1973 set "Living in the Material World" and the 1971 live album "The Concert for Bangla Desh" for some time before his death in December 2001. Earlier that year, Capitol released an expanded reissue of his 1970 solo debut "All Things Must Pass."
The 1976 set "Thirty Three & 1/3" was self-produced by Harrison and sports contributions from Billy Preston, David Foster and Gary Wright. The set has been appended with the bonus cut "Tears of the World" and features comments from Harrison's autobiography, "I Me Mine."

"George Harrison" was released three years later and featured backing by Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood, among others. It is bolstered here by a demo of album track "Here Comes the Moon." 1981's "Somewhere in England," featuring the John Lennon tribute "All Those Years Ago" with Beatles bandmates Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, now includes a demo of "Save the World."

"Gone Troppo," released in 1982, is best known for the singles "Wake Up My Love" and "I Really Love You," as well as "Dream Away" from the film "Time Bandits." A demo of "Mystical One" is included as a bonus. 1987's "Cloud Nine" features the smash hit "Got My Mind Set on You" and now includes the bonus cut "Shanghai Surprise."

Because bonus tracks were not available for "Live in Japan," that album will be reissued as a double-disc Super Audio CD in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. Taped during a tour of the country in 1991, the set finds Harrison backed by such artists as Clapton and Chuck Leavell as he runs through solo hits and such Beatles classics as "Taxman," "Something," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Here Comes the Sun."

The 75-minute DVD included in the boxed set will come with a 36-page booklet featuring an essay from Harrison's wife Olivia and liner notes by journalist David Fricke. Archival footage spotlights Harrison discussing his solo career and performing with Clapton on the 1991 Japanese tour.

As previously reported, Harrison will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist March 15 in New York. In November, Warner Strategic Marketing issued a CD/DVD of "Concert for George," a November 2002 tribute show in London that featured McCartney, Starr, Clapton and Tom Petty, among others.

Should have e-bayed Live In Japan when I had the chance
Old 01-15-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wahoo! i love that album cover, and now i'll be able to own it.
Old 01-16-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is great news!!!!
Old 01-16-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be mentioned: All Things Must Pass, probably the definitive GH album, was re-released two years ago. If you don't own it, and like the Beatles, run don't walk. Clapton's solo on "Wah-Wah" is worth the price of entry alone.
Old 01-17-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Yeah, great news... thanks for the info.

The Concert for George DVD is a must-have. I know George was in spirit at the show and having a helluva good time.
Old 01-17-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where's the Wilbury's Remasters ?!
Old 01-17-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Sounds like there's only one measly bonus track on most of these? Not enough to make me trade in my current "Cloud Nine" CD unfortunately, tho' I may have to pick up some of the other albums I don't already own...
Old 01-17-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Butt
good question. i've wanted to add the first album to my collection for years, but i'm not too keen on paying $20-$30 on ebay for it.
Old 01-17-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I asked about the Wilbury albums about 6 months ago, and was directed to a news site stating that they would be coming out with Harrison remasters. LIES!
Old 09-07-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: George Harrison catalog to be reissued Feb 24th

Stumbled upon this while browsing Amazon and figured this was as good a place to post it as any.

In November 1968, George Harrison released 'Wonderwall Music'. A soundtrack to an art film called 'Wonderwall' this predominantly Indian music collection was the first solo album to be released by a Beatle and also the first album on the newly formed Apple Records. George would continue to release albums on Apple (and EMI) through to 1975's soul-influenced 'Extra Texture (Read All About It)' touching on experimentalism with 'Electronic Sound', the magnificent triple album 'All Things Must Pass', the chart-topping 'Living In The Material World' and the, perhaps, less well-known 'Dark Horse'. This box brings all these eclectic albums together in one set that mirrors 2004's 'Dark Horse Years' box set and will contain a perfect bound book with a DVD. All albums have been remastered by Dhani Harrison and Paul Hicks and all will be packaged in high-quality card packs and all albums, apart from 'All Things Must Pass' and 'Living In The Material World' contain newly written notes by Kevin Howlett. The DVD contains a brand new, never before seen video which has been painstakingly overseen by Olivia Harrison and all packages contain new photos many never seen before.
LINK

Glad we're finally getting a box set for his earlier music to go along with the Dark Horse Years box set. I appreciate that they've basically made this a mirror of the earlier box set. They'll look nice next to one another.
Old 09-07-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I hope we can finally get a CD of All Things Must Pass that doesn't sound like shit. One of my top 10 favorite albums and I love it even more than any album by The Beatles.
Old 09-07-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
These have been out since 2007.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P0...ref=mp_s_a_1_3
Old 09-07-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boss stuff!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Fantastic set. Now I want to put my copy on. Wilbury's I or III, can't decide which first.
Old 09-07-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

A pricey set for something with little new bonus material.
Old 09-08-14, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I hope we can finally get a CD of All Things Must Pass that doesn't sound like shit. One of my top 10 favorite albums and I love it even more than any album by The Beatles.
sounds o.k. to me.