Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

? on Law & Order DVD sets

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? on Law & Order DVD sets

So, I've been watching L & O S1....lurve it!!! Best show ever....but I hear that "they" are not planning to release anymore season sets due to poor sales (you Bastards)!!

Recently, I found out about the L & O spinoffs (Criminal Intent and Special Victims Unit). Would purchasing these spinoffs satisfy my craving for more L & O?

(Please don't say that I can see L & O on A & E...I don't have cable/tv/satellite and I like it that way)!
Old 01-14-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would definitely recommend "L&O: SVU". I started watching the regular "L&O" in its second or third season, and "SVU" from the very beginning. "SVU" quickly became my favorite of the 2. The Meloni/Hargitay combo is terrific and nuanced. The first season of "SVU" tried to incorporate the detectives' private lives into the episodes. That was pretty quickly set aside, but it helps in knowing their background and understanding their characters.

(I haven't watched "Criminal Intent" yet, though I plan to catch up on DVD. )
Old 01-14-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I am very pissed off at Universal for not continuing to release the L&O sets.
Old 01-14-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. I had the first set and was planning to continue to buy them, but I guess not. I would highly recommend SVU over CI.
Old 01-15-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
I am very pissed off at Universal for not continuing to release the L&O sets.
Ditto. Big, successful show. Lots of seasons. Lots of people love to rewatch. I figured additional sets would be a no-brainer.

But, we're dealing with Universal here. You must check your logic at the door.
Old 01-15-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
They are only releasing sets for SVU and CI, not the original series? They might release the rest of the seasons of the original series whenever it gets cancelled, but I doubt it'd be cancelled anytime soon - still a solid show. I probably will get the CI and SVU sets someday. All great shows.
Old 01-15-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
L&O: CI is a FANTASTIC box set and I HIGHLY recommend it. I just can't stop watching it and I'm bummed I have only 2 episodes left. (I am NOT a fan of SVU.) If you like L&O, CI will certainly please you...
Old 01-15-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by uteotw
If you like L&O, CI will certainly please you...

I have to disagree. CI may please some Law & Order fans but it is certainly not a given. I can't stand CI myself. The know-it-all detective really gets on my nerves.

Now SVU is a great show IMO. The best L&O currently on the air.

I would suggest watching an episode or 2 of each on NBC before deciding to buy box sets.
Old 01-16-04, 04:47 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

red dog i completely agree Vincent D'onforio plays the pshyic, know it all detective, and it is horrible, I just bought both seasons (CI and SVU) this week at BB and while SVU is the best drama besides CSI. Criminal Intent just sucks, he seems to know every thing about everything. There is no way anyone has knowledge about every situation, it just ruins the show, that being said I am trying to sell CI
Old 01-16-04, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tend to agree. The show wouldn't be so bad except for D'onforio's character. He is pretty much the whole reason I don't watch it anymore.
Old 01-16-04, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by movieking
I tend to agree. The show wouldn't be so bad except for D'onforio's character. He is pretty much the whole reason I don't watch it anymore.
That's too bad....I really admire D'Onoforio's acting talent.

Thanks for the advice....I believe I will be purchasing L & O SVU in the near future!
Old 01-17-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: ? on Law & Order DVD sets

Originally posted by The Lusty Nun
Would purchasing these spinoffs satisfy my craving for more L & O?
It didn't for me. The one and only Original is the only one I liked/followed.

I do have some good news for you, though.

Here is a link to a B&N exclusive called L&O Crime Scenes. It is 8 episodes )none from Season 1) that Dick Wolf personally selected. It carries the B&N label, so it is a true exculsive. The price right now is $19.99, but it goes on sale all the time for $17.99 especially in the B&M stores.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...57&cds2Pid=946

Add me to the list of very dissapointed customers. The coupon that was included in the Season 1 set was a kick while I was down (it advertised Season 2 would be out in Spring of 2003. What a cruel joke).

Hope this helps!

--LVM
Old 01-17-04, 11:03 AM

LV Michael, thanks for the link....but the 1 review at bn.com about not being able to play the last 2 episodes on Disc 1 concerns me.

Old 01-17-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Are other seasons of Law & Order available in R2 or R4?
Old 01-22-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by The Lusty Nun
LV Michael, thanks for the link....but the 1 review at bn.com about not being able to play the last 2 episodes on Disc 1 concerns me.

Nun,
Did you ever pick up any other L&O sets? If not, I have Criminal Intent and wouldn't mind swapping with you for a while. Let me know what you think...
Old 01-22-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Re: ? on Law & Order DVD sets

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael

Here is a link to a B&N exclusive called L&O Crime Scenes. It is 8 episodes )none from Season 1) that Dick Wolf personally selected. It carries the B&N label, so it is a true exculsive. The price right now is $19.99, but it goes on sale all the time for $17.99 especially in the B&M stores.

That's actually not a bad mix of episodes. They have some good ones in there.
Old 01-22-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
There is no way anyone has knowledge about every situation, it just ruins the show, that being said I am trying to sell CI
But that's the premise behind the show.... His character is a Sherlock Holmesian sleuth, a man of much knowledge who can mix it together to reach a conclusion BEFORE us normal humans....

That said, I like L&O:CI, but I really like SVU. I watch it all the darn time on USA....