Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Is Anyone Else SICK of the Freddy vs. Jason Pop-Ups?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I'm the only one here who has the problem, but even with a pop-up blocker, I'm occassionaly greeted by a loud and annoying Freddy vs. Jason pop-up when I swing by the main site. This also means that when I click on the forum link, I'm redirected to the Freddy vs. Jason website. This happening to anyone else at least once in a while? It's happened to me too many times to be quiet about it anymore.
Old 01-14-04, 09:14 AM
Banned

Try Norton Internet Security 2004. It kills these ads very effectively.
Old 01-14-04, 09:20 AM

Problem is that it's not really a popup window per se but some sort of internal script or program. Someone more programming-savvy than me would know what it is. Anyway, popup killer won't kill it.

Seeing more and more of these things now, and I agree, they are annoying as hell and do piss me off, especially when they're accompanied by a loud sound, which most of them are. I make it a practice to boycott anything I see advertised in one of these things.
Old 01-14-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only thing bugging me is this babylon 5 popup that is definitely *not* a popunder... but this probably belongs in either the computer forum, feedback, or other...
Old 01-14-04, 10:06 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i hate how they are TIMED now. aintitcoolnews.com and joblo.com were a pain in the ass to read through, since every time you clicked on a new link, you had to wait 20 seconds. This was for the FvJ dvd release as well as the new motorcycle movie Torque
Old 01-14-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sell Sell Sell, the American way. If you beat someone on the head enough times they may hate it but it stays on their minds.
Old 01-14-04, 10:26 AM

Yes.
Old 01-14-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This site is free you know. They have to pay for it somehow. Now if you payed a membership fee it would be different but for now you just got to live with it.
Old 01-14-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
I use MOZILLA for my browser. There's a setting for blocking unrequested popups. Never had a problem.
Old 01-14-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
This site is free you know. They have to pay for it somehow. Now if you payed a membership fee it would be different but for now you just got to live with it.
Actually, if you read the user agreement, this site is NOT free! It's $30 per year and said amount is paid for by advertisers so long as users honor the agreement.

Personally, I appreciate the hell out of Geoff and if it means I have to see the profiles of Freddy and Jason a few times a day, I can deal with it.
Old 01-14-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I scroll down to the bottom and click on the Forum link, this bypassess the re-direct to the JF website.

Yes, I hate the "Pop-Up".
Old 01-14-04, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Actually, if you read the user agreement, this site is NOT free! It's $30 per year and said amount is paid for by advertisers so long as users honor the agreement.
Here's the relevant part for the people that are recommending and using "ad blocking or suppression software." Perhaps the admins need to provide an address for those people to mail their yearly fees?

DVD Talk is a private membership organization, NOT a public forum. Membership to DVD Talk is predicated on your ADHERENCE to the rules and policies detailed below. Failure to abide by these rules will result in the closure of your forum account and an end to your Membership on the site. DVD Talk Membership is not free, the membership fee (which is thirty dollars per year) is paid on your behalf by the advertisers on this site. As such you agree not to use any ad blocking or suppression software or be liable for your membership fee.
Old 01-14-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I appreciate the hell out of Geoff and if it means I have to see the profiles of Freddy and Jason a few times a day, I can deal with it.
Do YOU pay $30 a year to be here? No, then it IS FREE to you. The pop ups and the annoying F vs J thing pays your fee.
Old 01-14-04, 11:13 AM

Do YOU pay $30 a year to be here? No, then it IS FREE to you. The pop ups and the annoying F vs J thing pays your fee.
[OFFTOPIC]
Ah welfare. Brings up the old question - is it truely free if someone else is paying for it? Free Healthcare, free tuiton, free foodstamps...
[/OFFTOPIC]
Old 01-14-04, 11:14 AM

I don't mind the ad at all but I do wish that it worked correctly.
When loading the main page, the banner ad expands over the links at the top of the page and then I just hit the close link on the ad itself and it compacts again.... Or so it would seem.
The ad doesn't actually close as it is still active over the same area of screen but it is now invisible. If I close it immediately and then try to click on the forum link in the header bar, it is the same as clicking on the ad itself! (you'll notice that after closing the ad and performing a mouseover on those links that no URL is displayed in the browser status bar).
Maybe it's just my system configuration or IE but even if I close it, I still have to wait for it to timeout anyway before I can click any links under that area where the ad would overlay.
Old 01-14-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not going to argue with you about what's clearly written in the user agreement. I don't know why you are attacking me, perhaps you need to re-read my post.
Old 01-14-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not going to argue with you about what's clearly written in the user agreement. I don't know why you are attacking me, perhaps you need to re-read my post.
I'm not attacking you. I apologize if you took it that way. I capitalized certain words to make them stand out. I haven't figured out the bold text option yet. I don't understand how it is not free for the users of this site? You pay no monotary value to use it. You just have to put up with the pop ups. Unless you mean the time taking away from you by making you look at the popups as some sort of payment to the site?
Old 01-14-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by redinger
[OFFTOPIC]
Ah welfare. Brings up the old question - is it truely free if someone else is paying for it? Free Healthcare, free tuiton, free foodstamps...
[/OFFTOPIC]
So you pay for it by it being a waste of your time to view the pop ups is that what you are saying? If that is the case nothing is free in this world.
Old 01-14-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Use Avant Browser and disable Flash. All these ads are flash and that's why they are so detailed and transparent. Many are insanely hard to see or find the close button on.
Old 01-14-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not attacking you. I apologize if you took it that way. I capitalized certain words to make them stand out. I haven't figured out the bold text option yet. I don't understand how it is not free for the users of this site? You pay no monotary value to use it. You just have to put up with the pop ups. Unless you mean the time taking away from you by making you look at the popups as some sort of payment to the site?
Maybe you confused me with the OP! I was in the camp that a little popup was a small price to pay for what Geoff provides.

If by free you mean we don't pay anything, then sure, you are right. But the advertisers pay on our behalf, and then it's expected that we at least view them when they popup in return. I've definitely clicked through when something interesting popups!

So I guess we "pay" for the site in terms of receiving popups and banner ads and at least not blocking them. I say again, I'm happy to do it. Although I do wish there would be a popup for *another* movie every once in awhile!
Old 01-14-04, 12:36 PM
Needs to provide a working email

And if an ad is so intrusive and offensive that it doesn't intice ANYONE to buy the product and, in fact, if that type of ads become standard could and will lead to people stopping using the site, how is that helping ANYONE, including Geoff and his sponsors? If this were a lesser site, I WOULD have already stopped using it altogether because of those types of ads.
Old 01-14-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
And if an ad is so intrusive and offensive that it doesn't intice ANYONE to buy the product and, in fact, if that type of ads become standard could and will lead to people stopping using the site, how is that helping ANYONE, including Geoff and his sponsors? If this were a lesser site, I WOULD have already stopped using it altogether because of those types of ads.
Well I only get the ad once a day. After I click close it never comes back until the next day when I go to DVD talk the first time. So I really don't know what to say about why people are getting it all the time. Once a day doesn't bother me.
Old 01-14-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I just wish that I didn't have sound.
Old 01-14-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm full of hate...
Old 01-14-04, 02:49 PM
Registered

FVJ pop up ends this evening. I've had a long discussion with the agency who placed those ads about the issues and feedback

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.