Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

is Fist Of The Red Dragon, Heroes Among Heroes?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if the upcoming CTS Fist Of The Red Dragon is actually Heroes Among Heroes? Also is this version going to be Cut & Dubbed? (I assume so since the title has been changed)
Old 01-14-04, 10:32 AM

Holy crap, I wasn't aware of this release and I'm not happy. Columbia-Tristar is becoming the next Miramax. They were so good before I don't know what happened to them. They don't care about their movies anymore.

To answer your question, yes, it's Heroes Among Heroes. I have the World Video release, which I assume is uncut, and the length is exactly 90 and 35 seconds. The running time for the CTS release is listed as 91 minutes, so I'm guessing the movie is the same, but with the CTS logo at the beginning. The movie's dubbed in English and French. This is very strange: the movie can also be bought on VHS with Korean dubbing and English subs, and that version is 98 minutes. I'm guessing a bunch of trailers before the feature.

If you want to see it, find the World Video release. Even though it's very hard to find, you do the the Cantonese track. If you respect Hong Kong movies, you'll try to avoid this relese.

The movie's pretty good and deserves better treatment than Columbia's given it.

3 years ago, CTS was my favorite studio because they made decent DVDs, no matter how much money the movie made in theatres, and they released Asian flicks (and all other foreign flicks, for that matter) uncut with original language and very good subs. CTS better not screw up with Returner in February or I'm losing all respect for them.

Last edited by pat00139; 02-01-04 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-14-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the info. I thought Returner was an Anime when I first seen the cover, I guess i'll have to check it out. CTS has also just announced The Vampire Effect (which is really The Twins Effect) They are exploiting Jackie Chan's small part by having him listed as the star.
Old 02-01-04, 11:40 AM

Holy crap I was tired when I wrote the other message. Couple of very bad mistakes... anyway...

Okay, I can explain The Twins Effect's renaming, not that I agree with it. If you know Hong Kong pop at all you know the two girls from the movie are the Twins and are incredibly popular. They're not known at all in the US, so hence The Vampire Effect. Playing up Jackie Chan's part is an unclassy thing to do but it's nothing new. I've seen so many movies where they said 'Starring Dude McMan' and they were only there for five minutes. Mr. Chan's Rumble in Hong Kong (or Police Woman) was like that. It's one of his early movies where he played a bad guy whom you only see at the end. Jean-Claude Van Damme, Brad Bitt, Ethan Hawke, Ekin Cheng, Chow Yun-Fat, I've seen all these actors star in movies that they've only been in for a few seconds (quite literally in Mr.Cheng's case).

In any case, if you want the Twins Effect on DVD, get the HK version. It's R0, has a DTS track and a second disk. (Although 2 disks sounds more impressive than it actually is considering the 2nd disk only has 17 minutes of extras on it.) It's also about 20 minutes longer. The movie is cute and goes by pretty quickly so there's no reason to cut it down 20 MINUTES! I don't like CTS now.

I really liked Returner. It's an action flick that could easily be made into an anime or comic book. I bought the Japanese LE a year ago (well... 10 months ago), payed a fortune for it and don't regret it one bit. It's going to be MUCH better than CTS's DVD. Based on CTS's website, the DVD'll have a few extras but nothing like the R2 2-disker. It's also not going to have a DTS track cool packaging. Like I said before, if CTS screws up with this one, I'll lose all respect for them.

Last edited by pat00139; 02-01-04 at 11:49 AM.