Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

HELP! Netzero Users and Online Gaming Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP! Netzero Users and Online Gaming Questions

I am using Netzero as my ISP. I just got the PS2 network adapter. I tried connecting, but it says authentication failed. My user and password and phone number dialed is all correct. I connect onto the internet from my computer with no problem, but if I want to play Madden or anything else online, I can't connect through the modem. However, I did get a local dial-up service I have to work. It shocks me that a local service can get connected, but a bigger name like Netzero can't. Does anyone have a solution?

Netzero charges $2 per min for tech support, and I'm afraid they are not going to be much help.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't netzero have it's own dialer program? if so then that's the reason. Last i checked they had their own dialer like aol that needed to load it's own browser and ad engine
Old 01-14-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I had this problem with the Dreamcast and MSN. MSN, like Netzero, uses a proprietary dialer. I would google about to find a way around it.

With MSN it was as simple as putting MSN/ in front of my username and it worked like a charm. After I discovered that I even removed all the MSN dial-up software and just used a dial-up connection with the MSN/ to log on.

I'm sure somone out there has figured some way around it.
Old 01-14-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you are right. I have to connect on my comp using Netzero's software....can't using "dial-up" networking. I'll search google. Thanks.
Old 01-14-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't netzero requires you to use their own special software to access the internet? why not just use a low-cost dial up provider?
Old 01-14-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if i recall correctly a long time ago that when you put your password in the program at netzero it didn't actually send the password that you picked for your account, it would send an encrypted password that is different. Such as if your password was "netzero" the program would use an algorithm that would mean that the n stood for s the e for 4 and so on. So the password sent would be somthing like s49@kq. or something. Look online, i remember finding a list of the way it did it so that you could figure out your real password. I used it on dreamcast and got it to work briefly with netzero