Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gargoyles Release - Q4 2004

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gargoyles Release - Q4 2004

Found this info on ToonZone.com.

Gargoyles will be getting a DVD release this year in the fourth quarter according to the creator of the show, Greg Weisman. He has a Q&A page at a site called Section 8.

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/response.html

received from 209.240.222.132 on Sunday, March 31, 2002 03:44:55 AM
tribe writes...
i have only one real important question...and that is, when will the entire gargoyles series (season 1,2&3) finally be available to purchase on DVD. and i'm hoping it's packed with extra goodies like possible drawing outtakes, behind the scenes, animation reels and much, much more?!?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg responds...

Season One is supposed to be released sometime in the fourth quarter of 2004. My guess is that other seasons will ONLY get a release if the sales on Season One merit that release.

recorded on 01-12-04
Old 01-14-04, 08:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. That is SO awesome. I loved that show. Excellent voice cast all around and the back story they had for the characters was so involved. It made for some really interesting and intelligent stories. This is great news.
Old 01-14-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Season set?
Old 01-15-04, 04:32 AM

YEP!
Old 01-15-04, 09:24 AM

News like this almost makes it worth getting up in the morning hours...
Old 01-15-04, 09:36 AM

Was there some kind of overhaul of the Gargoyles animation/writing team after the first one or two seasons? I watch this show on the toon network and I've noticed that the quality of the later episodes is much worse than the earlier ones.
Old 01-15-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by lucasorion
Was there some kind of overhaul of the Gargoyles animation/writing team after the first one or two seasons? I watch this show on the toon network and I've noticed that the quality of the later episodes is much worse than the earlier ones.
You're thinking of The Goliath Chronicles which was mostly crap. I often wonder what the execs at Disney were thinking when they decided to drop the signature quality standards of the series like that.

Also, whatever happened to the live action pseudo-prequel that Roland Emmerich was to direct/co-produce?

EDITED TO ADD:
As far as I'm concerned the only true canon is the 66 episodes of the series running from "Awakening, Part One" through "The Journey". As many of you know, I don't like to consider the other twelve episodes of Goliath Chronicles to be canon, let alone whatever other stories got published by Marvel or Disney Adventures Digest or whatever.
I'm glad to see I've been safe to ignore The Goliath Chronicles and merely think of it as a what if of sorts.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-15-04 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-15-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Goliath Chronicles are pretty good once you accept the art and go with the stories. I loved the final episode. One of the few final episodes of a series that is worthy of being a final epside. Good closure.
Old 01-15-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by resinrats
The Goliath Chronicles are pretty good once you accept the art and go with the stories. I loved the final episode. One of the few final episodes of a series that is worthy of being a final epside. Good closure.
I was almost able to do this and did watch quite a bit of The Goliath Chronicles but then I caught a few rerunsof the first two seasons of the show and it immediately brought back to mind why it was so hard to get into The Goliath Chronicles in the first place.

Anyhoo, how did the final episode conclude (don't think I saw it)? Spoilers please, for the sake of those who don't wish to know.
Old 01-15-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll pee in pants when this comes out.
Old 01-15-04, 04:07 PM

Whose pants? )
Old 01-15-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And here I am joking about another's grammar in a different thread. Yummy crow!
Old 01-22-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Nierfacon
Whose pants? )
I think he means to pee on Pants.

I sure hope somebody can warn Pants in time.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-22-04 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I submitted the following questions to the site.

RocShemp writes...
I looked into the FAQ as much as possible so as to avoid asking questions you've clearly asnwered before. That said, I have a few questions regarding the future release of season sets of Gargoyles on DVD:

1) Will Greg have any direct participation with the DVD release (perhaps record an audio commentary and/or participate in documentaries)?

2) The FAQ helped answer my questions about the sound mix and program length differences between the Heroes Awaken "movie" and 5-part story arc. But I would like to know the following:

a. Will both versions of Heroes Awaken be appear on the DVD (perhaps via seamless branching or on separate discs) or will the "movie" version not be included on the DVD set?

b. Which sound mix ("movie" or series) would be used if only the series version Heroes Awaken will be available on the set? Or would sound mix be created to mix and match the best elements of either sound mix?

3) Will the series be presented in its original 2.0 mix or a brand new 5.1 mix? If a 5.1 mix, will it simply be a remastered version of the old 2.0 mix upconverted to 5.1 or will brand new sound elements (gunfire, explosions, ambient sound, etc.) be used with the original dialog and music to create a 5.1 mix relatively from scratch?
Hope I get some answers.
Old 01-22-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About the ending..

Spoiler:
Xanatos became loyal to Goliath after Goliath saved his baby. Xanatos rescues them they were cornered. Goliath and Eliza (was that her name?) become lovers. She kisses him before the sun rose. I haven't watched this show in a while so it might not be totally accurate.

One of best cartoon show ever. The wolf pack was cool. I think the last season had them traveling on that boat, that was really exciting. This is good news for Gargoyles fans.
Old 01-22-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't what you put in spoilers happen in season 2, not The Goliath Chronicles? Oh and the Avalon World tour (boat trip) was the bulk of season 2. Lot's of fun in that season (and the first).

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-22-04 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-22-04, 08:59 AM

There is a thread in the Bargains section for the Amazon pre-order which you can find here.

"At the opening ceremonies of The Gathering, Greg Weisman announced that the Gargoyles first season two-disc DVD set will be released on December 7, 2004 for a retail price of $29.99. The episodes will be unedited. The audio commentary is for the Awakening multi-parter only, and includes comments by Greg Weisman, Frank Paur and Keith David. The DVD will also include the original show pitch by Greg Weisman and a documentary of the Gathering convention. Toon Disney and ABC Family are labeled as the distributors, which means they should also be promoting the DVD on their respective stations. Greg Weisman will announce further efforts to organize fans to spread the word and perhaps select a day for everyone to buy the discs from Amazon. An Amazon page for its sale is already up (thanks to Julio Rodriguez for finding the link). A separate pre-order page is now up at Amazon [Battle Beast]."

http://crossroads.dragonmists.org/fa...ntral/gnc.html

Greg Weisman:

"I'VE JUST BEEN INFORMED THAT DISNEY IS SENDING A VIDEO CREW TO THE GATHERING OF THE GARGOYLES, OUR ANNUAL CONVENTION, TO TAPE THE FANS, GUESTS, EVENTS, ETC. FOR THE EXTRAS SECTION OF THE DVD.

THAT MEANS IF YOU ATTEND THE CONVENTION THIS AUGUST 6-8 IN MONTREAL, YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO ACTUALLY BE ON THE DVD. LET THAT SINK IN FOR A SECOND."

http://www.gatheringofthegargoyles.com/

anybody go?

Last edited by minguy; 08-22-04 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-22-04, 09:49 AM
Banned

Oh damn, I got beat gettin' this news out. Saw this news over at animatedbliss.com last night.

But anyway, I never followed this program, but I did catch an episode from time to time. And from what I remember, the animation was pretty good. Better than Batman: TAS, if I dare say so.

So I take it the continuity in the story-telling was pretty good from reading some of the reviews up on Amazon.com?

I would have never thought of ever picking this title/series up, but with all the praise it's getting, I just may. I could use some more classic animation to go next to my Batman: TAS and any future 'toons I get.

Also, after reading some reviews, I decided to go to pazsaz.com and check out the episode listings. 13 episodes for the first season. Fifty-two for the second! Can we say two 26-episode volumes for Season 2? Kind of the reverse from Beast Wars (26 for First Season, 13 each for Season 2 & 3.)

And so you're saying that the 3rd Season "Goliath Chronicles" wasn't all that good? Animation different? Voice-cast different? So was this the Galactica 1980 for the Gargoyles series?
Old 08-22-04, 10:36 AM

I've never heard of this animated show, or at least I don't think so. I'm a big fan of anime and Disney animation, so this could be interesting.

Is it a show for kids, or does it appeal to "grownups" as well?
Old 08-24-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
But anyway, I never followed this program, but I did catch an episode from time to time. And from what I remember, the animation was pretty good. Better than Batman: TAS, if I dare say so.

So I take it the continuity in the story-telling was pretty good from reading some of the reviews up on Amazon.com?

I vehemently disagree that the animation was better on gargoyles than on Batman TAS. Batman TAS was far superior when it came to animation.

That said, I love Gargoyles and am thrilled it is finally coming to dvd. The continuity of the stories is fantastic, as you heard already, and their take on old myths and tales is quite charming. I love the voice casting, but that's at least in part to the large number of star trek tng cast members used. My favorite storylines usually encompassed 3 or more episodes, so catching them in syndication has been less than satisfying (no ability to see the entire story).

Be warned that some stuff is quite silly, and they tend to reuse plot devices and phrases a lot, but the stories are worth it, imo. I remember seeing a gargoyles drinking game once online - drink every time a star trek actor speaks...too funny - you'll be hammered in a half hour )

So long as they keep the price point so nice and low, I have no problem with splitting season 2 in half. I just hope they don't wait too long to release it!
Old 08-24-04, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
I vehemently disagree that the animation was better on gargoyles than on Batman TAS. Batman TAS was far superior when it came to animation.
Well going on what I saw in the Batman: TAS, Vol. 1 set, I wasn't too impressed. But I did notice the animation tended to get better the further along the set went. I also viewed the "drawing on black paper" method as something that was hard to get used to. Which is why I said I thought the animation in Gargoyles was better. Although, without seeing Gargoyles again new I really couldn't tell you for sure. However, I just remembered, Gargoyles is showing now on Toon Disney as I speak. Gonna check it out. Commercial right now...

Yep, I guess you're right. The animation in Batman: TAS does look a bit better in certain ways.

That said, I love Gargoyles and am thrilled it is finally coming to dvd. The continuity of the stories is fantastic, as you heard already, and their take on old myths and tales is quite charming. I love the voice casting, but that's at least in part to the large number of star trek tng cast members used. My favorite storylines usually encompassed 3 or more episodes, so catching them in syndication has been less than satisfying (no ability to see the entire story).
Yep, the episode "Legion" I'm watching now has Michael Dorn in it.

Be warned that some stuff is quite silly, and they tend to reuse plot devices and phrases a lot, but the stories are worth it, imo. I remember seeing a gargoyles drinking game once online - drink every time a star trek actor speaks...too funny - you'll be hammered in a half hour )
I can imagine. Just heard Jonathan Frakes' voice.

So long as they keep the price point so nice and low, I have no problem with splitting season 2 in half. I just hope they don't wait too long to release it!
Well considering that the 2nd season had 52 episodes in it, they'll have to split it up into two 26-episode deals I bet.

Hey, while I'm here, I seem to remember a cartoon where they were mummies and stuff inside this pyramid type thing, was there such an episode in Gargoyles?
Old 10-12-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I haven't seen any Gargoyles for about a year. Here are some of the plot points of the final epsisode (Goliath Chronicles and end of whole series).:
Spoiler:

The Quarymen trick the Gargoyles into contstruction site and trap them there until dawn when the turn to stone. They then set off explosives, collapsing the building on top of them. Angela & Bronx were the only ones not in the building but she frooze nearby. Of course, the quarymen hyped up the media that the Gargoyles had destroyed the building. Angela was taken into custody.

News media hype up the 'crimes of the gargoyles' and the anti-gargoyle feeling reach a new height. McBeth is one of the few that does defend the gargoyles in a TV interview but he is a small minority.

Elisa is upset over the death of her friends and isn't even allowed to see Angela & Bronx since she is labled a 'gargoyle lover'. She goes to Xanatos to see if he can help with Angela and finds the Gargoyles in Xanatos' tower. Xanatos had heard of the Quarymen's trap and had a special extra added to the contruction site. As soon as the sun rose, the section the Gargoyles were on moved into a bunker area and fake gargoyle statues was put where the real gargoyles had been. So the real ones were safe when the fake statures got shattered.

Xanatos tells the Gargoyles that since the world thinks they are dead, they can start over fresh somewhere else. Goliath says that besides needing to save Angela & Bronx, the gargoyles will always strive to be accepted.

Later Angela is being sent by train to some upstate facility and the Quarymen decide to attack the train to kill the final gargoyle. The train also has a lot of passender cars attatched to it. The Quarymen attack using rocket packs. They end up get taking over the train and knocking out the guards. I can't remember exactly how but the upcomming bridge was either blown up out of service and the train's brakes were destroyed (it did make sense when watching it but I can't remember how).

Anyways, the Gargoyles show up and fight the quarymen. They defeat them and realize they now have to save all the passengers. Brooklyn shows his leadership skills here (Goliath is fighing the leader of the Quarymen). They disconnect the engine and take the querymen's rocket packs, stick them into the train cars facing the reverse direction and fire them up. The trust slows and stops the train right before it goes over the edge.

Because there was a TV crew on the train (going to film Angela & Bronx's fate) the world now can see that the Gargoyles were fighting on the side of good and have saved a whole train of people. (everyone on the train that hated the gargoyles before now knows they are good and is cheering them) The mayor of NY says that all charges against the Gargoyles are dropped and how an effort to accept the gargoyles will not take place. Goliath has a good voice-over of how it has taken 1000 years but gargoyles have a new place in the world.

So it does have pretty good closure for the series and you are not left wondering if they are forever not accepted and threatened. Since they are now accepted, you know that their lives will be better. Having watched these characters for over a hundred epsidoes, you do want them to be fine.
Old 10-12-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could have sworn I pre-ordered this but I don't recall from where or when I placed or if I placed this. Question being does anyone remember a good deal on a pre-order for this? Just so I have someplace to check.