Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The one-and-only RIAA news/discussion thread [2004]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The one-and-only RIAA news/discussion thread [2004]

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder if the RIAA will mention this...

UK album sales 'reach new high'

Album sales in the UK rose by 7.6% in 2003 to a record high, fuelled by falling CD prices - in spite of piracy fears, according to an industry report.

Almost 121 million artist albums, which exclude compilations, were sold - according to Official UK Charts Company figures quoted in Music Week magazine.

Dido had the year's best-selling album with Life For Rent, followed by Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera.

In the singles market, the Black Eyed Peas had the biggest seller of 2003.

But there was no good news for the singles market as overall sales continued to slide, with a drop of nearly 30%.

Top five albums of 2003
1. Dido - Life For Rent
2. Justin Timberlake - Justified
3. Christina Aguilera - Stripped
4. Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta Get Thru This
5. Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

Feature: Why are sales rising?

Black Eyed Peas sold 625,000 copies of the Where is the Love?, which stayed at number one for six weeks.

Their follow-up track Shut Up shifted 222,000 to make them the biggest selling artists of the year in terms of single sales.

But their overall sales of 848,000 units pales next to Will Young's tally of 2,520,000 singles sold in 2002.

Gareth Gates' charity record Spirit in the Sky featuring TV's The Kumars was the second biggest selling single, while R Kelly's dance hit Ignition Remix was third.

And of the top 200 singles of the year, 26 of them came from winners, runners-up or losers of reality TV talent shows, including David Sneddon, the Cheeky Girls and Girls Aloud.

Dido's second album, Life For Rent, has sold 2.1 million since its release in September, making the singer the biggest-selling album artist of the year, having won the title in 2001 thanks to her debut No Angel.

The second biggest-selling album artists were the Red Hot Chili Peppers, with their two albums, By the Way and Greatest Hits, followed by Busted.

Michael Jackson's legal worries have not prevented him shifting albums, with his Number Ones release, along with his back catalogue, making him the fourth best-selling album artist of 2003.

Album sales overall rose by 10 million units to 159.3 million, but the trend towards cut-price CDs means that profits have not risen.

Supermarkets and online retailers have helped push prices down to under £10.

The Official Charts Company also tracked airplay of singles, with Room 4 featuring Oliver Cheatham with Make Luv top with 57,186 plays on TV and radio.

This was followed by Justin Timberlake's Rock Your Body and Beyonce Knowles' Crazy in Love.
On the OTHER hand...
US album sales continue to fall

The slump in US music sales continued in 2003, but there were signs of an upturn towards the end of the year, according to industry statistics.

CD sales fell by 2.1% to 636 million last year - compared with a decline of 8.7% in 2002, says Nielsen SoundScan.

But positive signs came in the last three months of 2003 when CD sales were up 5.6% up on the same period in 2002.

Rapper 50 Cent, jazz star Norah Jones and rock band Linkin Park were the best-selling artists of 2003 in the US.

The country has endured three years of falling sales, which has been blamed on increased internet piracy and home copying.

Online success

In a break-down of 2003's figures, sales of new CDs dipped 1% compared with the previous year.

Demand for catalogue albums, which have been on release for longer and often give record companies higher profit margins, was down 7%.

Among the good news was that music video sales were up 79% and customers also bought more alternative, jazz and Latin albums than they did in 2002.

The year has also seen success for legitimate download services like Apple's iTunes, which sold 25 million songs over the internet in the eight months since it launched.

Universal Music Group, home to artists including 50 Cent, Eminem, Limp Bizkit and Nickelback, was the biggest record company with 28% of total sales.

Meanwhile, Hip-hop group OutKast returned to the top of the US album chart to end 2003 at number one more than three months after their album was released.

The two-CD album, titled Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, has now sold 3.1 million copies in the US.

They also continued to dominate the singles chart, with two singles staying in the top two places on the Hot 100.

Hey Ya! has been number one for a month while their song The Way You Move, featuring Sleepy Brown, stayed at two.
Old 01-13-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

fat chance.
Old 01-13-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/07/news-sullivan.php

Probably won't talk much about that one either.
Old 01-21-04, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RIAA files another lot of lawsuits.....

link:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nloading_music

i wonder how many 85 year old grandmothers were caught in this net?
Old 01-21-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sucks for them. I get so confused though --- what does it mean that they "made the music available?" Doesn't anyone who downloads stuff from like Kazaa "make it available" since it's in their "downloaded" folder?

Do they go after people who downloaded 800 songs, on average as they say, or just the people who spread the wealth?

Also, if these people are still downloading --- what the hell is wrong with them?
Old 01-21-04, 02:25 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Toad
Sucks for them. I get so confused though --- what does it mean that they "made the music available?" Doesn't anyone who downloads stuff from like Kazaa "make it available" since it's in their "downloaded" folder?
Not if they instantly move it to a different folder.
Old 01-21-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
You also have a choice in the options to allow sharing or not.
Old 01-21-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, if these people are still downloading --- what the hell is wrong with them?
I'm no longer downloading. I'm also no longer buying CD's.
Old 01-22-04, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I'm no longer downloading. I'm also no longer buying CD's.
YES!!!! (Clap Clap Clap)

Boycott buying thier CD's, as well as trading thier music. This is the way to go to get the message across to those pigs in the RIAA. I think everyone should do this. If nobody is sharing thier music, and sales still keep falling, which they will, they will no longer have illegal downloads to blame for thier own short comings. Thay will have to do what they have been trying to avoid all along, blame themselves.
Old 01-22-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I am no longer downloading, crappy quality songs just did not cut it for me. I am only buying stuff from smaller artist that really require my money to survvive. I am still on the fence for the Cure box set, if it were a complete rarities collection I would buy, but as is I am unsure (but I will since this is the main reason I downloaded, stuff that was not available). I do and will continue to buy used though, as the RIAA will receive squat and I will get legal music in CD quality.
Old 04-19-04, 12:18 AM

RIAA and YOU

Hi, I'm trying to write a lengthy research paper/article about the recording industry for my english 102 class and am currently having a hard time getting over writers block. I was wondering if I could ask you guys about your opinions on what RIAA is currently doing to people (i.e. suing individuals, strong arming ISP's, the law) and whether or not you justify what is being done and what you believe should be done. I probably won't use everybody's input but if you do, post please let me know if it's alright to use your input. I think it'd be a cool idea to implement a poll into my essay too but I'm not quite sure what to ask yet, any input on that would be much loved also,
Thanks,
Ricky

P.S.-It's late, I'm sick, don't flame me
Old 04-19-04, 01:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
On the one hand, the RIAA is in a terrible position because downloading has revolutionized the industry and they weren't ready for it. What they're doing now is too little, too late. And, in some cases (the suing), it's just wrongheaded.

On the other hand, the RIAA and the labels they represent have been largely responsible for screwing artists out of money they should be getting, and otherwise stacking things so the labels get the most benefit and the artists get the least. Also, they're heavily responsible for why we hear the same five songs on the radio all the time.

So, right now, the RIAA has shown itself to be stupid and increasingly useless.
Old 04-19-04, 03:19 AM
Cool New Member

it would be an entirely different story if the RIAA and MPAA were trying to use legitimate means towards their objectives. But they're not. they're acting like all the shady ass business practices of the day and using a campaign of disinformation, including shady monetary contributions and hirings of politicians so they try and sneak things into bills before they pass through congress, such as giving both the RIAA and MPAA an exclusion from antitrust laws.
I feel that the RIAA doesn't represent the industry. and instead of moving forward with technology and taking the opportunity to advance the industry, they've chosen to be a dinosaur.
this just in -- both industries survived the vcr and audio casette tape
Old 04-19-04, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YAY! I always wanted to do other peoples homework.
Old 04-19-04, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do a search for RIAA, downloading, etc threads in Music Talk and you'll find a cornucopia of viewpoints.
Old 04-19-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the RIAA should give me a refund on all the albums I upgraded from cassette or record to CD over the years.