Search this Thread

Old 01-12-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Survivor All-Stars cast revealed

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor8/index.shtml
Chapera Tribe
TOM (Season 3: Africa)
The boorish goat farmer STRATEGY: Select strong allies and baffle your enemies with your wacky elephant impression STRENGTHS: His goofball persona could be a welcome oasis in a vast desert of self-important speechifying. WEAKNESS: Small annoyances add up. He needs to bathe, stop ogling and, at least occasionally, shut up. BOTTOM LINE: He may last a while but seems likely to fall out of contention late. ODDS: 12-1
SUSAN (Season 1: Pulau Tiga)
The hardheaded Wisconsin truck driver STRATEGY: Speak your mind. What’s the worst they can do, leave you to die of thirst with no regrets? STRENGTHS: Midwestern women who honk horns for a living are not to be trifled with. WEAKNESS: If she can’t check her famous volatility, expect a short stay. And police sirens. BOTTOM LINE: Barring personality clashes, she’s a viable player. ODDS: 3-1
ROB M. (Season 4: Marquesas)
The unctuous sleaze STRATEGY: Finesse is for sissies. Just act like you’re in charge and people might believe you. STRENGTHS: Unapologetically cribs from "The Godfather." Hey, threats worked for the Corleones! WEAKNESS: Ensnaring himself. It takes a compass to follow his convoluted web of phony loyalties. BOTTOM LINE: Others are equally slippery and less obnoxious. ODDS: 12-1
ROB C. (Season 6: The Amazon)
The basement-dwelling ham STRATEGY: Scheme and plot. Scheme and plot. Then, for a change of pace, plot and scheme. STRENGTHS: Has an offbeat, pesky-little-brother appeal and a whiplash-inducing affinity for leaping alliances. WEAKNESS: If he bleats "You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’" again, he’ll be out after about three bars. BOTTOM LINE: He’s a strategist who learns from experience. Keep an eye out—he’s our early favorite. ODDS: 3-2
AMBER (Season 2: Outback)
Jerri’s kid STRATEGY: Stick like glue to the most despised person in your tribe. Repeat until eliminated. STRENGTHS: Give us a minute. We’re thinking. WEAKNESS: See strategy. BOTTOM LINE: Even if she lasted, she’d have no endgame. ODDS: 50-1
ALICIA (Season 2: Outback)
The personal trainer with the fab abs STRATEGY: Work hard and hope a meritocracy breaks out. STRENGTHS: Provoke her and she’ll come out fighting. Nobody’s safe from that in-your-face finger wave. WEAKNESS: She doesn’t suffer fools gladly. Considering the company she’ll be keeping, that could be a problem. BOTTOM LINE: She’s a sleeper to watch. ODDS: 2-1

Saboga Tribe
ETHAN (Season 3: Africa, winner)
The heartthrob soccer player STRATEGY: Flog everyone with charm until they beg for mercy. STRENGTHS: A lack of conspicuous flaws. WEAKNESS: The unassuming nice-guy routine loses steam once you’ve crashed the celebrity-dating circuit. BOTTOM LINE: A real force, but the others may not want to hand him any more than he already has. ODDS: 5-1
JENNA L. (Season 1: Pulau Tiga)
STRATEGY: Be nice! No one votes out a nice person! It’s not a game about treachery and betrayal or anything! STRENGTHS: The cuteness factor can disguise some stealthy plotting. Who’d ever suspect the Queen of Perk? WEAKNESS: Relentless cheerfulness gets old really, really fast. BOTTOM LINE: She’s got charm, but has she got a plan? ODDS: 8-1
JERRI (Season 2: Outback)
The self-styled iconic bitch STRATEGY: Inspire simmering, tooth-grinding hatred. Hey, you’ve heard of reverse psychology, right? STRENGTHS: She’s fearless. Remember, she even survived Corey Feldman’s wedding on The Surreal Life. WEAKNESS: Big biceps and Texas twangs. If Colby can bewitch, bother and bewilder her again, she’s toast. BOTTOM LINE: It is possible to be too unlikable to win. ODDS: 40-1
RUDY (Season 1: Pulau Tiga)
STRATEGY: The grouchy former Navy SEAL STRENGTHS: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. But not in a homosexual way. WEAKNESS: The good thing about outspoken old goats is that you always know where you stand with them. BOTTOM LINE: You know that uncle you’re ready to strangle by the end of Thanksgiving dinner? Yeah, that’s him. ODDS: 7-2
RUPERT (Season 7: Pearl Islands)
Everybody’s slightly psychotic big brother STRATEGY: Reassure your tribe mates that ruthless, scavenging pirates can still have soft, mushy hearts. STRENGTHS: It’s hard not to love the guy who brings home the fish— especially when it’s eat fish or eat tree bark. WEAKNESS: Taking the game too personally. It’s not all about avenging high school slights. BOTTOM LINE: His strong survival skills would have to overcome a weak mental game. ODDS: 6-1
TINA (Season 2: Outback, winner)
The nurturing nurse STRATEGY: Befriend a loyal and virtuous hottie, and try not to make anyone hate you too much. STRENGTHS: Come on. Kicking her out would be like banishing your mom. WEAKNESS: Well…kicking her out would be like banishing your mom. BOTTOM LINE:. Her status as a previous winner could make her a target for early dismissal. ODDS: 10-1

Mogo Mogo Tribe
COLBY (Season 2: Outback)
The hunky mama’s boy STRATEGY: Monopolize immunity challenges until people start to forget they’re allowed to vote for you. STRENGTHS: He does what he says, says what he thinks and thinks for himself. Sincerity—the sneakiest scam of all. WEAKNESS: The right mother figure can wrap him around her ankles like it’s the first day of preschool. BOTTOM LINE: If he doesn’t intimidate the others as a physical threat, he’s a strong contender. ODDS: 9-5
JENNA M. (Season 6: The Amazon, winner)
The catty swimsuit model STRATEGY: Divert the men of your tribe with public sponge baths. STRENGTHS: Confidence. She’s unburdened by the doubts that plague ordinary, ugly people. WEAKNESS: Contempt for older, non-"cute" women. Wait till Susan Hawk hears about that! BOTTOM LINE: Will anyone really let her win again? ODDS: 10-1
KATHY (Season 4: Marquesas)
The take-charge artist and doting mom STRATEGY: Go all-out for your tribe. Yes, that includes urinating on a teammate’s hand in a medical emergency. STRENGTHS: Targeted diplomacy. She avoids petty conflicts by offering strategic sops to her rivals. WEAKNESS: She’s got a pushy streak, which won’t wash with this swarm of type-A personalities. BOTTOM LINE: She seems unlikely to form the bonds it takes to come out on top. ODDS: 5-2
LEX (Season 3: Africa)
The creepy control freak STRATEGY: Flash those crazy eyes like you’re about to snap. There’s no substitute for inspiring stark terror. STRENGTHS: Nutty? Maybe. But he’s not too cracked to assemble a powerful alliance and hold it together. WEAKNESS: An itchy trigger finger. His temper can drive him to strike first and ask questions later. BOTTOM LINE: He’s a skilled player with a strong personality, making it a tough call. ODDS: 20-1
RICHARD (Season 1: Pulau Tiga, winner)
The frequently naked corporate trainer STRATEGY: Create an alliance. Stick to it. Shut up about it. Deceptively simple, no? STRENGTHS: He pioneered the alliance strategy. Only a fool would underestimate the original Weasel King WEAKNESS: He pioneered the alliance strategy. Now every poseur with a pulse knows the secret. BOTTOM LINE: They should toss him early—but then, they should’ve last time, too. ODDS: 17-1
SHII ANN (Season 5: Thailand)
The self-titled "Shii Devil" STRATEGY: Enemies are enemies. Why sugarcoat it? STRENGTHS: She’ll do anything, say anything and eat anything—screw you! WEAKNESS: Thin-skinned, which is bizarre for an unrepentant troublemaker. BOTTOM LINE: Ultimately, her controversial personality is a lot to overcome. ODDS: 25-1

Last edited by Dubya; 01-12-04 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-12-04, 09:08 AM

Wow.. very heavily weighted to the first 3 shows:

4 contestants - Pulau Tiga
5 contestants - Australia
4 contestants - Africa

2 contestants - Marquesas
2 contestants - Amazon
1 contestant - Thailand
1 contestant - Pearl Islands

Furthermore, we have (only) 4 previous winners, 2 people who didn't even make the jury (Rob M., Shii Ann), and NO Jonny Fairplay (yes!).

Looking forward to this!
Old 01-12-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't understand why they didn't promo these guys in their recent ads for the show.

Anyway, like everyone else probably feels, no one wants to see Shii Ann, and everyone wants to see Johnny Fairplay. I hate to be harsh, but I'm guessing there's some quota action going on, cause there be a lot of White people there.

das
Old 01-12-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

only one looker in the group they should have put Juggs in just for some eye candy
Old 01-12-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Don't understand why they didn't promo these guys in their recent ads for the show.
For whatever reason CBS always has a set date to reveal the cast and this one happened to coincide with the new issue of TV Guide (which has a cover story on the new cast and is where I got the odds info for my first post).
Old 01-12-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

Anyway, like everyone else probably feels, no one wants to see Shii Ann, and everyone wants to see Johnny Fairplay. I hate to be harsh, but I'm guessing there's some quota action going on, cause there be a lot of White people there.

das

No doubt about it. I can barely remember Shii Ann. How can they not invite Johnny Fairplay?

Also, I can't believe Jugs I, II, nor III was not invited.
Old 01-12-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the reason Johnny Fairplay was not invited was that he started to make an impression midway through the show (when Ruppert got voted out) and by that point the show had likely been cast. The producers could tell right away that Ruppert was going to be memorable. I would have loved to have seen a tribe of Richard, Susan, Rob C, Rob M, and Johnny Fairplay.
Old 01-12-04, 09:43 AM

Well, I guess I'll be the only one rooting for Shii Ann then. She got screwed by the non-merge in Thailand and I hope she goes far here.
Old 01-12-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I want to see Boston Rob's Godfather strategy work.

And I want to see all the previous winners voted out right away, starting w/ Richard, then Tina and so on...
Old 01-12-04, 10:06 AM

Tina, Ethan and Jenna can go early. I find Richard entertaining enough that I wouldn't mind him sticking around or even winning again.
Old 01-12-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Yes, it'll be hard for all previous winners to stick around for long.
Old 01-12-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How come Elizabeth from season 2 is not there? She's one of my all time favorite Survivors. They picked Amber to be in the All-Star instead of Elizabeth. Bleh!!
Old 01-12-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I can't believe they are picking at shithead Rob as the early favorite. Everyone watched the show and knows he can't be trusted.
Old 01-12-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mookiemeister
How come Elizabeth from season 2 is not there? She's one of my all time favorite Survivors. They picked Amber to be in the All-Star instead of Elizabeth. Bleh!!
She just got one of the seats on "The View" so she most likely turned it down.
Old 01-12-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mookiemeister

Probably because she is already having a successful career on television now yenta-ing it up on The View.
Old 01-12-04, 10:58 AM

Shithead Rob? I don't know if you mean Cesternino or Mariano, but they both rock. Provided a good portion of the entertainment for their respective seasons.
Old 01-12-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Darq
Wow.. very heavily weighted to the first 3 shows:

4 contestants - Pulau Tiga
5 contestants - Australia
4 contestants - Africa

2 contestants - Marquesas
2 contestants - Amazon
1 contestant - Thailand
1 contestant - Pearl Islands
That would probably be because most of the contestants in the last 4 sucked and weren't fun to watch.

Shii Ann got picked because they needed someone from that season and they couldn't get Brian. The rest of the people in that season were garbage.

The only person I'd like to see involved that isn't would be Mike from S2. He would be a much better choice than Amber. I"m betting he turned it down though.

I'm definitely pulling for Rob C. That guy rules.
Old 01-12-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Australia Mike (who got a raw deal), Elizabeth, Jonny Fairplay, Brian and Ted would have been better than Shi Ann, Amber and Alicia, but it's still a good batch, if not the dream cast (can't speak for Africa, didn't watch)

Like everyone I'm eagerly anticipating the performances by the Robs but no one is talking about Kathy: She rules! She was one of our favorite players and we're glad to see her on the there. Plus, they're overexposed but Colby/Jerri should be great.
Old 01-12-04, 11:42 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Rumored Final 2 according to survivornews.net ( a very reliable source )

Spoiler:
Final 2 : Amber and Rob.M ( probable winner )

Rupert finishes 4th and Jenna L. in 3rd

Jenna M. will leave the game during the 3rd episode because her mother passed away from cancer around that time
Old 01-12-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
Australia Mike (who got a raw deal), Elizabeth, Jonny Fairplay, Brian and Ted would have been better than Shi Ann, Amber and Alicia, but it's still a good batch, if not the dream cast (can't speak for Africa, didn't watch)
Why Ted? Did he have any strategy? The only thing he is remembered for is the Ghandia thing.
Old 01-12-04, 12:08 PM

I just had a thought (wow!):

In the last reunion special, Jonny Fairplay said "Maybe my grandfather will die for Survivor All-Stars" -- leaving me to guess that he was on the All-Star cast. Apparently he's not.

What if Burnett ends up bringing in fresh new players (including Jon) midway through the season (a la the Outcast tribe)? I wouldn't put it past him!

Just wanted to post this so i could refer to it later on if i'm right
Old 01-12-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks good.

What was that guys name who was always sharpening his machete?
Old 01-12-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by saoirse
Looks good.

What was that guys name who was always sharpening his machete?

Matt - he was runner-up to Jenna.
Old 01-12-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Matt, who finished 2nd in Amazon?
Old 01-12-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't wait.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.