Reload this Page >

He-Man (1983) on Cartoon Network?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-11-04, 02:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone I work with told me the other day that she saw a commercial on Cartoon Network advertising the original He-Man series coming to Cartoon Network. Has anyone else seen this? I have heard nothing and seen nothing as well.
Old 01-11-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's nothing on their website about it. I'm not sure why they would run OLD He-Man episodes against their NEW series; unless it was some late night deal.
Old 01-11-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
perhaps they realize how crappy the NEW one is..?
Old 01-11-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Rogue588
perhaps they realize how crappy the NEW one is..?
I tried watching it a few times for old times sake but it sucked too much
just like the new transformers
Old 01-11-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new He-Man show is fantastic! The animation is so much better than the original.... and the production company brought back some of the original writers to do episodes. I speak mainly of Larry DiTillio who's episodes excelled over the others.

CN isn't showing the old show. Just the new.

Now that Transformers new show... yes... sucks.
Old 01-11-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like the original He-Man show had any sort of redeeming qualities. It was just another low rent, 30-minute, 1980's toy commercial!

Now Thundercats... that was a cartoon!
Old 01-11-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by cheapskate

Like the original He-Man show had any sort of redeeming qualities. It was just another low rent, 30-minute, 1980's toy commercial!

Now Thundercats... that was a cartoon!

Perhaps I didn't see it, but I really don't think of early-mid 80s cartoons as being toy commercials. IMO that trend of developing cartoons for the sole purpose of selling toys started in the late 80s-early 90s.

AND...He-Man, like GI Joe, always took the time out at the end of the episode for a little moral lesson. Can the Thundercats say the same..?
Old 01-11-04, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588

Perhaps I didn't see it, but I really don't think of early-mid 80s cartoons as being toy commercials. IMO that trend of developing cartoons for the sole purpose of selling toys started in the late 80s-early 90s.

AND...He-Man, like GI Joe, always took the time out at the end of the episode for a little moral lesson. Can the Thundercats say the same..?
You do know that He-Man is still on of the lowest budgeted cartoon to have ever been produced? A few episodes were actually made by scrapping footage from previous shows.
We may be suffering from nostalgia when we talk about the original He-Man, but let's face it, the show was lacking in quality.
And yes, it was nothing more than a 30 minute commercial.
Old 01-11-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God, looking at those old cartoons, I wonder how I grew up normal. The story sucked. Might as well put a flashing color screen infront of me and it would have entertained me as much. Watching He-man originals now, I wonder how I didn't turn out being gay. don't get me started on the other series.
Old 01-12-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nightwing82
The new He-Man show is fantastic! The animation is so much better than the original.... and the production company brought back some of the original writers to do episodes. I speak mainly of Larry DiTillio who's episodes excelled over the others.
I agree with you 100%. The new show is fantastic. Too bad that it hasn't been picked up for a 3rd season yet. The last new episode may have been the absolute last.

As for the original; I doubt you will ever see it on TV (or DVD). Sounds like the rights are in legal hell, and Mattel screwed up on the new toyline so much that it put the future of He-Man in jeopardy.
Old 01-12-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
As for the original; I doubt you will ever see it on TV (or DVD).
Domestically, maybe, but there are already DVD releases overseas.
Old 01-12-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
Domestically, maybe, but there are already DVD releases overseas.
Yes. Should have specified. In AMERICA, I doubt we'll ever see it.

Adam, I'd be intersted to hear your thoughts on the new show.
Old 01-12-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always hated the "30 minute commercial" label people gave cartoons of the 80's. So what there was a product tie-in. Going by this theroy, Star Wars, Spiderman, Hulk, and Lord of the Rings were not movies, they were commercials to get people to by the figures, Happy Meals, shirts and anything else you find in stores.

If the cartoon shows were just commericals, then the marketing people were retarded. In the origonal MOTU, why feature Orko in every episode? Just how many Orkos do kids want to buy? Mattel didn't even have an Orko out in the first few waves. When they did put one out, there was just one plain old Orko, surly there was room for resulpts. The attack-track looked nothing like the toy, why would a kid want to get a toy if the show wasn't even accurate. Considering the amount of figures there were, the show always seemed to have the exact same characters in it with maybe an extra one now and then.

Transformers also got the label. For being such a major character, Ironhide looked nothing like his toy. The show almost never showed features that the toy had. Prime's trailer base got 2 appearances in 100 shows. I never saw the Contructicons with the Devestator pieces as weapons in their vehicle modes like the toys could. What a gyp!
Old 01-12-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
Adam, I'd be intersted to hear your thoughts on the new show.
Believe it or not, I've never watched it.
Old 01-12-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think all of the classic He-Man was a moving toy commercial.

There were a lot of great episodes for both He-Man and She-Ra that really stand out and are very entertaining. And even for using a lot of stock animation (She-Ra used less as she got a bigger budget), they still made some very enjoyable episodes. Not to mention excellent voice acting from such people as Linda Gary (Sorceress, Teela), Melendy Britt (She-Ra), and Alan Oppenheimer (Skeletor, Man-At-Arms)... And excellent episodes penned by Larry DiTillio, Bob Forward, and J. Michael Straczynski.

Filmation would have 'product placement' in the shows but I can't really recall episodes that were specifically produced to sell a certain toy like they did with the new show (like episodes... Mystery of Anwat Gar, Of Machines and Men, To Walk With Dragons...)