Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Closing Orlando Animation Studio

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short sighted, in my opinion, but that's just me.

-------------

http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20...n10366236.html

Disney Set to Close Animation Studio

Saturday January 10, 4:55 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The Walt Disney Co. is expected to close a feature-animation studio in Orlando, Florida, on Monday, jeopardizing the jobs of nearly 260 animators, the Orlando Sentinel said.

Some artists will be transferred to Burbank, California, where Disney's corporate headquarters is located, but most of the employees, whose credits include the films "Brother Bear" and "Lilo & Stitch," are expected to lose their jobs, the paper said on Saturday.

Disney was a pioneer in hand-drawn animation, producing classic movies such as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," "Cinderella" and "Fantasia."

In recent years, however, computer-generated animation has become increasingly popular as evidenced by movies like 2003's "Finding Nemo," made by Pixar Animation Studios.

The underwater adventure was the top-grossing theatrical release in the United States last year, generating about $340 million.

Disney distributed "Finding Nemo" and has a contract with the Emeryville, California-based company that expires at the end of next year.

No one at Disney headquarters was available to comment.

©2003 Reuters Limited.
Old 01-10-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's really sad that Disney believes its the hand-drawn animation that's been the cause of the lackluster returns for their latest cartoon films.

Maybe if they had tried making better stories that harked back to their best days (30's-60's) or even the revitalized period between '89 and '94, they wouldn't be in the trouble they are nowadays. How many people honestly wanted to see or liked the following films?

Pocahontas
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan
Atlantis
Treasure Planet
Old 01-10-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked Mulan and Tarzan.... but your point is valid.
Old 01-10-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the exception of Tarzan.
Old 01-10-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As an side note, some of the animators who lost their jobs have formed the new Legacy Animation Studio to carry on the 2-D animation style - click on the link below to check out their website. Once you hit enter you can click on "press" to read their press release on what they hope to do in the near future. I really wish them the best of luck as I dont think 2-D type animation is dead, its just that the last few features suffered from bad story telling. here ya go... http://www.legacyanimation.net/
Old 01-10-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
re: Disney Closing Orlando Animation Studio

****in' Eisner.
Old 01-10-04, 11:02 PM

Hercules, Mulan, and Pocahontas are the best of that generation.

Lion King
Aladdin
Hercules
Mulan
Pocahontas
Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast

They out do all their recent attempts, and are [at least in my opinion] better than their earlier ones..higher animation quality...better stories
Old 01-10-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And this is the facility that gave them their most recent significant hit Lilo & Stitch--in no small part due to its distance from the corporate HQ.

Disney's decline continues.
Old 01-10-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I really hope Legacy animation comes out witha blockbuster film. That really put a black eye on Eisner's Disney.
Old 01-11-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by NitroJMS
It's really sad that Disney believes its the hand-drawn animation that's been the cause of the lackluster returns for their latest cartoon films.

Maybe if they had tried making better stories that harked back to their best days (30's-60's) or even the revitalized period between '89 and '94, they wouldn't be in the trouble they are nowadays. How many people honestly wanted to see or liked the following films?

Pocahontas
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan
Atlantis
Treasure Planet
I had no interest in Atlantis or Treasure Planet, but when i actually did see them they were marvelous.
Old 01-11-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I liked lilo and stitch. saw the studios and it's a sad thing it's closing.
Old 01-11-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They somehow don't make the connection that Nemo worked because it focused on an excellent story on not on how to best time the McDondald's tie in?

Nemo could have been drawn in crayon on line paper and still have rocked.
Old 01-11-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Disney Closing Orlando Animation Studio

Originally posted by Seeker
In recent years, however, computer-generated animation has become increasingly popular as evidenced by movies like 2003's "Finding Nemo," made by Pixar Animation Studios.

The underwater adventure was the top-grossing theatrical release in the United States last year, generating about $340 million.
That's because Pixar does everything in their power to make sure every moment of their films is wonderful. Just watch the commentaries and documentaries they include on their EXCELLENT DVDs. You can tell right off the bat how much everyone cares about their films and how much work they put into them. They spend YEARS on the story before they even get to work on the actaul animation.

It has nothing to do with the animation style. Look at how well their films do in early previews, when most, if not all of the film is still in STORYBOARD format!
Old 01-11-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
They somehow don't make the connection that Nemo worked because it focused on an excellent story on not on how to best time the McDondald's tie in?

Nemo could have been drawn in crayon on line paper and still have rocked.
That just reminded me of a very funny version of Romeo & Juliet located here The animation is total crap, but the dialogue had my dying.

And I enjoyed Tarzan a lot, along with The Emperor's New Groove.

This is sad indeed, let's just hope some other studio picks them up and they make the greatest animated film ever.
Old 01-11-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think its time for someone to assasinate Eisner. Just bust into the studio, his bodyguards wont even care, press a Beretta against his temple and paint the meeting room wall.
Old 01-11-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Just another reason to hate Eisner!

Would someone please thaw Walt out already!?
Old 01-11-04, 10:52 AM

this is very short sighted.......... I thing Disney will probably bring back 2D again, although I imagine putting an animation studio back together again is tough.
Old 01-11-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is that the building with the seven dwarves built into the pillars and pallisades of the structure?
Old 01-11-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I love The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, The Emperor's New Groove, and Lilo & Stitch. They might not all be 4-star classics, but each of them is an absolute pleasure. I'm echoing a constantly-reiterated sentiment, but Disney really needs to focus on story and storytelling, not technology.

And lose the DTV sequels. Nobody ever has said "Cinderella II changed my life!"
Old 01-11-04, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
is that the building with the seven dwarves built into the pillars and pallisades of the structure?
No, that's Eisner's castle, in Burbank CA.
Old 01-11-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
I love The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, The Emperor's New Groove, and Lilo & Stitch. They might not all be 4-star classics, but each of them is an absolute pleasure. I'm echoing a constantly-reiterated sentiment, but Disney really needs to focus on story and storytelling, not technology.

And lose the DTV sequels. Nobody ever has said "Cinderella II changed my life!"

Are they working on anything right now? I remember seeing them work on Lilo and Stitch around 98' or so. Or did they just cancel all existing projects place it on Eisners desk let him crap on it and decide to skip the original and just head straight to the sequel.
Old 01-11-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by tanman

Are they working on anything right now? I remember seeing them work on Lilo and Stitch around 98' or so. Or did they just cancel all existing projects place it on Eisners desk let him crap on it and decide to skip the original and just head straight to the sequel.
From what I understand, there are no traditional 2D-animated projects in pre-production, save for television and DTV offerings.
Old 01-11-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, and Atlantis quite a bit- not as much as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King, but they are still good movies and Pocahontas has grown on me in the last several years.
I haven't seen Treasure Planet, but when I get around to it I wouldn't be surprised if I liked it.

I prefer the 2D work...if the stories and the extras on the dvds were equal.
Old 01-11-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
I think its time for someone to assasinate Eisner. Just bust into the studio, his bodyguards wont even care, press a Beretta against his temple and paint the meeting room wall.
As forshadowed in Dogma.

but..
Tarzan is brilliantly animated. Great storytelling, and has wonderful songs by Phil Collins. This one is up there in my book and I will never understand the negativity towards it.
Old 01-12-04, 02:33 PM
Banned

I hope Disney also closes Orlando Bloom. His only talent is in staring into the camera and slowly tilting his head.