Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best version of Dersu Uzala?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard some bad things about the Kino and Spectrum releases, so are there any other alternatives?
Old 01-13-04, 10:58 AM

Dunno about other releases but Korea has a pretty nifty 3-disk set.

If you're not sure and you can wait, I'm sure Criterion will pick that movie up eventually.
Old 01-13-04, 12:19 PM

If you're not sure and you can wait, I'm sure Criterion will pick that movie up eventually.
Doubtful since Kino holds the rights.

I've heard some bad things about the Kino and Spectrum releases, so are there any other alternatives?
The Korean release has both the Ruscico and Image transfers, so you get both of them. Neither is perfect but the Korean set is the way to go since you get both transfers.
Old 01-14-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 186 Likes on 153 Posts
The Korean release has both the Ruscico and Image transfers, so you get both of them. Neither is perfect but the Korean set is the way to go since you get both transfers.
If that is literally true, I would NOT recommend getting the Korean DVD. Ruscico's NTSC transfers are PAL to NTSC conversion: it is always best to get their PAL originals (or Artificial Eye version thereof, where applicable).

Unless I am missing something the Korean DVD would be NTSC, and if they used Ruscico's transfer, than it is a PAL to NTSC conversion.

Ted
Old 01-14-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Truffaut Fan
Doubtful since Kino holds the rights.

Plus you get both cuts of the film, the theatrical and the international cut. I found the 2-disc Russico transfer (despite being anamorphic) to be almost unwatchable due to extreme frame flickering (like in silent films) that's in the transfer. Also the US cut has much better subs...
Old 01-15-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a screenshot comparison:

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/dersuuzala.htm

My opinion? There's no 'great' version out there right now. I've got the Kino and I'll live with that until someone puts out a significantly better version. It's definitely watchable, although nothing to write home about.
Old 02-12-04, 09:40 PM

ok, is the Kino version exactly the same as the Disc 3 on the Spectrum release? dvdbeaver lists the Kino disc as 2:23 running time and Spectrum disc 3 as 2:21. I'm conflicted on which one to get. I can get the R3 for a few bucks cheaper than the kino version. which one should I go with?

and the same for Come and See. should I go with the Spectrum version or the single disc Kino R1
Old 02-13-04, 05:21 PM

the korean set may have a Pal/ntsc conversion of the Rusciso, but if you buy the Ruscico version here in the US, that's what you get as well. The question remains which does it better, or is it really worth tracking down the PAL version of the Ruscico.
Old 02-14-04, 01:39 AM

which one is the kino disc though? the american cut or the original version?
Old 02-17-04, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the info.