Beatles DVD Spotlights First U.S. Visit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Billboard.com

www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2064906

A new DVD due next month will commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' initial trip to the U.S. "The Beatles First U.S. Visit" will be released Feb. 3 in the U.S. on Apple Corps/EMI, and Feb. 9 internationally.

The DVD, which includes footage previously unseen by the public, was lensed by Albert and David Maysles, who had all-areas access to the band as its plane touched down in New York Feb. 7, 1964, and during the ensuing two-week tour of the country at the height of Beatlemania.

The Maysles brothers captured behind-the-scenes moments of the band in dressing rooms, hotels and nightclubs, at press conferences, in limos and on trains, and such footage. Also included is the group's first concert at the Washington Coliseum in Washington, D.C., and its three performances on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

Songs on the DVD include "All My Loving," "Till There Was You," "She Loves You," "From Me to You," "This Boy," "Twist and Shout," "Please Please Me," "I Saw Her Standing There," "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand." The 80-minute documentary is also accompanied by a 50-minute making-of feature that includes an interview with Albert Maysles.

As previously reported, the Beatles' "Ed Sullivan Show" performances were compiled on a separate DVD released in October by Sofa Home Entertainment.

-- Troy Carpenter, N.Y.
Old 01-08-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, Amazon will have it for $21.23
Old 01-30-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This DVD is on sale next week at Best Buy for $14.99. I already have the initial release (now OOP), but will probably pick up this version as well, as it has more goodies and is probably worth it at that price. Besides, I'm a Beatles nut!

K
Old 01-30-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cornelius1047
This DVD is on sale next week at Best Buy for $14.99. I already have the initial release (now OOP), but will probably pick up this version as well, as it has more goodies and is probably worth it at that price. Besides, I'm a Beatles nut!

K
Cool - I will have to make a trip to Best Buy for this. I'm a Beatles nut too as they were the best band ever- oh so many great hit songs. This will compliment the Anthology and Hard Days Night that I already have and love.
Old 01-31-04, 07:41 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This film is already available on DVD on The Beatles: The Ultimate DVD Collection, MPI Home Video/Apple (2000). This 4-disc collection also includes: Help (1965, colour, Dolby Stereo, 4:3), Magical Mystery Tour (1967) and You Can't Do That! The Making of A Hard Day's Night (1994, hosted by Phil Collins)

How the "making of" film never made it on the "Hard Day's Night" DVD, I'll never know. How more people don't know about this 4-disc set is also a mystery to me. I'm sure it's not just available in Canada

Last edited by baracine; 01-31-04 at 07:48 AM.