Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ichi the Killer Trailer - Yikes!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came across this trailer for a Japanese movie called 'Ichi the Killer' which I know nothing about.

All I can say after watching it is

Caution....it's pretty graphic.

Ichi the Killer Trailer
Old 01-08-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to last year.

Go to HkFlix.com and buy the DVD. It's not all that bad. A very good, gruesome film. There is also an anime of it.
Old 01-08-04, 04:32 PM

Yeah, it's graphic, but not a very good film. However, I seem to be one of the only fans of Asian cinema that doesn't appreciate the works of Takeshi Miike
Old 01-08-04, 04:32 PM

Heh, there's something you can't unlearn . . . all that's left is checking out the movie itself, or Audition, or Visitor Q, or any Takashi Miike films. Like nothing you've seen before. And I don't say that about many filmmakers.
Old 01-08-04, 04:34 PM

This movie disappointed me, considering all the hype. Gory and twisted, yes. A good movie, no.
Old 01-08-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Trailer for the Ichi anime is at Hong Kong Legends (I really wanna see that one)
They also got an alternative trailer for the live-action film which I like a whole lot better.
Old 01-08-04, 05:47 PM
Banned

I rented Ichi this weekend and was let down also, I was expecting so much more from this film. The gore was great, if that's your thing, but I found the story lacking.
Old 01-08-04, 05:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I still think Ichi The Killer is Takashi Miike's best film (I haven't seen every one, but I've got every DVD of his that's available with English subtitles, which still doesn't even make up a quarter of all the films he's made). The ending is very open ended, but I think it works perfectly with what came before. Ichi, to me, is the poster child of new Japanese cinema.

Also, it's got a soundtrack by The Boredoms! Does it get any better than this? I think not.
Old 01-08-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Keyser_Soze2
Yeah, it's graphic, but not a very good film. However, I seem to be one of the only fans of Asian cinema that doesn't appreciate the works of Takeshi Miike

Didn't like the ending to dead or alive I see...

Ichi.. yeah, it's pretty graphic.
Old 01-08-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Ichi wasn't that bad, the movie was better than expected, the gore was a bit of a let down. Won't be watching it again.

Be sure to avoid the weak R-rated version.
Old 01-08-04, 10:49 PM

I enjoyed the movie. It's actually pretty funny, in a sick and perverse way. I'm not really a fan of gore, but this movie just worked for me. The ending takes more than one watch to figure out though.
Old 01-08-04, 10:51 PM

Ichi is a shock film. Nothing more. I think a lot of people went in expecting something that would make them think. It's not meant for that.
Old 01-09-04, 12:14 AM
MrN

Actually you're not - I was speaking to a Japanese friend of mine and she was saying how he's not that big in Japan and most of his films are straight-to-video.

That said, I think Miike's Audition is excellent.
Old 01-09-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a bad movie... I tried watching it and it was not interesting at all. Guess I just didnt get it. I took it back to the rental store and told them it wouldnt work in my player and got a credit and another movie to rent.
Old 01-09-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its availible in region 1 also uncut as well.
Old 01-09-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If he's the guy that made Audition, I will 100% join you on this cause.
Old 01-09-04, 04:03 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by MrN
Actually you're not - I was speaking to a Japanese friend of mine and she was saying how he's not that big in Japan and most of his films are straight-to-video.

That said, I think Miike's Audition is excellent.
Did she mention that most of his films are straight to video because he makes about 15 per year? I know that The Happiness Of The Katakuris, at least, was released as a big Christmas film.

Meanwhile, I'm anxiously awaiting the copy of Agitator, a book on Miike's films, that I ordered several days ago.
Old 01-09-04, 06:41 PM

15 per year? How much work can actually go into these? oh.. that's why we need the gore...
Old 01-09-04, 07:28 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Vegas9203
15 per year? How much work can actually go into these? oh.. that's why we need the gore...
Rainer Werner Fassbinder made several films per year in his lifetime, and no one is claiming they lack in quality. Miike is just an active guy. Not every one of his films is filled with gore. Ichi The Killer is, but it's also based on a manga that I can only presume also had a lot of gore. Why bash him? He's a very productive, very distinctive filmmaker who does different things with his movies. Would you rather he make fifteen films just like Cheaper By The Dozen?
Old 01-09-04, 09:14 PM

I havn't seen the movie (and probably won't) but the guy on the movie's banner that pops up on this forum looks like a clown. Is he supposed to be scary or intimidating? Every time I see that picture it makes me laugh.
Old 01-09-04, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Rainer Werner Fassbinder made several films per year in his lifetime, and no one is claiming they lack in quality. Miike is just an active guy. Not every one of his films is filled with gore. Ichi The Killer is, but it's also based on a manga that I can only presume also had a lot of gore. Why bash him? He's a very productive, very distinctive filmmaker who does different things with his movies. Would you rather he make fifteen films just like Cheaper By The Dozen?
Didn't mean to come off as bashing, the gore comment just wrote itself.

Seriously, there's got to be a bunch of junk though. So he's completing films in less than a month on average? It just strikes me as odd. I've never heard of this Fassbinder, so I can't comment, and I haven't seen Cheaper by the dozen either.

The real question is, if he'd been charged with LOTR, would he have finished it in 3 months?
Old 01-09-04, 11:59 PM
MrN

15 is a very big exaggeration - he actually does about 6 a year and most of it is straight to video or made for TV.

Its great that he's so productive, but not all of his films have 'worked' for me. So, IMO (like some others apparently), some of the films are definitely straight-to-video quality.

Fassbinder BTW also did a lot of TV work in his most productive years - but even he averaged only 3 a year.
Old 01-10-04, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Vegas9203
I've never heard of this Fassbinder, so I can't comment,
OK, end of discussion.
Old 12-27-06, 03:59 PM

Good Lord, this was a gruesome movie! Extremely drippy, intestinal, and arterial!

Was it based on a graphic novel?
Old 12-27-06, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by orderandlaw
Good Lord, this was a gruesome movie! Extremely drippy, intestinal, and arterial!
That's beautiful!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.