Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robert Duvall: 'I'll never work at DreamWorks again' (cnn.com)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 01:57 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

In a CBS "60 Minutes II" interview set for broadcast Wednesday, the Oscar-winning performer sharply criticized filmmaker and DreamWorks SKG studio co-founder Steven Spielberg for visiting Cuba in November 2002.

"Spielberg went down there recently and said, 'The best seven hours I ever spent was actually with Fidel Castro.' Now, what I want to ask him, ... 'Would you consider building a little annex on the Holocaust museum, or at least across the street, to honor the dead Cubans that Castro killed.' That's very presumptuous of him to go there," Duvall told Charlie Rose, according to excerpts of the interview released by CBS.

The actor, who won an Academy Award for his role in the 1983 film "Tender Mercies," added, "I'll never work at DreamWorks again, but I don't care about working there anyway."
Old 01-08-04, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh no!! dreamworks is finished!!!
Old 01-08-04, 02:29 PM

No Duvall = No civil war movies for dreamworks
Old 01-08-04, 02:31 PM
Banned

Hmm..I can see where Duvall is coming from. Spielberg is a nut.
Old 01-08-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
My aunt's husband was good friends with Castro - he had some major communist ties. I have no opinion, myself, but I was told that he's a "nice, fun guy"... whatever the hell that means. What's funny is that my grandfather (my aunt's husband's father-in-law) was friends with Dwight Eisenhower.
No biggie, just a funny little connection.
Old 01-08-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
Hmm..I can see where Duvall is coming from.
I was just going to say that.
Old 01-08-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I don't have a problem with this. He's just putting out his views like the Dixie Chicks, Tim Robbins, Babs Striesand, et al.
Old 01-08-04, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by slop101
My aunt's husband was good friends with Castro - he had some major communist ties. I have no opinion, myself, but I was told that he's a "nice, fun guy"... whatever the hell that means. What's funny is that my grandfather (my aunt's husband's father-in-law) was friends with Dwight Eisenhower.
No biggie, just a funny little connection.
I had an old high school friend whose father used to write letters back and forth with Castro - they didn't talk politics, they talked things like fishing and stuff like that...he too (the father) said Castro seemed like a hell of a nice guy. Weird, huh?
Old 01-08-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Since the US has been demonizing Castro for over 40 years, the fact that he might have actual human traits does surprise a lot of people.

Last edited by Jaymole; 01-08-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-08-04, 03:57 PM
Banned

Duvall needs to get a life.
Old 01-08-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I once heard Barbra Walters during her Fidel interview some time ago say that he was a real nice fellow and an excellent cook as well. Who knows haha. Isn't Duvall getting up there in age? Maybe cenality is kicking in?
Old 01-08-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
Hmmm...

HOLLYWOOD -- Robert Duvall loves Canada, especially Calgary's cowboy country, but he never wants to shoot another movie in the Great White North if he can avoid it.

"I'd rather work in my own country," the feisty 72-year-old Duvall told The Toronto Sun yesterday.

Duvall also once again slagged the talent pool of Canadian actors hired for support roles for "runaway" Hollywood films.

"Well," Duvall drawled, "some of them weren't very good," he said of the Canadians who worked with him on Kevin Costner's epic western Open Range.

"Some of them were pretty bad. The guy who played in the candy store was excellent, but ... "

Duvall said many of the other Canadians had a problem fitting in with the Americans (although Costner has had nothing but public praise for them).

"They came in with attitudes, too," Duvall said, "and I wasn't the only one who thought that, yeah." Open Range, which was shot in Alberta in 2002, is being released on Friday.

"I like working in Calgary. People said I didn't but that's not true."

He feels less welcome in Toronto, where he shot John Q in 2001 with Denzel Washington.

"I find a lot of people in Toronto don't like us up there."

Duvall also waded into Canadian politics, citing an unnamed Alberta cowboy he met who is now moving to Texas to escape the Canadian legal system "because, if someone breaks in your house and you shoot them, they put you in jail. Am I right? That's lunacy.
A tremendous actor albeit of the redneck variety.
Old 01-08-04, 04:55 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Oddly enough, Duvall is also a huge fan of Brazil - samba, soccer, the whole bit. Kinda throws a wrench into the redneck stereotype a little.
Old 01-08-04, 04:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My aunt's husband was good friends with Castro - he had some major communist ties.
Interesting. I have some Jerry Garcia ties myself. Very jaunty.
Old 01-08-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the A&E Biography of Robert Duvall and he's off his rocker. His kinda cenile and spends all of his time learning how to dance with his 30 year old wife.
Old 01-08-04, 10:37 PM

I think Duvall has just hit that ornery old coot stage where he'll start spouting off and not give a **** about it because he's so close to death. Whether the comments stem from a need for attention, senility, or just that general pissed off old man attitude a la Connery, I cannot say.

I never realized he was also such a puffed up conservative blowhard.
Old 01-08-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's a huge fan of Argentina and the tango, never heard him mention Brazil, and wouldnt you be dancing all the time if you were as old as him and had a 30 year old wife?
Old 01-08-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Robert Duvall is a fine actor who has delighted me for years with his performances. He is way past the stage in both his career and his age where I am going to say anything about him so get down with your bad self Robert Duvall.
Old 01-08-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
If one more person misspells "senile", I get a free toaster.
Old 01-08-04, 11:11 PM
Banned

Castro - he had some major communist ties.

Gee, you think?
Old 01-09-04, 12:00 AM

Well, if he feels strongly enough about something to take a stand and not work for Dreamworks, then more power to him. His mistake is his thinking I give a crap about said opinion.

Actors telling me their political views (other than those, you know, in office) are like politicians giving movie reviews... I couldn't care less what either group has to say about the other (and that goes double for politicans who tell me what movies I shouldn't watch!)
Old 01-09-04, 12:07 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just read this morning how Duvall was more or less pissed at Coppolla about his salary for Godfather III and so opted out.

And Rivero, I think you may have misunderstood and misquoted. (Unless you're going for a Groucho-style post.)
Old 01-09-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I absolutely understand where Robert Duval is coming from. I dont understand why many of you are acting like this is his fault. He feels that Castro is not a person that should be looked at as an innocent old man running "his Cuba".

I ask you this- What if Hitler was still alive and Peter Jackson went to Germany, spent sometime, and sad that Hitler was indeed a nice person to chat with? Because that's where Castro belongs- in the same group as Stalin, Hitler, Lenin, Augusto Pinochet, Milosevic....PERIOD!! I see Duval's point 100%.

With that said I have a great respect for him both as an actor and as a person!!!
Old 01-09-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Ergyu
I once heard Barbra Walters during her Fidel interview some time ago say that he was a real nice fellow and an excellent cook as well. Who knows haha. Isn't Duvall getting up there in age? Maybe cenality is kicking in?
So was Hitler....he was a great music lover. Wagner being his favorite composer. But I am sure you knew that.......
Old 01-09-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This coming from the guy who called Stanley Kubrick a "hack."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.