Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Bad Review for LOTR.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-08-04, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOTR came up in topic at work the other day. One of the girls I work with chimed in that she would never see ROTK cause Fellowship and Towers were the worst movies she ever saw, her entire review of this film boiled down to this one sentence.

"All they ever do is walk from place to place, I mean how freaking boring is that?"

She's lucky she's pretty, when your pretty most people seem to think you don't have to say anything intelligent.

Oh, Im sorry, she also added...

"What's the big deal, I mean it's just a ring."
Old 01-08-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Just a ring? Is she married? If so, tell her husband to hock her wedding ring, because it's 'just a ring' ; )

One of the 'Local Idiot Boys' FM radio morning shows was talking about TTT when it came out, and the guys on it also said FotR was one of the worst movies they've seen. Why? 'It's so LOOOOONG.' Oh, and 'The guy's feet, I mean, that's all you have to see, is their disgusting huge hairy feet, and that's enough for me.' Um, okay. [Disclaimer: I normally do not listen to FM morning shows, I think their main purpose is to reduce the IQ of the listeners, because it doesn't seem like the host's IQs can be reduced any more.]
Old 01-08-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its true......

wont see a movie with people that have weird looking feet
Old 01-08-04, 11:56 AM

the question is whould you date a girl with big hairy feet?
Old 01-08-04, 01:35 PM
Retired

Re: Another Bad Review for LOTR.

Originally posted by rushmore223

"All they ever do is walk from place to place, I mean how freaking boring is that?"
I actually heard that gripe from quite a few people about FOTR. "All they do is walk from place to place, have a fight, and walk some more."

I guess it's true to an extent, but I still quite enjoyed the movie as I liked the dialog and character development that was going on while they were "walking."
Old 01-08-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Moral of this story: Don't ever take a woman to a theater who can't chew gum and watch a movie at the same time.

I bet she loves A MAN APART...an Academy Award there. Oh yes. Oh yes indeed.
Old 01-08-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Interesting that the "one ring with the power to control everything and enslave its wearer" looks remarkably like a wedding band.
Old 01-09-04, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Interesting that the "one ring with the power to control everything and enslave its wearer" looks remarkably like a wedding band.
OMIGOD! Why didnt I ever think of that!

Might have been helpful before I got married

Perhaps Tolkein was just really scared of marriage, maybe it wasnt an allegory of War and Nuclear power like so many have speculated.

I think you hit on something there.

Notice the Fellowship is all guys, maybe Tolein just wanted to hang out with the guys, drink ale and smoke Old Cody. An occasional visit to Rivendell and Arwen was enough for him.
Old 01-09-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also work with a lady who said all three LOTR sucks.

Her logic?

"They're only epic because they are long and boring."

It should be noted she is a devoted 'Star Wars' nut who thinks 'The Phantom Menance' was a good film.
Old 01-09-04, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by LivingINClip
I also work with a lady who said all three LOTR sucks.

Her logic?

"They're only epic because they are long and boring."

It should be noted she is a devoted 'Star Wars' nut who thinks 'The Phantom Menance' was a good film.
Cant we all just learn to love both Star Wars and Lord of the Rings?

The world and the internet would be so much nicer a place, then we can all band together and hate the real enemy...

....The Matrix Trilogy
Old 01-09-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because it was modeled after a wedding band. The special features from FOTR EE told us that.
Old 01-09-04, 06:05 PM

Re: Another Bad Review for LOTR.

She's lucky she's pretty, when your pretty most people seem to think you don't have to say anything intelligent.
Pics?
Old 01-09-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cant we all just learn to love both Star Wars and Lord of the Rings?

The world and the internet would be so much nicer a place, then we can all band together and hate the real enemy...

....The Matrix Trilogy
Now now ... no bringing theology into this.
Old 01-12-04, 11:04 PM

Strange, that's the way I see it too..

A very long fetch quest

with tons of random battles

and lots of badly voice acted cut scenes

And with so much magic and power, it could have been done a lot more quicker..easier
Old 01-13-04, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by sararekuforever
Strange, that's the way I see it too..

A very long fetch quest

with tons of random battles

and lots of badly voice acted cut scenes

And with so much magic and power, it could have been done a lot more quicker..easier
Funny...that girls name is Sara too.

What was badly acted? I thought everyone gave such a great performance.
Old 01-13-04, 10:46 AM
Banned

Lynch him.
Old 01-13-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOTR's is like playing Final Fantasy. It's a long drawn out experience. Your all excited at the beginning. Then after a while you get sick of it. The cut scenes are cool but most of the basic gameplay just sucks. It takes all your will power to finish it. When your done you act like your the biggest fan if it ever just because everyone else is too.
Old 01-13-04, 12:40 PM

Correctly said, above poster, though I have been more excited by some FF stories..LOTR reminds me more of Final Fantasy III [Japanese NES]

The girl's name is Sarah

And my name is Areku

Sarah + Areku = Sarareku
Old 01-14-04, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Mopower
LOTR's is like playing Final Fantasy. It's a long drawn out experience. Your all excited at the beginning. Then after a while you get sick of it. The cut scenes are cool but most of the basic gameplay just sucks. It takes all your will power to finish it. When your done you act like your the biggest fan if it ever just because everyone else is too.
I loved these books 20 years ago...

I would have loved these movies just as much whether they found their audience or not, just because I loved the films, and others did too, does not mean I am a sheep or just following some sort of mob mentality. Perhaps millions of people have found something truley wonderful and your just angry that you dont get it.

By your reasoning, a film can only be great if it does not succeed at the box office?

I feel sorry that these films failed to touch you, it was the kind of experience you have at a movie, that makes you realize just why you loved the medium in the first place. Somehow you were robbed of this experience, oh well.

As for your comparison to a videogame that goes on and on and you have to struggle to finish it, then don't finish it, your just cheating yourself of the time that you could be doing something else. Forcing yourself to finish a game like it is a homework assignment simply because it is a popular game strikes me alot more as being a sheep and under the influence of the mob mentality.
Old 01-14-04, 01:25 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Mopower
Maybe it's that way for you. I loved every second of the movies and books.

And the final fantasy games I've played to the end I liked the whole way through, ones I didn't like (like VIII) I quit when I got bored.

No need to be elitist and imply that anyone that likes LOTR/FF is simply going with the crowd.
Old 01-15-04, 09:14 AM

i completely agree with rushmore, and ive never read the books (but they have inspired me to, i started on the hobbit a week ago.. cant wait to find out who this "tom bombadil" is, and dive deeper into the story).

as for the office bimbo's remarks.. perhaps she would prefer the fellowship to stay in the shire the whole trilogy where tens of thousands of orcs, goblins, dragons, wraiths, etc. come one battle after another, and after every victory the hobbits celebrate in their usual octoberfest fashion. and at the end of the trilogy frodo realizes you dont need to throw the ring into the fires of mt. doom, but in fact any fire will do, so he tosses the ring into the nearest bbq pit and then the credits roll.. maybe i should have adapted the story into script eh?

i think part of the movie's beauty is captured in the "long, pointless journey", the cinematography and landscape are amazing.. i think you have to aprreciate the distance the fellowship travels to understand the importance and hardship of the journey, and if that part bothers you, at least try and enjoy the beauty of the landscape if nothing more.
Old 01-15-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
exactly, willy. the landscape is one of the most breathtaking I have ever seen. certainly enhances the movie.
Old 01-16-04, 02:26 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel sorry that these films failed to touch you, it was the kind of experience you have at a movie, that makes you realize just why you loved the medium in the first place. Somehow you were robbed of this experience, oh well.
it really is an experience.
Old 01-20-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure that somehow that has to tie in with the flaming vagina sitting atop the mountain.