Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with leaving game discs in consoles when not in use?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-07-04, 02:24 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed in X-box game manuals, it warns against leaving discs in the console when not in use.

I don't see where this would hurt anything, and have always left whatever game I'm playing in my consoles.

Anyone ever have any problems with this or have any idea how it could cause a problem?
Old 01-07-04, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the biggest danger would be if you forget it is there and move the machine around. I usually leave the discs in the machines and haven't had any problems... yet
Old 01-07-04, 02:32 PM
Retired

Also, I've always left CDs in cd players for long periods of time with no problems, and to a lesser extent DVDs.

Don't see why game consoles would be any different.
Old 01-07-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm not sure--I do the same, usually [with my PS2.] The only thing I could think of is if your console isn't very stable, ie, likely to fall off the shelf or something, i guess conceivably the disk could break inside and get stuck or something.
Or an alternate hazard, which happened to me, and that I don't think Sony thought of--I have to drag my PS2 out onto the floor to play it, and sometimes i'll leave it there for a bit if I'm going to play again soon. Walked in the room the other day, and my 15-month old boy was standing on it.....That can't be good for it.
Old 01-07-04, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that the only danger is in the console moving or falling or whatever... the consoles where the disc locks onto a center spindle (PS1 or Gamecube) would be less of a hazard than the systems where the disc is floating in a tray.
Old 01-07-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
I leave them in there all the time as well. I hate taking a game to a friends house, and realizing I left it at home in the console

Happens way too much.
Old 01-07-04, 02:46 PM

I leave games in my GC all the time since it's on a spindle and puts me more at ease. I never ever do that with my PS2 games, to worried it might put a scratch on the disc.
Old 01-07-04, 02:46 PM
Retired

Originally posted by tomwaits
I agree that the only danger is in the console moving or falling or whatever... the consoles where the disc locks onto a center spindle (PS1 or Gamecube) would be less of a hazard than the systems where the disc is floating in a tray.
That makes sense. I'd just thought that one risc would be if you moved the console around the disc could get out of place and jam the door when you tried to open it. I had that happen a few times with my cd player door, but it didn't hurt anything, just had to push the disc out of the way with my finger.
Old 01-07-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always leave my games in the console. Its a botheration to take them out, and I like playing my games and not putting them on the shelf where they'll become a collection. I have had no problems.

Regarding moving a console, I moved my Gamecube around to and from my friends houses and a local college hang out (thanks to the conviently placed built in handle) and I just left the game in there when I moved it. Actually I forgot the disc was still in the system before I moved it but nothing bad ever happened
Old 01-07-04, 03:16 PM
Retired

Shouldn't be much of a risk with the GC as the games snap onto the spindle. Could cause a problem with the X-box or PS2 as the disk just sits in the tray.
Old 01-07-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've moved house with my ps2 having a game still in the tray (by mistake), but no problems fortunately. In general I wouldn't worry about leaving a disc in unless you plan to move the console. I would always leave the game I'm currently playing in the console.
Old 01-07-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its only a problem if you move the console around. I picked up my 6 disc Onkyo DVD player to move it and forgot it still had a few discs in it. Needless to say I had to get out the tools and take the player apart to get the discs out.

The discs will stay in the tray with a PS2 or Xbox, but they may move around and get scratched up.
Old 01-07-04, 07:25 PM

I wonder if it's a prob to leave carts plugged into the N64?
Old 01-07-04, 08:34 PM

No problem, you are supposed to leave them in. It prevents dust from getting inside the system (or so it says in the GBA Player manual, I would assume its the same for all cartridge based systems).
Old 01-07-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I currently have Mario KartD in the GC, Top Spin in the Xbox, and X-files: Season 7 disc 3 in the DVD player. All have been in there for a while. No damage.

I think it is just one of those clauses where some idiot sued over his own stupidity, now they have to print it in every manual.
Old 01-07-04, 09:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally posted by Galanthas
I leave games in my GC all the time since it's on a spindle and puts me more at ease. I never ever do that with my PS2 games, to worried it might put a scratch on the disc.
I'm always amazed at how worried some people are over scratches. I've had DVDs, CDs, and game discs scratched all to heck, and they always play fine.

Maybe I'm just lucky? But we're seriously talking thousands of discs here....
Old 01-08-04, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by Trevor
I'm always amazed at how worried some people are over scratches. I've had DVDs, CDs, and game discs scratched all to heck, and they always play fine.

Maybe I'm just lucky? But we're seriously talking thousands of discs here....
I have literally taken back games and DVD movies because of one tiny insignificant scratch heh. I'm very anal about that sort of thing. 99% of my disc based game collection is scratch free and look exactly like the first day I opened them. Now, if I could back up and play the back ups legally on the console I wouldn't care as much about scratches. I know one tiny scratch isn't gonna stop it from playing but I know the scratch is there and it bugs me. I noticed this behaviour got worse after I quit smoking last Januaray as well.
Old 01-08-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What's wrong with leaving game discs in consoles when not in use?

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I've noticed in X-box game manuals, it warns against leaving discs in the console when not in use.

I don't see where this would hurt anything, and have always left whatever game I'm playing in my consoles.

Anyone ever have any problems with this or have any idea how it could cause a problem?
I leave them in to avoid wear and tear on the drawer mechanism. No need constantly opening and closing, unless I am planning on moving the console.
Old 01-08-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I have a disc or cartridge in every console I've got hooked up currently (5 disc based, 2 cart based - not including GameBoys). My son is compelled to leave his new GBA SP without a cartridge in it and it drives me nuts.
Old 01-08-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the same reason Nintendo's game manuals tell you to take breaks every 3 minutes: to prevent lawsuits from idiots.
Old 01-08-04, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by dtcarson
The only thing I could think of is if your console isn't very stable, ie, likely to fall off the shelf or something, i guess conceivably the disk could break inside and get stuck or something.
Not very stable? It's an X-Box! The thing weighs 800 pounds and is as large as a coffee table. It's not moving anywhere without a forklift!
Old 01-08-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Not very stable? It's an X-Box! The thing weighs 800 pounds and is as large as a coffee table. It's not moving anywhere without a forklift!
j00 weaking!!

It's not that big.....

Old 01-08-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
Maybe if the thing dies on you it will be a pain to remove. You'll have to take it apart to get to it. I still have my GF Boom Box waiting for me to remove some CDs from it.