Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Whats up with all the silver tvs?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVERYTHING i own in my home theater is black; all the receivers, dvd player, cd player, speakers, surge protector, etc..

I wanted to buy a new tv but everystore I went to had only silver available! How ridiculous would it look to have a silver tv in a room full of black equipment?

Why the new trend?
Old 01-07-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Whats up with all the silver tvs?

Originally posted by namrufmot
EVERYTHING i own in my home theater is black; all the receivers, dvd player, cd player, speakers, surge protector, etc..

I wanted to buy a new tv but everystore I went to had only silver available! How ridiculous would it look to have a silver tv in a room full of black equipment?

Why the new trend?
Perhaps because things have been black for far too long.

Black shows the dust and dirt too easily. Black is boring. Personally I am happy with the change and hope it continues. Perhaps it is because I am old and still yearn for the days of the champagne colored Yamaha Receivers with the rosewood sides!
Old 01-07-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
In my upstairs HT, I have all black equipment, a black audio stand, black TV stand and a silver Sony WEGA TV. I think it looks fine. I don't really understand why you think it'd look strange.
Old 01-07-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Whats up with all the silver tvs?

Originally posted by namrufmot
How ridiculous would it look to have a silver tv in a room full of black equipment?
IMO, not very.

Black and silver go together just fine.
Old 01-07-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have all black, but as I've upgraded I've been forced to buy some silver. Now I've got black, grey and silver components. The all get along.
Old 01-07-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a solution for you, buy a big screen projection TV. There are plenty of black ones, if you stay away from sony.

Seriously, I have both black and silver components in my HT. Looks just fine, IMO.
Old 01-07-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
All my equipment except for my TV is black; it is silver/grey. At first I was surprised at how many were non-black; but then I thought about it and came up with some reasons why they are non-black.

* Variety--yes, we may like a lot of cool black stuff, but a lot of people might want a choice in colors.

* Size--especially for the bigger tv's, you've got something that is 3-6 feet tall and 4-8 feet wide. That can take a large chunk out of any room. If it's black, it becomes a visual anchor, drawing attention to itself, andmaking the room look smaller and darker. Contrariwise, if it's silver/grey, it's a little more neutral, a little brighter, and doesn't "take over" the room as much.

* Cleanliness-- like Brian Shannon said, black shows dirt, smudges, fingerprints easier than silver. So the silver chassis can 'look' cleaner, thus again making the room itself look bigger/cleaner.

My observations are aimed more at the 'average' or slightlyaboveaverage consumer; ie, not the people with dedicated darkroom home theaters, where you'd want it all black because it goes pitch black when you watch a DVD; but rather about people who get a big tv as their 'main' tv.
Old 01-07-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, I have the opposite...

I have a BLACK Mitsubishi 55" TV
Then I have silver components:
Silver Comcast HDTV box
Silver Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver
Silver/Chrome Panasonic RP-82 DVD player

and a XBOX
Old 01-08-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You'd be surprised how many people completely flip out over the colors that television sets come in (or lack of). When I worked at Circuit City I had more than a few people stomp out of the store fuming that we didn't carry a certain TV in black.
Old 01-08-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm waiting for fuchsia.
Ooh, polka dot.

Or how about tv-friendly contact paper, so you can change your tv's look as easily as changing a, something else that's easy to change.
Old 01-08-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dtcarson

Or how about tv-friendly contact paper, so you can change your tv's look as easily as changing a, something else that's easy to change.
They should make AV cases like dishwashers and fridges. You can just change the outside panel to go from white, beige, avacado, burnt orange or stainless.

I think I'd have the burnt orange and avacado HT.

Black: Receiver, VCR, center speaker, turntable.
Silver: TV, 2 DVD players.
Grey: CDR, TiVo, Some other expensive box I haven't figured out what it is or what it does but it all goes to hell when I remove it.
Old 01-08-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by dtcarson
I'm waiting for fuchsia.
Ooh, polka dot.

Old 01-08-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by renaldow
They should make AV cases like dishwashers and fridges. You can just change the outside panel to go from white, beige, avacado, burnt orange or stainless.

I think I'd have the burnt orange and avacado HT.

Black: Receiver, VCR, center speaker, turntable.
Silver: TV, 2 DVD players.
Grey: CDR, TiVo, Some other expensive box I haven't figured out what it is or what it does but it all goes to hell when I remove it.
Oh, the DRTOEGTH [Don't Remove This Or Everything Goes To Hell]. That's an integral part of any hometheater/entertainment center. Also known as the HWTDDTT! [Honey What's This Do--Don't Touch That! I've got a remote for that, and somehow, that's the remote my 15-month old always finds.

Sometimes my comparisons fizzle out.