Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - R3

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R3 edition (available from HK dealers, yesasia, etc) seems to be an NTSC version of the two-disc set that is coming out in the UK in a while.

As well as extended extras, this version has DTS.

Sounds like a good deal for fans of the film who don't want to do PAL.

Anybody got a hold of this disc yet, and are able to give a quality assessment?
Old 01-07-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh...

Yeah, so I'm not touching this one with a 50 foot pole.
Old 01-10-04, 03:38 PM

I smell thread crap...

Here is some comparisons between R1 and R3 HK edition...
http://www.dng.idv.tw/dvdreviews/200.../lxg_r3_01.htm

The second comparison shot is about video definition (L for R1, R for R3)

Here is the bitrate map for R1(Green) and R3(Red)

The conclusion is that R3 is the NTSC version of the R2 UK and is much better than the R1 conuterpart. R3 HK edition has better blacks and greyscale and better definition. Also the color saturation is a tad better. The DTS on R3 HK edition improves upon the already decent R1 DD track.

Last edited by chucky7; 01-10-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-10-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For my post to be a threadcrap, I'd have actually had to say something that criticizes/ridiculescriticizes/ridicules the thread starter or the thread itself. Since I didn't, it's not threadcrap. Sorry Chucky, smells all good in da hood.
Old 01-10-04, 05:56 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
Valuable info, i'm getting the HK edition...

what about
http://www.dng.idv.tw/dvdreviews/200..._raider_r2.htm

What version should I get? What is the reviewer saying? Where is video/audio better?

What does the green lines at the end of the review mean?
Old 01-10-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Heliosphann
For my post to be a threadcrap, I'd have actually had to say something that criticizes/ridiculescriticizes/ridicules the thread starter or the thread itself. Since I didn't, it's not threadcrap. Sorry Chucky, smells all good in da hood.
Actually:
One commonly seen threadcrap is someone posting that "___________ is a crappy movie" in a thread dedicated to information about the movie's DVD release. The point of the thread isn't to discuss the quality of the movie, but to discuss the movie's DVD release.
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=235044&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Anyway, I don't know if I am going to pick this up or not. I have the R1 already. What exactly are the extended exras that aren't available on the R1? I enjoyed this movie, but I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to double dip....the extras will make me rethink that though.
Old 01-10-04, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info, chucky7, and the synopsis - otherwise I wouldn't have a clue!

Sounds like the R3 is worth a go, and nice and cheap at CD Wow right now...
Old 01-11-04, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Pelayu

what about
http://www.dng.idv.tw/dvdreviews/200..._raider_r2.htm

What version should I get? What is the reviewer saying? Where is video/audio better?

What does the green lines at the end of the review mean?
The first line is about the story/plot, the score is 6/10
The second line is about the video performance which is 7/10
The thrid line is about the audio performance, which is 8/10
The last is the special features, which is 6/10

This is the review for R2 Jap first press edition(with full birtate dts). In the review, it is compared to R2 Jap anniversary edition (with half birtate dts) and R3 Taiwanese edition, which is exactly the same with R1.

The review rates R2 Jap first press edition the best. But since the audio track is flawed inherently, don't expect it to be reference level (I have the Italian version, which has Italian dts 96/24 track and it still does not sound that good)
Old 01-11-04, 01:02 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
thank you for translating!
I don't think I can shell out for a Japanese release... So R3 HK release has DD only? I thought it had DTS ...hmm The korean release has DTS. It should be as good as the Japanese one, huh?

thx!
Old 01-11-04, 03:57 PM
Banned

The Korean release will NOT be as good as the Japanese one. As stated above, it's half bit rate.
Old 01-11-04, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
oh, please. anyone with a brain knows your post was just threadcrapping.
Old 01-11-04, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Pelayu
thank you for translating!
I don't think I can shell out for a Japanese release... So R3 HK release has DD only? I thought it had DTS ...hmm The korean release has DTS. It should be as good as the Japanese one, huh?

thx!
No!!!

The review is for Tomb Raider, not Tomb Raider 2!!! The Korean Version is the same with Taiwanese and R1 Version. No dts.

The korean release of Tomb Raider 2 has DTS. I have it.
Old 01-11-04, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by fnordboy
Anyway, I don't know if I am going to pick this up or not. I have the R1 already. What exactly are the extended exras that aren't available on the R1? I enjoyed this movie, but I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to double dip....the extras will make me rethink that though.
Since R3 HK Edition is the same as R2 UK edition, you can just compare the specs with R1 counterpart.

My verdict is, quite a lot (R1 is 1 disc, where as R3 and R2 is 2 discs).
Old 01-13-04, 09:27 PM

According to http://dvdcompare.org.uk/, the R3 HK is NOT the same as the R2 UK. Apparently there are no extra features on disc 1 (no audio commentaries). That's too bad if it's true - can anyone clarify?
Old 01-13-04, 09:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
actually it's http://dvdcompare.net
Old 01-13-04, 11:55 PM

Giles,
forgot about their name change, but I guess my old bookmark still works. However, if that site is accurate, then it's too bad - I'm not a big fan of PAL, but love commentaries: so I guess I'm stuck with either/or! Anyone else have more info?
Old 01-14-04, 01:04 AM

http://www.dng.idv.tw/dvdreviews/200.../lxg_r3_01.htm

here's your "league of extraordinary gentlemen" region 3 dvd review! it states there is a DTS track and even provides R1/R3 video comparison.

i remember going to this site before. this site is great. possibly the only chinese language site to have really in-depth DVD reviews. i'd love to translate some of their reviews but damn...this guy gets into so much details, i doubt i can do it justice.
Old 01-14-04, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Chi23
According to http://dvdcompare.org.uk/, the R3 HK is NOT the same as the R2 UK. Apparently there are no extra features on disc 1 (no audio commentaries). That's too bad if it's true - can anyone clarify?
Well, you are wrong... and so is http://dvdcompare.org.uk
According to the link I posted, R3 HK edition indeed has the audio commentaries, one from the producer and 3 other people, the other from fashion design/visual effect/ model.. blahblah... personnels
Old 01-14-04, 11:13 AM

Chi23, if you love commentaries and don't like PAL, check out the R3 Korean version. I'm sure it has 2 commentaries, like the R1, and it has a second disk full of stuff. I thought the movie was just okay, but this set will make me buy it.
Old 01-14-04, 03:42 PM

Thanks so much for the clarification. I read that review, but the translation was bad and I coudn't read all of the info. I was hoping that it was a mistake, and I'm glad that it has the commentaries. As for which R3 version to get, I haven't seen or don't know where to look for the Korean version. I was planning to use cd-wow.net, which just states it as generic "Region 3 - South Asia":

http://www2.cd-wow.net/detail_result...duct_code=8932

Over at yesasia.com, their listing is more informative, and actually lists Deltamac as the publisher (which made me worry since dvdcompare.net lists NO commentaries specifically for the Deltamac version), and it has different coverart.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

Layoyo.com lists similar info, and my favorite dddhouse.com apparently isn't carrying it at all. Which version do any of you intend to pick up, and from where online?
Old 01-14-04, 05:31 PM
Cool New Member

Chi23,

CD WOW!, where I ordered my copy, carries the Deltamac/Fox version which has the commentaries
Old 01-14-04, 11:09 PM

Here is Korean Special Edition comes with Hologram Card for upcoming movie" Tomorrow" and Tiny size Calender of League...

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=3PqEqivf
Old 01-15-04, 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the info, I look forward getting it...
Old 01-19-04, 12:08 PM

Well, it seems that cd-wow doesn't carry R3 HK version of LXG any more...
Old 01-21-04, 04:18 PM
Cool New Member

Check the site from time to time, CD-WOW! removes titles if they are out of stock and relists them as soon as there are new copies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.