Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Malcolm in the Middle Season 2 ???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-05-04, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has there been any notice of season two of Malcom in the Middle coming out? I got season one last year and would like to get season 2. Has there been any official reason why season 2 is not yet released? I have read some rumors but I haven't read anything official.
Old 01-05-04, 04:55 AM

Nevermind, found my answer. For anyone interested:

Season 2 (plus Other Shows) Hamstrung by Music Clearances
Posted by David Lambert
11/30/2003

After the quick post-broadcast release of the first season of Malcolm In The Middle, Fox Home Entertainment looked forward to releasing The Complete Second Season on DVD as well. In fact, plans were originally made to have that set in consumer hands before 2003 was over.

So why the delay? The answer is given by Randy Salas, DVD Columnist and Entertainment Wire Editor at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. In his new article today, "Facing The Music: Legal Hurdles Can Keep TV Shows From Coming Out On DVD", Salas explains that music rights costs can affect more recent shows than WKRP In Cincinnati or Beverly Hill 90210:

'Malcolm' in a muddle

Even current shows can be problematic. Last year, Fox released a three-disc set of the first season of "Malcolm in the Middle," a show that debuted in 2000. The set sold well enough to merit a second-season release, but higher costs to clear the music have so far scuttled the project, (Fox Senior V.P. Peter) Staddon said.

The article discusses how only the most recent TV series took into account the idea of clearing music for DVD and other home video uses at the same time as clearing it for broadcast, and that anything previous to a few years ago (the start of DVD's mass-market era) can run into this kind of trouble. "When they were creating these shows, they didn't pay for stuff they weren't going to use," TVShowsOnDVD owner Gord Lacey is quoted as saying. "Now it's coming back to bite them."

To learn more about this issue, which can possibly affect anyone's favorite shows (including how much you pay for them), we encourage you to read Randy Salas' excellent article in its entirety (free registration may be required).

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=2189
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=870
Old 01-14-04, 06:51 AM

Now is this a delay, or is that the end of the project for Season Two on DVD? Obviously it can't be that problematic since they managed to release Season One... I am desperately looking forward to a Season Two, Three, Four and Five release of the show - its one of my favourite shows on TV.

I am hoping that Fox can work out these problems. Any ideas if its feasible?

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-15-04, 04:31 AM

Feasible. They just need to get with the cretaors of the show and figure out what songs are too expensive to include, pick cheaper alternates, and do the replacement. The delay is all about this, I'm sure. I figure it'll be out later this year, just with music replacement (like Disney did on Felicity Season 2)
Old 01-15-04, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No original music = No Sale!
Old 01-20-04, 06:57 AM

What I dont understand, is that they've succeeded with Season 1 right? Now if they have rights issues with Season 2, presumably they've had rights issues with Season 1. But they managed to get Season 1 out. So what's the delay about Season 2? I hope they've taken the rights issue into account with Season 5. Perhaps we'll see Season 5 come out before Season 2.

I know that once they're all released, I'll be buying them all. So get your move on, Fox.

Cya
Simon
Old 01-20-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sjdean
What I dont understand, is that they've succeeded with Season 1 right? Now if they have rights issues with Season 2, presumably they've had rights issues with Season 1. But they managed to get Season 1 out. So what's the delay about Season 2?
Season 2 had nine more episodes than Season 1. Those S2 episodes also used more music. More episodes and more music in them means more negotiations and more money to clear that music.

Clearing the music for S1 was apparently financially viable, based on the costs and decent sales of the DVD. Now that Fox knows what the audience is for the show on DVD--Fox has found that subsequent releases of a TV show on DVD sell in the same ballpark as previous releases--it has apparently decided that the size of that audience isn't large enough to justify the extra costs of clearing the extra music.

So, the rights issues for S1 and S2 aren't the same at all. That's what Fox said in the article.
Old 02-02-04, 06:56 AM

Hi,

Sorry, I misinterpreted the article... I can see how it all comes down to the cost to clear the extra music for the extra episodes. But is this just a delay, or is Season 2 actually stopped? Be nice to know that Fox are still looking to release it...

And are Fox now more fully aware of these issues in the production of the later seasons? Perhaps we'll see a Season 5 released before Season 2 at this rate!

Cya
Simon
Old 06-01-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates on this? I'm dying for S2 now.
Old 09-13-04, 10:45 AM

It's coming to mass syndication around here (2 episodes / day, 5 days / week) making me think that maybe they have worked out some of the license issues. If so, maybe we'll see this season eventually. As much as I'd hate it, I would almost rather have them change up the music they are having a problem with and ship it. Maybe throw in a documentary about the music issues.
Old 09-13-04, 12:25 PM

Waiting for it too.
Old 09-13-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by mverleg1
It's coming to mass syndication around here (2 episodes / day, 5 days / week) making me think that maybe they have worked out some of the license issues. If so, maybe we'll see this season eventually.
IIRC, the licensing issues never involved syndication. Thus, I wouldn't read anything into seeing season 2 in syndication.
Old 05-13-05, 09:18 PM

Has anyone heard if this has been resolved. I'd love to get s2 on dvd.
Old 10-09-05, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
So it seems the series wont make it to dvd
Old 10-09-05, 09:02 AM

Put in an orchestral track... I don't care. Just get the DVD out. I don't recall a single song in any of the episodes anyway (other than in that one opera episode), so I don't care what music they use.
Old 10-09-05, 01:42 PM

Season 1 was released before the RIAA started hounding the DVD releases.

Other such titles that were fine BEFORE the RIAA got involved include: Quantum Leap Season 1, Married With Children 1 & 2, and others I can't think of. So it's because of the RIAA being involved now, while they weren't with the first set.
Old 10-09-05, 02:23 PM

I want this set SO bad, my 1st season looks so lonely on my shelf...
Old 10-09-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
If we were holding our breath for this one we would already be dead and buried. I don't see it happening until the producers stop making the show and they start going broke. Then they will go out of their way to get these sets on dvd so they can put money in their pocket. By that time few of us will care.
Old 09-30-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Arise from the dead, thread!

I'm a huge fan of the show and just got the season 1 DVDs, which I'm enjoying immensely. But I've been aware that S1 came out on DVD years ago and hasn't been followed up with S2, and was going to ask here, but figured I'd do a search first.

So, any new news on further MitM DVDs? This music licensing stuff is bullcrap.
Old 10-01-06, 12:32 AM

I don't remember there being that much music in MitM. I'll have to listen for it when I watch the reruns.
Old 10-01-06, 12:45 AM
Banned

I hate "Malcolm in the Middle" so I don't want anyone reading this to confuse me for a fan but I just saw this thread and something has occured to me.

I don't understand why Fox won't even release future "MITM" seasons with music replacement when they apparantly have no problem releasing "My Name Is Earl" with replaced music.
Old 10-01-06, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
I hate "Malcolm in the Middle" so I don't want anyone reading this to confuse me for a fan but I just saw this thread and something has occured to me.

I don't understand why Fox won't even release future "MITM" seasons with music replacement when they apparantly have no problem releasing "My Name Is Earl" with replaced music.
Fox didn't release My Name is Earl. If it was Universal, on the other hand, you can guarantee they would have replaced all the music in Malcom.

We need music rights laws for DVD releases like they have in the UK.
Old 10-01-06, 02:48 AM
Banned

Fox didn't release My Name is Earl.
Yes, Fox DID release "My Name Is Earl".

I love it when people correct correct information with incorrect information.
Old 10-01-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Yes, Fox DID release "My Name Is Earl".

I love it when people correct correct information with incorrect information.
I would say sorry, but it was another thread where I saw somebody say it was Universal. Sue them.
Old 10-01-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I believe that the second season was never planned because the sales for season 1 were so horribly low...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.