Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for help with picking a new receiver and speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a new receiver and see that Circuit City has the Onkyo 701 on sale for $720; Best Buy has the Yamaha 5590 on sale for $664. Seems like Onkyo has generally received better reviews recently, but I'm wondering how members here feel about how these two particular models stack up against each other. Which should I get? Please keep in mind that I'm limited to either Best Buy or Circuit City per the wife's orders (store credit cards with room to charge). Thanks for any input!

P.S. -- I also saw that my local CC has 2 open-box Infinity Alpha 50 floor speakers for $300 each. Seems like a good deal, as the list is $500 each and CC currently has them on sale for $400 each. Anybody know anything about these speakers? Would buying these speakers change a recommendation on which receiver I should go with? Thanks.

Edit: I actually went over to Circuit City yesterday, intending to buy the Onkyo 701, and saw that they have the Onkyo 601 on sale for $450. That's $270 less than the 701! I'm so confused, just don't know if the 701 is worth the extra money for my application -- mostly watching movies (HD cable and DVD). Looks like the 701 has all the features of the 601, plus: large set of pre-in/out connections; 15 more watts per channel; digital coax audio out; THX certification. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to add an extra amplifier to take advantage of the pre-outs, so is it worth $270 for the other extra stuff (plus anything I didn't notice -- ??)? Thanks again for any input!
Old 01-04-04, 09:50 AM

24-hours-with-no-response-slash-self-pity-bump.
Old 01-04-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you *really* want to limit yourself to CC or BB? Why again?

You can get the Yammie for $500 shipped, instead of $664 plus tax. And the Onkyo 601 for $400 shipped. Those savings will cover any 'interest' that you could pay later. Why spend more$$$ for the identical item for a bit of 'convenience'?

Anyway, the 601 will be fine for your needs--don't need the pre-ins/outs unlessmaybe you get a dvd-audio player later, etc. And the onkyo will have plenty of power. The yammie will also be a good choice. But buying at BB or CC is not, IMO.
Old 01-04-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would have to say go for a Sony. When I mean Sony I mean the ES line and not the $hit they sell at BB or CC. Take a look at the DA5ES or the DA3ES or even the new line this year the str-da500es. Now that baby rocks.

Link to the da500es and prices!
http://bizrate.lycos.com/,mss__cat_i...1,rf--wgg.html
Old 01-04-04, 11:24 PM

Have you looked at Denon?

6ave had the Denon 3803 for $648 + 6 cents shipping in December. I'd call and see if you can still get that price.
Old 01-04-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeez, lose the Sony advice! Sure, an ES may be a decent receiver (their low end is pure junk), but you can get equally good quality receivers for MUCH less.

I'll save y'all a click on the link above--the ES goes for over $1k. You can get an excellent yammie/denon/onkyo that will fit the bill for about half that (yes, $$$ *is* a concern--read the post you replied to). No need to spend over $1k here. And, you could get an awesome Denon for the price of the Sony that would kill it(which is the way I would go).
Old 01-04-04, 11:48 PM

Yeah, I appreciate the help, but no way I'm going with Sony. Not only have I heard bad things all over the place about their receivers (and yes, I know many believe the ES line is a different story), but I had a Sony receiver that was nothing but trouble. Thanks but no thanks. I'm also very aware that there are much, much better deals available online, vs. CC/BB stuff, but I have been instructed, as discussed in my first post, to use available credit at those stores. So for now, I'm very limited, which is why I'm talking about Yamaha (Best Buy) and Onkyo (CC). CC also carries Harmon Karden, so that may be an option. No 6ave, onecall or ecost deals .... for now. I'm working on it

Edit: BB just dropped the regular price on the Yamaha to $700, and 10% coupons are in the mail, so it will be $630 this coming weekend; still much more than the best deal elsewhere, but better than $664.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-04-04 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-05-04, 01:03 AM

If you are willing to pay that much, I suggest that you choose a model that supports the new Dolby Prologic IIx (simulation to 7.1 instead of 5.1 in Prologic II). I do not have a clue which models at CC or BB have that feature. However, the receiver that is gaining a lot of attention is Panasonic XR45. You can read all about it at www.avsforum.com. It is a 5.1 receiver that can be bought at less than $300 at CC and BB. It is one of the few "purely digital" receiver on the market (and affordable too).
Old 01-05-04, 02:49 AM
AOD

Re: Looking for help with picking a new receiver and speakers

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
I'm looking for a new receiver and see that Circuit City has the Onkyo 701 on sale for $720; Best Buy has the Yamaha 5590 on sale for $664. Seems like Onkyo has generally received better reviews recently, but I'm wondering how members here feel about how these two particular models stack up against each other. Which should I get? Please keep in mind that I'm limited to either Best Buy or Circuit City per the wife's orders (store credit cards with room to charge). Thanks for any input!

Edit: I actually went over to Circuit City yesterday, intending to buy the Onkyo 701, and saw that they have the Onkyo 601 on sale for $450. That's $270 less than the 701! I'm so confused, just don't know if the 701 is worth the extra money for my application -- mostly watching movies (HD cable and DVD). Looks like the 701 has all the features of the 601, plus: large set of pre-in/out connections; 15 more watts per channel; digital coax audio out; THX certification. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to add an extra amplifier to take advantage of the pre-outs, so is it worth $270 for the other extra stuff (plus anything I didn't notice -- ??)? Thanks again for any input!
Dah-Dee,
For the price you are looking to pay, you might as well drop by Good Guys and get something in Yamaha's RX receivers (better power supply, build, etc..) instead of their HTR series receivers. For about that same price you can get a brand new RX-V1400. Or if you look REALLY hard you can get a RX-V3300 (on closeout, and one step below their flagship receivers-the RX-Z1 and Z9) for less than that. The RX-V3300, for $649 if you can find one at Good Guys, is a STEAL (original MSRP of $1599!). At that price point I wouldn't consider anything else. But, If you can't find a 3300, I think you would be wise to look at the RX-V 1400 and 2400. They are, IMHO, the best receivers for the price right now (new models). Just please don't limit yourself to BB and CC. Just remember, there is no source material that has discrete 7.1 on it. It is matrixed between the two rear center channels! You may be wiser to get a fully loaded 6.1 receiver. All IMHO of course.

Last edited by AOD; 01-05-04 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-05-04, 11:44 PM

No Good Guys stores anywhere close to me, and I don't see Yamaha receivers on their web site.
Old 01-06-04, 02:15 AM
AOD

No Good Guys stores anywhere close to me, and I don't see Yamaha receivers on their web site.
Yamaha will not allow their RX line to be sold online, it is geared toward the more hifi B&M dealers (although you can get the HTR line online from authorized etailers). I would recommend logging on to yamaha's website and seeing if there is a authorized dealer in your area. Yamaha is very strict when it comes to the warranty for their products. If it is not bought at an authorized dealer, the manufacturers warranty is null and void. Best of luck.
Old 01-06-04, 08:05 AM

I do have an Audio Express nearby that carries Yamaha -- they've got the 1400 and 2400, but they want $800 for the 1400 and $1000 for the 2400! They're the only authorized Yamaha dealer in my area according to the Yamaha web site.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-06-04 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-06-04, 05:37 PM
AOD

Did they have any more 3300's in stock? If not perhaps they will bargain on the price of the 1400 or 2400. You may be able to find a better price online, but Yamaha will NOT warranty those. They are both excellent receiver's (as many people can vouch for) and you will not be dissapointed with either one.
Old 01-10-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there is a cheaper version online of the same model youve seen in the store, print the ad and take it to BB or CC. They will match and give 10% of the difference. They say they dont match online prices, but if you stand your ground a bit, they will give it to you for the cheaper price + no interest financing.
Old 01-10-04, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by AOD
Did they have any more 3300's in stock? If not perhaps they will bargain on the price of the 1400 or 2400. You may be able to find a better price online, but Yamaha will NOT warranty those. They are both excellent receiver's (as many people can vouch for) and you will not be dissapointed with either one.
No, they didn't have a 3300; they did have a 1300 but I didn't ask about the price.
Old 01-10-04, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
If there is a cheaper version online of the same model youve seen in the store, print the ad and take it to BB or CC. They will match and give 10% of the difference. They say they dont match online prices, but if you stand your ground a bit, they will give it to you for the cheaper price + no interest financing.
Has anyone had luck price-matching Best Buy or Circuit City to onecall, or ecost, or 6th ave, places like that?
Old 01-10-04, 04:37 PM

I'm actually thinking of getting the speakers first, as the open-box Infinity Alpha 50s are still at my local Circuit City, although they're $340 each instead of $300 each like I thought. Anyway, seems like I've been reading a lot lately about speakers making the biggest difference in performance, so I may snag the deal on the speakers while they're still there and wait for a better deal, such as the anticipated March 25%-off-open-box deal at Best Buy like they had last year, on the receiver. Tough decision.

Edit: Best Buy is doing its best (hah) to complicate things; the Yamaha 5590 had a price drop to $699, and there's now an instant $50 rebate, making it $649 at the register. In addition, I ust got the mail and it has a 10% off coupon for this weekend -- so knock off another $65, making it $585. Still almost $130 more than the best price I found online, but tempting nevertheless. Oh, I also have a Reward Zone card there, meaning I'd get approx. 4.5% back in gift certs for future purchases. Just as good as cash since I'm in that accursed place all the time anyway. So ... looks like that would make the final price approx. $559, approx. $100 more than the lowest price online. Very tempting.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-10-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 10:11 AM

Anybody have these Infinity Alpha speakers? Hoping for some (more detailed) customer reviews in addition to the handful at the CC web site. Thanks!

Here's my current 5.1 setup:

*Teac AG-D9100 receiver
*JBL ARC center channel speaker
*MCS Series A 8290 Honeycomb Disc Speaker System floor speakers (made by Technics [???] for J.C. Penney -- anybody have ANY info/opinions on these speakers?!?)
*EPI Series 3 Model 70 bookshelf (rear surround) speakers (made by Harman Int'l)
*Sony SA-WM40 powered subwoofer

*Panasonic PT-53WX42 HDTV
*Panasonic RP56 DVD player
*Gamecube
*Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD STB(Comcast Cable digital/HD cable)

I'm thinking of:
(1) Replacing the receiver with an Onkyo 701 or something similar;
(2) Replacing the floor speakers with the Infinity Alphas -- perhaps moving the MCS speakers elsewhere in the room for a more elaborate (6.1/7.1?) surround setup (suggestions?) or into another room along with the Teac for a second system (second TV in that room, no audio system yet);
(3) Eventually moving the JBL center to the rear center and (if I buy the Alphas) picking up a matching Alpha center channel speaker (37?) for the front.

I'm debating whether to buy a new receiver first or buy the Alphas instead and wait (probably a couple of months) for the receiver, which I really do want to add, for DTS/HD-sufficient component video switching/power. I'd appreciate any input.
Old 01-11-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go the http://www.av123.com

Their speakers are apparently way better than what you'd otherwise get for the price plus if you call them they'll help put together a package with a name brand receiver (like Denon) at a pretty big discount. Plus their customer service seems to be out of control good (like the-CEO-calls-you-on-Sunday-to-make-sure-everything-is-ok good.)
Old 01-11-04, 11:46 AM

I went to their product demo in Dallas last year. Very good products. A friend of mine just bought the denon / elht speakers from them and loves them.
Old 01-11-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My overall recommendation would be pretty much like the system I have: Pick up 4 NHT Superzeros at $90 each and a SuperCenter for $160, all from onecall. These speakers are fabulous, with an excellent open soundstage and very accurate for both HT and music. I doubt you'll find better speakers for the $$$. Add a good sub of your choice, and a high-current receiver (Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo) for a clear, loud, impactful audio system.
Old 01-11-04, 01:43 PM

I had looked into online deals such as those some of you suggested on the speakers, but I had marching orders from the boss to use our revolving Circuit City (or Best Buy) account for this purchase. I'm hoping that in March when I pick a receiver we'll be able to take advantage of the much better deals available online. I've started saving my pennies for that purchase!

Thank you very much for all the input; I went ahead and bought the Infinity Alpha 50s at CC; haven't hooked them up yet, want to snag some banana plugs and heavier gauge speaker wire first. I see they're "bi-wirable." Anybody familiar with this? Not sure whether my current receiver can do this or what difference it might make in performance. Thanks for any additional input.
Old 01-11-04, 02:57 PM

Edit: Best Buy is doing its best (hah) to complicate things; the Yamaha 5590 had a price drop to $699, and there's now an instant $50 rebate, making it $649 at the register. In addition, I ust got the mail and it has a 10% off coupon for this weekend -- so knock off another $65, making it $585. Still almost $130 more than the best price I found online, but tempting nevertheless. Oh, I also have a Reward Zone card there, meaning I'd get approx. 4.5% back in gift certs for future purchases. Just as good as cash since I'm in that accursed place all the time anyway. So ... looks like that would make the final price approx. $559, approx. $100 more than the lowest price online. Very tempting.
Good grief; the new Best Buy ad advertises double Reward Zone points on home audio; so the effective price of the 5590 (if I buy it today with the 10% off coupon) would be approx. $535. Yikes.
Old 01-12-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still don't see how paying $100 *more* for a receiver at BB can be regarded as 'tempting.' I'd opt for saving $100 myself. Although it is a really great receiver.
Old 01-12-04, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by drmoze
I still don't see how paying $100 *more* for a receiver at BB can be regarded as 'tempting.' I'd opt for saving $100 myself. Although it is a really great receiver.
Well, it was actually down to $76 more than the lowest price I saw online, and I'd have it in my grubby little hands instantly, no shipping costs (making the difference even smaller, like $35-40 instead), and I wouldn't be in trouble for disobeying my wife's orders to use the BB or CC accounts for this purchase. That's why it was tempting.

In any event, it's a moot point for now -- I passed on the 5590, got the Infinity Alpha 50 floor speakers instead. They sound incredible! This will also give me more time to save my pennies so that in March, when the birthday checks come in from family, I can hunt online for one of the many great deals available (maybe even step up a bit, to an Onkyo 801, or Yamaha 2400, Denon 3803), and thereby avoid all these reprimands from you guys

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-12-04 at 08:41 PM.