Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Banned - Xbox Live

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Banned - Xbox Live

Just a heads up for those with modded xboxes. I was banned and didn't know it. Many of the new games are Live Aware. These games will automatically log you in if your profile name is the same as your gamer tag name. Stupid Rainbow Six 3 nailed me. Now I'm off in search for a new eeprom.
Old 01-03-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Butthead] That's why you need 2 XBoxes, dillweed [/Butthead]
Old 01-03-04, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Join the club
This happened to my xbox after I got nailed by DDR Ultramix. I don't go on live that much so i'll probaly just pick up another xbox later if I find one cheap unmodded one to get back on.
Old 01-03-04, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

[butthead] hehehehe...you dumbass[/butthead]
Old 01-03-04, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Just call up and complain to Microsoft and demand a refund; you paid for a service and you should receive what you paid for. If they want to ban you, that's their right, but they should refund your money prorated.

Then after you complain to them, make sure you erase all the illegally copied games on your harddrive just in case they decide to sue you.
Old 01-03-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by funkyryno

Then after you complain to them, make sure you erase all the illegally copied games on your harddrive just in case they decide to sue you.
Ahh , the old if you have a modchip your a pirate. I paid for every game i've ever played on any of my platforms.
Old 01-03-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by cubanx
Ahh , the old if you have a modchip your a pirate. I paid for every game i've ever played on any of my platforms.
As usually they treat everyone like a criminal and usually the people using modchips honestly are the ones that have to suffer.
Old 01-03-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seems that my account is not banned, just my xbox. A new xbox would solve the problem. And, I also own every game on my system. The convenience of having all 30 or so games I have stored on the 120 gb hard drive was what drove me to do the mod. I can see why they ban people though, the chances of people cheating during live games is way to high. Blizzard was smart when they started battle.net for the same reasons. I am not pissed off, just a dumbass who wasn't careful enough. I don't play online that much but, I do like to get the downloadable content.
Old 01-03-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I use my xbox with ANY XBox game, I just turn the chip off first. If I'm gonna use the mod for emulators, the media player or other stuff I'll turn it on. It's a bit of a pain but this way I'm always in the clear.
Old 01-03-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really want to support xbl because I believe that online gaming is the way of the future, but stuff like this makes it hard for me to. My box is softmodded, so I've never even tried live, but I'd like to think that just because the box is networked, it won't "dial-out"
Old 01-03-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cardiff Giant
When I use my xbox with ANY XBox game, I just turn the chip off first. If I'm gonna use the mod for emulators, the media player or other stuff I'll turn it on. It's a bit of a pain but this way I'm always in the clear.
That should work, should I not? Or unplug your ethernet cable when not wanting to play online.
Old 01-03-04, 11:24 PM

What is a softmodded xbox?
Old 01-04-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
As usually they treat everyone like a criminal and usually the people using modchips honestly are the ones that have to suffer.
and what percent of people use a modchip honestly?
Old 01-04-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by actyper
are you asking, "What % of people use a mod chip and do it honestly?" Or "Honestly, what % of people use a mod chip?"
Old 01-04-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by menaz
What is a softmodded xbox?
Using software glitches like the one in Mechassault to rewrite the operating system and allow it to most most everything a modded xbox would do.
Old 01-04-04, 03:12 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by actyper
Seeing that a mod chip violates the user agreement for using the thing, exactly zero percent.
Old 01-04-04, 04:01 PM

That's what you get. It's in MS's best interest to protect it's Live service from possible hackers, cheaters, and software pirates, and i'm glad to see a company finally cracking down on pirates/thieves.
Old 01-05-04, 04:46 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

yeah but if you have a modchip, and to use it to buy japanese, games how are you a pirate or a thief, you are actually giving MS or any other company more money
Old 01-05-04, 09:27 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
yeah but if you have a modchip, and to use it to buy japanese, games how are you a pirate or a thief, you are actually giving MS or any other company more money
The EULA is a binding legal document, like it or not. So if you violate it, you are NOT "using the mod chip honestly". Deal with it. I'm not saying to NOT use one, but know that 100 percent of all people using a mod chip are, BY DEFINITION, doing it dishonestly.
Old 01-05-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lets not start up the legal argument again about DMA and EULA as it's been discussed about dvd's and games extensively in the past. The OP was not angry at anyone and was letting everyone using a chip some games that cause live auto-login.

A new xbox is $179, it's not a big deal just to buy another one or just not use the $50 live service. Most people know if you don't have money for another console don't mod your only one.
Old 01-05-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
The EULA is a binding legal document, like it or not. So if you violate it, you are NOT "using the mod chip honestly". Deal with it. I'm not saying to NOT use one, but know that 100 percent of all people using a mod chip are, BY DEFINITION, doing it dishonestly.
Are you sure the XBox has a EULA? I thought only software could have EULAs... I didn't buy a license to use an xbox, I bought an xbox, and I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

I could see XBox LIVE having an EULA, or I suppose the xbox bios could have some kind of EULA on it (not sure about that, though). But then, you could always install a modchip, and put on that completely legal linux bios, and then I don't see how you could be accused of violating any EULA.
Old 01-05-04, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by joeblow69
... I didn't buy a license to use an xbox, I bought an xbox, and I should be able to do whatever I want with it.
My feelings exactly. You give these people your hard earned money and then they try to tell you what you can and cant do with what you just bought. Microsoft and Sony whine so much about mod chips because they supposedly violate their copyrights, but arent they violating our right to make a legal copy of software we own by not allowing us to do so?
Old 01-05-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by joeblow69
Are you sure the XBox has a EULA? I thought only software could have EULAs... I didn't buy a license to use an xbox, I bought an xbox, and I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

I could see XBox LIVE having an EULA, or I suppose the xbox bios could have some kind of EULA on it (not sure about that, though). But then, you could always install a modchip, and put on that completely legal linux bios, and then I don't see how you could be accused of violating any EULA.
The live service has a eula. You can use it with an unmodded xbox which is how it should be. You can't expect MS or the game developers to code for every hack that a modded x-box can attempt. Easy solution is to block all modded x-boxes.
Old 01-05-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have the executer lite mod chip with the external switch so I can disable it when I want to. I didn't realize until it was too late that the autologin was enabled. This is not a thread about the legallity of using a modded xbox, ps2, or whatever. Just a friendly word of caution when it comes to automatic networking "features". My interest in the modded xbox is not about pirating games but, cool features like homebrew software, emulation, xbox media player, and linux. Don't assume all of use are criminals without knowing the facts.
Old 01-05-04, 09:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The reason for banning modded Xboxes has to do with cheats and hacks as much as it does with piracy issues.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.